Mystery about Astra proof marks

Posts related to handguns (pistols, revolvers)
penpusher

Mystery about Astra proof marks

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:02 am

Since the last two months I have not been able to get ammo for my .32 pistol.The dealers say that they have not been getting ammo from the IOF and most are out of stock.Those that have ammo for the .32 pistol have started charging Rs 10 premium over the 'low' price that they had been charging earlier(paid Rs.35 for one cartridge sometime back and now the dealers want Rs 45 per kartoos)

Have been conserving what I have and looking at my pistol rather than shooting it.Started checking the proof marks and this is what has confused me.

The following site http://www.9mmlargo.com/proofs/proofs.htm, lists the proof marks used by Astra. My pistol has the second and the third proof marks(from the top) ie.the one with a P in the centre and the one with a cross in it ( it also has a U which would indicate that it was manufactured in 1950 http://www.9mmlargo.com/year_codes.htm ).As per this site the first was used after 1929 and the second from 1929 to 1931.The slide has only the enclosed 'P'.There is no Astra logo on the top of the slide.The grips have the logo with U/C on them( the third drawing from the bottom here http://www.9mmlargo.com/proofs/proofs.htm).Now as per the "The complete Encylcopedia of Pistols and Revolvers" by HE Hartnik,that I have, the Astra Model 3000 was manufacutred from 1922 till 1956.However the ones with their magazine release behind the trigger guard ( the one that I have) were manufactured from 1953 onwards.The serial no. is 663577( according to one source their production ended with Sr. No.630475).There is no year of productiom marked on the pistol.There are no Nazi Swastikas either :cry: So as per the proof marks it was manufactured bet. 1929-1931 but as per the year of proof code and the manufacturing dates for the pistol it was produced in 1950's :?

Certainly not a Purdey,but 'My Preciiiiiious' :lol: Now I have something that Grumpy does not have :wink:A handgun. Want to trade it for Carpet Sahibs .275 Grumpy :wink: :wink:

penpusher

For Advertising mail webmaster
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Mystery about Astra proof marks

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:32 am

Hi penpusher, there have been many such questions about proof marks, esp when the weapon/manufactureres were from Europe, post WWI.

The 7.65mm was usually issued to paramilitary/ CID type of Nazi organisations-not that it didnt find its way to the action areas...
parts/frames/slides may have been manufactured pre WWII, if a country came under Nazi occupation-put into cold storage for more important war ordnance!!
Parts rediscovered and REPROOFED after the great hate..and put into the market.
This is notable of gun manufacturing firms in Belgium, France, Denmark.Sometime in Germany itself, where a prewar stock was rediscovered post 1945 and reproofed for sale, bearing that years stamp, as well as the original.This is the general background for several such mystery 'double' proofs, conflicting markings etc...You will also have to consider the obvious-there may have been interchange of parts -but usually rare, most times carried out with malafide intentions by bed pan salesmen masquerading as gun dealers/smiths, here in India. Hope that helps.
Best
axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

penpusher

Re: Mystery about Astra proof marks

Post by penpusher » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:51 am

Asif,

That does make sense.It's never been with a dealer and is, as it was sold by the company.

penpusher