16 bore shotgun

Posts related to shotguns.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: 16 bore shotgun

Post by Grumpy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:45 am

The decline in popularity of the 16-Bore peaked a while ago and 16-Bore prices are rising. The 16-Bore will never reach the popularity of 12-Bore or 20-Bore ( especially as the 20-Bore is becoming more and more popular for game use ) but it has an assured place in the shotgun hierarchy. Deservedly so - when built on a dedicated 16-Bore or 20-bore small frame action 16-bores are delightful to shoot providing that the shot load is kept to a maximum of around 15/16 oz ( 26 gm. ) With heavier shot loads and a lightweight action the 16-Bore - just like the 20-Bore and 12-Bore 2" lightweight - can be decidedly uncomfortable to shoot.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:33 am

Rajat,

That is a lovely gun. The wood and the case hardening are particularly lovely. The 16 bore is becoming popular with upland gunners as it is the best compromise between a 12 and a 20 bore double. It's temporary decline was due to automatic and pump guns coming out. A 16 bore repeater was as heavy as a 12 and it just did not make sense. That said, if I find a mint Browning Sweet 16 A-5, I'll buy it in the click of a finger. But then I have different tastes compared to many shooters.

Not different enough not to appreciate a superb gun like yours. 8) :D

Cheers!

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:33 am

Nice gun Rajat Congrats

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:18 pm

There were all kinds of gun made earlier. 12 bore, 16 bore, 14 bore, 14 3/4 bore, even 12 bore in 2 inch chamberings but with 1 1/16 oz load. It failed because a long shot column does not favour well in shotguns, there is a tendency for the shots to ball up.

The 2 inch Lancaster cartridge for the 12 Bore was a failure.

Grumpy if you got more info on the 2 inch Lancaster cartridge and some trivia of 14 bore and 14 3/4 bore from your internet gun sources please share it, here, it would make some interesting reading.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:20 pm

What emerged after all this shakeout was 12, 16 and 20.

Followed by 28 bore and the .410.

There were many other bores of guns made. But none of them survived after a few decades when standardisations came in.

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:38 pm

hi,

thanks everyone.

one the reasons the 16 gauge declined was most gun maker only bother the make to sizes of frames - one for the 20 and the other 12, and 16 gauge ends up on the larger frames and thus looses otherwise beautiful handling characteristics.

btw - i read in Maharaja Karni Singh's book that he used a 20 gauge for all his field shooting (obviously not for big game) and that he only got around to using 12 gauge guns once he got into competitive shooting.

in fact i would love to own a 20 gauge as well and have been on the look out for one for over 3 years now :(

i do use 15/16 loads only but still it kicks, it need a rubber butt pad, but i dont want to spoil the stock by getting one fitted, so will try to get the slip on style from the US.

:)

rajat

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:44 pm

It is great fun to fire a 20 bore. I use it all the time for trap. It is a Beretta O/U SIlver Pigeon 70 mm chamber.

Usually these days I fire Nobel cartridges, RWS no. 7 1/2 for trap. Good to handle a lighter gun.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:13 am

" even 12 bore in 2 inch chamberings but with 1 1/16 oz load. It failed because a long shot column does not favour well in shotguns, there is a tendency for the shots to ball up."

I`m afraid that doesn`t make sense. A 1 1/6 oz load in a 12-Bore doesn`t have a long shot column and the length of the case makes no difference.

I`ve never seen a 2" 12-Bore proved for 1 1/16 oz - I`ve seen one reproved for 7/8 oz loads but every other one has been proved for 3/4 oz. I use a 12-bore 2" lightweight as my main rough/walked-up shooting gun. It handles like a 20-Bore but has the advantage that it patterns far better for the same shot load because of the very short shot column. I use Lyalvale Express `Special Game` 15/16oz cartridges because the plastic shot cup maintains the patterns even better. The load is 3/16 oz over the proof rating but the pressures are low so the cartridges are safe to use.
The 12-Bore 2" lightweight was never very popular because the guns were expensive and the concept never adequately explained to the run-of-the-mill shooter. Now, of course, the guns carry hefty premium in price and are very sought after - not many guns with a high demand guarantees that the guns are very pricey.
Cartridges are readily available and made by most of the British manufacturers. US cartridge makers are also offering 2" cartridges now which has made the guns even more popular ...... and expensive.

Yes, guns used to be offered in a very wide range of bores, from 1-Bore up to beyond 70-Bore. The very small bores ( large numbers ) were rifles of course. Most of these were in the days of muzzle loaders when a precise bore didn`t matter as cartridges weren`t used. The introduction of breech loaders brought about a standardisation of bores very rapidly.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:49 am

This load of 30.1 grams was loaded in the Lancaster cartridge which balled on firing. It was called the Lancaster Pygmie. 2 inch paper case. In choked barrels it balled even more.

Red colour paper case. Dig up details. There is bound to be more history on this.