How to Trash a Shotgun

Posts related to shotguns.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

How to Trash a Shotgun

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:16 am

Nice Article: http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstre ... 92,00.html

There are plenty of ways to break a shotgun while hunting. You can slip on the ice, cracking both your head and the stock (done it); you can lean the gun against the side of a car in a gravel parking lot and drive away, gouging it horribly (done it); you can smack the barrels against a metal fence post, leaving a deep dent (seen it done—thanks, Dad).

It’s equally possible to abuse a gun unwittingly in the privacy of your own home. Both lack of care and overzealous bad maintenance age guns prematurely. Here are the most common offenses:

1. Never Clean the Gas System.
The world is full of shotgunners who clean the barrels of their autoloaders but neglect the gas system. When enough gunk builds up inside, the parts will bind and wear prematurely and the gun won’t work. Its manual will explain the routine maintenance required to keep it functioning. If you don’t have a manual, ask the manufacturer to send you one.

2. Leave the Choke Tube Alone.
You can turn an interchangeable choke tube into an immovable, rusted-in fixed choke by not cleaning and lubing it. Any time you thoroughly clean the bores, make sure you take the tube out, wipe off the old lube, clean the threads with a wire brush, put on a fresh drop of oil or grease, then screw the choke back in finger-tight. I use Birchwood Casey’s Choke Tube Lube ($6.50; 800-328-6156; www.birchwoodcasey.com).

3. Use the Wrong Lube.
WD-40 has more uses than duct tape, but lubricating guns isn’t one of them. Under the heat of firing, WD-40 and burned powder form an inky sludge that clogs moving gun parts. That sludge, I am here to tell you, is a bear to remove. Stick to lubricants specifically made for guns. Rem Oil, for instance, contains Teflon lubricant and keeps guns running smoothly in all conditions ($5.75 for a 10-ounce spray can; 800-243-9700; www.remington.com).

4. Oil the Wood.
Some people like to rub gun oil into stocks to make them shine. That oil sinks into the wood, causing it to swell and, eventually, to crack. Oil is for metal, not for gunstocks. Just wipe the wood clean and leave it alone. Be sparing with oil when you lubricate your gun’s metal parts, too. If you slather on the oil and then store the gun standing up, oil will run down into the head of the stock.

5. Keep the Old Grease in the Gun.
The Shooter’s Choice grease that comes in a syringe ($5.56; 440-834-8888; shooters-choice.com) is perfect for the trunnions or hinge pins of break-open guns. However, grease can collect powder residue and dust, turning it into a gritty compound that abrades steel. Periodically strip the old lube off of hinge pins and ejector mechanisms and put on a fresh dab.

6. Seal It in a Case.
The worst way to store a gun is to zip it into a vinyl case with a synthetic wool interior. The “wool” holds moisture, and vinyl doesn’t breathe. Store your gun like that, especially in a damp basement, and it will have a nice new coat of rust when you take it out in the fall. If you want to keep the gun in a case, use a silicone-impregnated gun sock, such as a Sack-Up ($6.89; 888-722-5877; sackups.com). It’s cheap insurance for the off-season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maintenance Schedule
How to keep your gun from turning into a doorstop

After each use:
1. Clean bores and tighten choke tubes.
2. Brush out seeds and debris from the receiver.
3. Wipe the outside metal surfaces with a lightly oiled cloth.

Every 200 rounds
1. Clean barrel thoroughly, including the barrel tang of pumps and autos.
2. Clean choke tube threads.
3. Clean gas system of autos. Strip grease from break-action receivers and regrease.

End of the season
1. Repeat previous steps.
2. Remove, clean, and lightly oil the trigger group and bolt assembly. Remove debris from the magazine tube of pumps and autos with a 10-gauge brush. Unscrew the recoil pad from synthetic stocks and drain water.
3. Clean the gas system and action spring of autos. Clear gas ports in the barrels of autos with a 1/16-inch-diameter wire.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:00 am

Simpler way Leave it in the police custody (:>)

Rgds

just a wise crack

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:15 am

Hi Inder,
Is WD40 harmful for Exteriors also? Does it effects the blueing?
Is Rem. oil Avaialble in India?
.I am using one more product from WD40 - Lithium Greese.Very good for lubricating weapons for storage.Please give me the details as i am a very big fan of WD40,Using it regularly on my Guns.

Thanx,
Badshah
Last edited by badshah0522 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:41 am

badshah0522";p="8652 wrote:Hi Inder,
Is WD40 harmful for Exteriors also? Does it effects the blueing?
Is Rem. oil Avaialble in India?
.I am using one more product from WD40 - Lithium Greese.Very good for lubricating weapons for storage.Please give me the details as i am a very big fan of WD40,Using it regularly on my Weapons.

Thanx,
Badshah

Weapons :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thank your God buddy, Mack The Knife is not around.. :mrgreen:

But just for Future

Weapon is something which you may use for attacking someone whereas a Gun is a firearm, a tool. Weapon signifies violence but gun is a tool. Don’t know if I described it right but I think you should have understood what I wanted to say. Now your question. I don't know buddy as i never used WD40. I just wipe my gun with any gun oil after use and so far i've never faced any problems. I am sure more experienced guys will help you out. I merely posted that article from the link.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

vishosingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vishosingh » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:00 am

have been using wd40 and zorrik for a long time on guns and i believe it is perfect . dont worry keep sprayin
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: How to Trash a Shotgun

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Keep spraying? Hope you did not mean that literally because that's the last thing (spraying directly onto the gun) one should do.

For those who are unaware, please put oil on a clean and dry piece of cloth and then apply it to the required metal surface of the gun.

WD40 stands for Water Displacer (40th Formula). You can use it use as an external rust preventive but not as a lube - except in an emergency, if that is all you have at hand. WD40 also needs to applied at more frequent intervals as it's not a very good rust inhibitor.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vishosingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vishosingh » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:46 pm

thanx for the info Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:30 pm

My pleasure and thanks for the laughs in the Humour section. ;)

Mack The Knife

vishosingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vishosingh » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:54 am

no worries. will keep them coming

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:08 pm

Just restrict the number. You have a PM regarding the same.

Mack The Knife