I am confused....help me

Posts related to shotguns.
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

I am confused....help me

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:32 am

Last Sunday I was at the range with Mehul and Amit. I sucked big time with 20bore :(. I can blame that on lighter shot and bigger spread as I saw pellets wiping the dust off the bird but not breaking it several times but then I shot second round with 12 Bore and managed 11/25 which is same as my first time. I think I am doing something wrong here coz when ever I manage to hit a bird it feels different...no felt recoil.. no slap on cheek...nothing but whenever I miss.. I feel slap on cheek and a bit of harsh recoil on my shoulder. Obviously I am doing something wrong but I am not able to understand what... :?

I am following instructions from here.. http://homestudy.ihea.com/shootingskills/19mnt.htm

According to the above “You must place the stock against your cheek first, then against your shoulder. This makes sure the gun is in exactly the same position each time you shoot.

Do not make the error of raising the gun to the shoulder first and dropping your head to rest the cheek against the stock. You will likely miss the target. "

So all you knowledgeable shotgun shooters I need advice for below mentioned points.

1. If you see above they have mentioned that first you need to put stock against cheek first and then on the shoulder. Is it right or is it other way around.

2. I place stock on the edge of my shoulder am I doing right or I need to place stock on the collar bone near my neck?

3. At what height from the thrower I need to aim. I am aiming about 1 ft high at the moment.

4. Trick is to shoot early or late?

Mehul and Amit helped me a lot but I wanted to post it here coz it may help other neophyte like me.

Please recommend any videos or books on trap shooting if you know anything good.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:05 am

Here is a book recommended by Grumpy to me

Michael Yardley and John Bidwell ( `Move, Mount, Shoot`.

Check them out in Amazon

All the best

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: I am confused....help me

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:12 am

Inder,

You are getting slapped because you are not mounting the gun correctly - your cheek is not touching the stock at the moment you fire.

No idea about the rest of the stuff.

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:24 am

Inder, simple and expensive answer to recoil is "Gun Fit".

Try to carry the "mount", all the way thru till well after you fire the gun. Raising the gun to the cheek first and then to the shoulder or backwards does'nt really make a difference. Actually, I've seen most shooters do it backwards, they first place the butt in the "shoulder pocket", then ease the cheek on the comb. Once this "cheek weld" is done, call for the bird, follow, fire, follow thru, then break the weld. By breaking the weld, you're letting recoil "hit" your cheek rather than work thru your whole body which "feels" different. Remember to shoot where the target "will be" than where the target "is".

Starting your "aim" or "Gun Hold Point" before calling for a target will differ at each post in American trap. Post one, I start a little outside left edge of trap house, post three right in the middle of the house, post 5 will be opposite of Post 1. Post 2 and 4 will be half way between the right and left hold points. The height at which you hold is a personal preference. I like to hold it level with the outside/leading edge of the house. Some people hold it as high as parallel to the ground and only have a lateral movement of the gun to the target. I like to "lead" the bird out of the house at the same target flight as the bird and break it, or try to. Try and see what you like. I'd suggest start at or below the leading edge because that way you're always looking above the gun which is more instinctive. Atleast that's what I think.

I'm a "beginner" too and have picked up a lot of these points on other sites like trapshooters.com and friends at the club. I also had borrowed a few videos from friends. There's one by Ken Robertson of Pachmayr, that is a great one for "basics". Try to borrow or buy it at the club. Or, go the local library and see if they have one, if they don't they should be able to order one for you. This will (should) be free and after you view the video, you can just return it. If you want to spend some money, you can buy trap shooting videos/dvds from greats like Phil Kiner, Kay Ohye or others. If you buy Phil Kiner's, will you please let me borrow it. ;)

Btw, lots of sites on technique online. Here's one...

http://www.hunttheoutdoors.com/articles ... er-88.html

Lots of good links at the bottom of the page too.

Or, just put a note on the club's bulletin board saying you want trapshooting books videos to buy or borrow. I'm sure lots of people will let you borrow theirs. If the club has a hunter safety class, chances are Ken Robertson's video will be in the collection.

mishradk
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mishradk » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:46 am

Hi Indar..
I used to do Skeet..
My experience was "cheek first"
This way you don’t loose the line of sight and your gun is aligned to what you are seeing..

regards
Deepak

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:51 am

Sharief,

Inder finds the fit of my Browning perfect for his shooting and does not have any problem with it though when he first shot it, he was definitely holding it wrong and had a painful experience with it.

I am hoping that Grumpy sees this post and offers his expert advice. Also, Mark is a superb shot who can empty a whole magazine into a single wood block thrown into the air at trap ranges with my A-5 before the block hits the ground. I am sure that their advice is going to be very useful to anyone.

Somehow the gun fits me almost perfectly - I am almost the same build as Inder which probably explains why he is also so comfortable with it. I guess I have been lucky in this regard.

Cheers!

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:24 am

Inder,

What I'd like to suggest is if at all possible shoot a box or so of shells at a stationary target so you can see where you are hitting- high, low, left, right or is it scattered all over the place. Once you know where all the pellets go you can then figure out what you are doing wrong.

What can also help is to have someone video you, if you do not have a coach present. Also, concentrate on keeping everything the same in regards to how you hold the gun. After a shot, before you move check how your trigger finger is. It should be in the same place each time after you take a shot.

Mehul, thanks for the praise and as per our "arrangement" the check will go out first thing in the morning :)
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:12 pm

Thanks a lot guys for all the help. Will check out all the books recommended.

Sharief,
As Mehul said I don't think gun fit is the problem. I am pretty comfortable with the over all balance and the swing is effortless. It’s only me who is at fault. I got confused after watching Rajyavardhan Rathore video at indianshooting.com . He is placing the stock first on his shoulder near to neck and then doing the "cheek weld" but now I understand as he is placing gun at the exactly same spot every shot near his neck.

You are absolutely spot on for "Gun Hold points". I was aiming at exactly middle of the trap house for each station which is the right position for station three, and you know I got 5 and 4 from that station. I will do as you suggested this Sunday and lets see if i can improve. I could find Phil Kilmer video Here only. Its a UK site and video is described as poor quality.

Mark,
That’s the first thing we did and I only managed 4/25 :( . I was shooting left. I don't know how I do it but I am good at flying targets than stationary ones with shotgun.. :). (I know I am weird)

Thanks a lot again for your suggestions guys.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:25 pm

Inder, its Phil Kiner. He is one of the most popular trap instructors in the US untill he "retired". Took a fixed job. Anyway, he is a great guy, met him once and talked a few times. His website is : http://www.philkiner.com/

Can u imagine, he's shot 400x400 TWICE. Thats 200 singles, 100 doubles and 100 handicap (from 27). Broke them all.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:41 pm

HSharief";p="7488 wrote: Inder, its Phil Kiner. He is one of the most popular trap instructors in the US untill he "retired". Took a fixed job. Anyway, he is a great guy, met him once and talked a few times. His website is : http://www.philkiner.com/

Can u imagine, he's shot 400x400 TWICE. Thats 200 singles, 100 doubles and 100 handicap (from 27). Broke them all.

Oh I am sorry Sharief, I think I need lessons for reading also :D

Thanks Once again, will check the site.

-Inder