Identification of shotgun

Posts related to shotguns.
joydeepm
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Identification of shotgun

Post by joydeepm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:55 am

Firstly , Hail to the Mods and the Gurus and hi to other firearm and RKBA enthusiasts

May all of you you have a happy Diwali and may your box of ammo be always full ( I could not think of a better Diwlai wish in this ammo starved country - sorry )

Secondly , I have this offer , form a retired army officer , to buy out his shotgun . he shall give it to me for around 30 grands .Other than the fact that it is 12 bore , of russian origin and 29 inch barrel ( a length not too common , is it ?) , I know nothing of the gun . The engravings are all in russian. A friend of mine took the pics , I am enclosing them for your investigation here .

I am sure nothing gets the adrelain going more , here , than some of the elder geeks poring over the pictures and bringing out parentage , breed , pedigree etc . in a jiffy . Its almost like wine tasters closing their eys and sniffing out the vintage year .

Please help . i am not trying to pull a Tom sawyer stunt here , but i would really appreciate your comments . Is this one worth it over a new Modern or Meher singh ?

I have "pushed" the exposure by in 2 close ups to get the markings / engravings out as much as possible . The photographs were taken with a cell phone camera and are not exactly hot .

The same gent also mentions that he has a 0.306 jeffrey rifle . I guess he is talking about thirty oh six is it not ? or is this another bore?

best regards

:stupid:
:cheers:

-- Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:12 am --

Sorry guys , forgot the links . They are here :

If you want to shoot , shoot . Don't talk .....

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Identification of shotgun

Post by Risala » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 am

It's a Baikal,most likely IJ 58,that has been put through the paces....go for it...you wont regret it....if you want to pass,then am sure there are quite a few takers here for it....no point in drawing comparisons with Indian shotguns cause that's a no brainer...
HTH

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:29 am

Most certainly is a Baikal,as Sanjay says, and no comparison with an Indian made gun.Certainly not an English game gun.But, built like a tank and almost indestructible.Can with stand a lot of abuse and at that price a steal.If you can take a few clear pictures of the markings on the gun,I have a friend who can read Russian.We will know a few needful things about the gun.All the best.Could you please find out a few details about the 30/06 too please?Thanks.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:37 am

Baikal or a Toz . If you don't want it , i do !! :mrgreen:

Possible to post pictures of the Jeffery ?

best ,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:14 am

Looks like a Baikal all right, as others have said these are tough well built guns which can take a lot of abuse. For advice of what to look for when evaluating a used shotgun, check out http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=458

The price is decent, and so long as it does not call for any major repairs, I would say go for it! :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

joydeepm
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by joydeepm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:32 am

Thanks a million . Now comes the hard part...getting the TL and stuff like that . I also have to give it to a good smith nearabouts delhi/ghaziabad who can make the lady look stunning again . Any suggestions gentlemen ? I certainly do not want clumsy hands on the piece.
:D :D

As far as the 30/06 is concerned , I have asked my friend to get a few snaps and send them to me by mail . He mentions that the owner does not say "thirty oh six" like we do , he says "0.306" , that it has a 11 shot mag and maybe one in the chamber , that it is of pre 1947 ( probably WWII) vintage .So I am a little confused here .Shall do some research on WJ Jeffrey site >

If I hit pay dirt with this rifle ( shall take some time as I have just applied for a license for the rifle) and if it turns out to be what I hope it is then maybe , maybe, I shall indulge in some good karma and let this go at a reasonable price to one of you afficionados .God knows I can only afford 0.22 ammo for regular plinking .
:mrgreen:
best
If you want to shoot , shoot . Don't talk .....

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:23 am

Getting a TL is not difficult, it merely calls for some advance planning on your part. Since the shotty has colour case hardening on the action/ receiver I would not suggest you get it reblued - which is what any local gunsmith would be doing... completely ruining the original look in the process. IMHO a gun with even a slightly worn out original finish is worth more than one which has had the complete "reblue" treatment! My advice, don't take it to a gunsmith unless it needs any mechanical repairs... after all a pretty lady is not dependent on "polish" for her looks! ;)

Well, there is a .307 and a .308, but to be honest I've never heard of a .306... not to say that such a beast never existed, just that I've never come across or even read anyone who mentioned one! As you've guessed, it will most likely turn out to be a .30-06, however do examine the markings closely. I am sure if you can provide WJ Jeffery with a serial no. they should be able to give you details of the rifle - calibre, other original specs, who placed the order, etc.

Whatever price you pay for the rifle, PLEASE do yourself a favour and thoroughly check it's condition PRIOR to committing yourself to the purchase... external appearances can often be misleading. Way too many of these old rifles are bu33ered up beyond the point of being safe shooters. They can be rebuilt, but that will often cost good money, at least if you want to get a decent job done. Not saying that this rifle is not going to be a good shooter, just advising caution and recommending due diligence. :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:52 pm

The Doc wrote:Baikal or a Toz . If you don't want it , i do !! :mrgreen:

best ,

Rp.
It is a Baikal IJ 58....Toz does not make SxS

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:45 pm

Sanjay wrote:It is a Baikal IJ 58...
Since you own a similar gun , you are right by all means. :)

Sanjay wrote:..Toz does not make SxS
It does . Toz - 111
http://www.pmulcahy.com/db_sb_shotguns/ ... otguns.htm

Also there are some SXS models with exposed hammers. Toz-64 , Toz-80-12 etc.

Rp
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:26 pm

RP
You are correct,havent come across one...the most common Tula Arms shotty you find in our parts is the Toz 34 O/U...a very good gun

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Sanjay wrote:the most common Tula Arms shotty you find in our parts is the Toz 34 O/U...a very good gun
Sanjay,

How much would a Toz 34 O/U cost here these days ? Same as a Baikal ?

Rp.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:15 pm

If it is an 11 shot then it certainly is not a 30-06.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:12 am

I know its a long shot another permutation with 3,6 o number is Westley Richard .360 Express just saw a Farquharson action Westley Richard's Model 1897 Rifle.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Westle ... =100044224

If true what a luck and find. I already think with that sxs he has his share of good fortune.

Best

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:42 am

ngrewal wrote:I know its a long shot another permutation with 3,6 o number is Westley Richard .360 Express just saw a Farquharson action Westley Richard's Model 1897 Rifle.
But 11 shot ? :?

Rp.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:55 am

Doc

11 shot you are right I am off base but I just read about this gun in an old magazine and had to share or show off my limited knowledge here 8)
Unique gun ain it ..LOL

Cheers