Shotgun brethren!

Posts related to shotguns.
Steve007
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Shotgun brethren!

Post by Steve007 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:56 pm

I came across this board by accident (looking up information on my new Browning Superposed), and must say I was surprised. While I am a well-traveled fellow and an active member of a US shotgun board, you (or at least I) just don't think of India as a hotbed of gun guys. I am glad to see it.

The purpose of this post is to request that someone visit my shotgun board and give us a little information on hunting (especially birdhunting/shotguns/guns in India. I'll post some info here in trade. We would all on my board find it fascinating.

Anyway,here (if it prints) is a photo of myself and my noble Gordon Setter Covey. Those are chukar partidge with us and that's a Browning BSS Sporter. We hunt quail, pheasant, chukar and ocasionally get lucky with migratory woodcock. Dove too,but that's more shooting than hunting. Most serious shotgunners have more than one shotgun and mine range from a case-colored gold-inlaid 20g Guerini to a 12g. Superposed to a 16 g. Ithaca pumpgun.My Gordons and I compete in Hunt tests and field trials, as well as hunt.

Concealed Carry of handguns is legal in 40 states here (CC license and background check required) and I have those of course, but am primarily a birdhunter and sporting clays shooter (in the off season), as is most of my board.

In any case, if anyone would care to go to my board, apply for membership (information under "how to apply":no one is turned down. I am Steve007 there, too) and post comments about shotguns and birdhunting (or whatever you want) under "firearms" or "hunting", we would all find it most interesting. Stay OFF the"politics" page in my opinion, as there are some strange and uninformed people there who don't agree with me :wink:, and I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea. We all (or many) get together once a year for a shoot and gun display, and have a great time.

Here's the link. Thanks.I like this board and wish you all the best.

http://www.notssmbbs.com/

For Advertising mail webmaster
ebenezer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Shotgun brethren!

Post by ebenezer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:57 pm

Hello Steve 007,

Hunting in India is prohibited under the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972. However, it is expected that hunting of some animals which pose a threat to crops will be allowed in some northern States. As per law, only crows and rats (classified as vermins under the Act), can be hunted. However, illegal poaching thrives. Also, import of firearms is not allowed (except for the NRAI which can do it for renowned shooters). Imported guns owned by people here are mostly those imported prior to 1986. The ones manufactured in India are not always up to the mark and one is lucky if he gets a good piece.

Regards,
Ebenezer

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 am

Hello Steve 007,

I am going to steal the thread you posted on your forum about IFG.

Here is the link for the IFG members. ...............

http://www.notssmbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=6359

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:43 am

Welcome to IFG Steve, and thanks for your warm welcome to your forum.
... btw, you a Bond fan.. and if you are, I would like to voice my thoughts on the latest Quantum flick, which I think should not be called a Bond movie at all ;)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:31 pm

welcome steve
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Steve007
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Steve007 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Gentlemen:

This is only a brief post, as my hunting partner is picking me up in a while to save the world from a rumored quail invasion. Only my Gordon Setter, my 16g. Browning Citori and I stand between the invaders and a terrible death. :wink: Well,my partner and his English Setter will do their share. Nevertheless, I wanted to thank you for the comments and partially apologize for the heading on my post. India is held in high regard here, and it referred to the hunting/gun information only.

You'll note there is definite interest in finding out more about India from that perspective. See below link to post by a member (he's a certified shotgun shooting instructor,by the way). I'd like to know, as a dog guy, if there are bird dogs in India, and if so, what they do for a living. I gather you do have skeet, trap and presumably sporting clays. Do you have hunting preserves there?

Note below link. If anyone would care to register on our board and post, we would all appreciate hearing from you. Wish you were here, as we could go birdhunting. I might need backup from you in case of pheasants. My (new) wife would cook quail for you when we got back...if we came back with some.

http://www.notssmbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=6378

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:14 am

Steve007";p="60877 wrote: ...If anyone would care to register on our board and post, we would all appreciate hearing from you...
Thanks again for the invite... Will join soon :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:09 am

Welcome aboard Steve. There are people out here who breed bird dogs. Irish setters are most common. Gordon and English setters are a rarity. They are however only shown in dog shows and are judged for confirmation and movement alone. Field trials and retreiving trials are unheard of.