Posts related to shotguns.
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

IOF DBBL 12 bore

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi,
Needed some info on IOF DBBL 12 bore.
I was told that the barrels are imported from BSA for these guns.

Does anyone have this gun. how is the performance.

Earlier the barrels of a DBBL used to come assembled (meaning they were joined and sent to India to IOF) but now they come seperately and are joined by IOF.
Can someone please shed more light on this.
Thanks
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 pm

snIPer";p="59924 wrote: but now they come seperately and are joined by IOF.
IOF has stopped the production of the 12 bore DBBL for the last several years. The quality was supposed to be better amongst all the Indian made DBBL s. Still commands a good resale value. According to some, one should think about buying a pre-owned IOF DBBL in good condition rather than buying a new Jammu made DBBL.

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:50 pm

Thanks Doc.
what about the info of the Barrels - from BSA?

I guess the seconds are selling for about 20+
/S/

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:06 pm

snIPer";p="59928 wrote: what about the info of the Barrels - from BSA?
Sorry Sniper,

I do not have any info on the origin of the barrels, most probably they were not imported but I am not sure. Yes the pricing you mention is right. ( 20-30 K depending upon where in India you are and of course the condition of the barrel and firearm.)

cheers,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:26 pm

I also came to know about the similer thing ,the starting lot guns were fitted with barells made by BSA,those gun have some sort of ribs (line on the outer side of barrell) if u will notice the exteriors carefully.I kept one for a long time and it use to work very well.
snIPer";p="59928 wrote: Thanks Doc.
what about the info of the Barrels - from BSA?

/S/
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks Guys.
Badshah you are right that is the barrel i was referring to - the one with the ribs on it.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF DBBL 12 bore

Post by cottage cheese » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Which also brings up a pertinent point-

If they used imported BSA barrels... no wonder they were good....and not because of some diligent effort on the part of the IOF. Also goes to prove(If true) the IOF was and is not able to produce even a decent 12bore barrel. :evil:

...sorry - just cant stop my IOF bashing thing... :D

Anyway, the fact is whatever the expedient the IOF DBBLs ended up being pretty decent. So far I've handled only one, many years ago. If you find one in decent condition, take it.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Howz the weight when compared to other Indian and imported ones like perhaps the Bruno etc

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:07 pm

snIPer";p="59941 wrote: Howz the weight when compared to other Indian and imported ones like perhaps the Bruno etc
HEAVY !! You cant compare it with a BRNO . Even heavier than a Baikal SXS .

Most Jammu made SXS weigh almost the same , give or take a few grams. The IOF DBBL is a bit lighter than them I think. I have no knowledge of DBBLs made in Rajasthan or Bihar.

Here is a useful link..............

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=1156

best,

RP.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:30 pm

hmm. Thanks Doc.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:05 pm

hi sniper :)

one of my uncle has this IOF dbbl with 30 inch blued barrels.he never mentioned about the barrels by BSA but said that it is a copy of the BSA.i have fired several shots from this gun and its an excellent gun.i am not a big fan of IOF but i can confidently compare this gun to many other foreign makes.one more relative of mine bought an used IOF DBBL around 6 months back for 18k.the condition is not excellent but very good.

cheers
Ravi teja :)

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:09 pm

forgot to add,the 32 inch barrel version was supposed to be powder coated.never handled one though :)

happyhunter
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by happyhunter » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Sniper- I have the gun (IOF DBBL) and have been using it for nearly 25 years now. It was purchased by my Dad but has been used by me with satisfaction and reliability till date. Never heard of any BSA link though. The barrel is relatively heavy , so the BSA theory is hard to digest.....happyhunter
Beware that you do not lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. Aesop fables(ca.550BC)

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:56 am

The IOF gun, made in Ichapore and the Giridhari Lal & SOns Gun, made in the Munger Jail compound are exact replicas of one of the models of BSA, a 32 inch barrel, 2 3/4 inch chamber duck gun that BSA used to export to India.

Perhaps some tools or parts were sourced from BSA, even early barrels might have come from there. After 1970s the gun started getting crude, even the barrels were of a different grade of steel, heavier metal and as a result muzzle heavy which is to be condemmed for wing shooting.

As of date maybe they have stopped production. But a very similar gun from Girdhari lal is being made and supplied to dealers from Munger. Maybe even the Kashmir made guns are good.

Earler one of the security personnel deployed at my house had showed me his Girdhari Lal Single barrel 12 bore shotgun, it was rather handy and quite reliable. I did take a few shots with it.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:01 am

my uncles IOF DBBL has 30 inch barrels and very well made.it wasnt that heavy and still retains the factory blueing.i dont know the year of manufacture. :)