friends help me choose a good shot gun

Posts related to shotguns.
jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: friends help me choose a good shot gun

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:17 pm

HydNawab";p="54337 wrote:Jayanta,

There is no use going in for the valuation of the Purdey since they value it according to the UK standard and I wont be able to get that price here, even if I have the valuation certificate.Moreover, I cant send the gun to UK for sale since the export of 12g weapons is not allowed.Export of double rifles is permitted but I hear its a very long and grusome process. You will find most of the good doubles with collectors in UK and other countries.

Cheers

Ashar
Hello Ashar
Well Purdey is a Rolls Royce amongst shot guns. I don't know why are you willing to sell the piece of history but I am hopeful that there also must be certainly a person of good tastes (and of course the mollaha) who would love to toy with the same here in India :wink: (Actually trying to indicate that I am also one who is after it). Well since yours is an old gun I suggest you try the "auction houses" route after getting the necessary clearances from the Archelogical Survey of India. I am pretty hopeful that yours will fetch a very handsome price in the western markets.
[/align]
Bye
Jayanta

For Advertising mail webmaster
HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:38 pm

Dear Jayanta,

The only reason I am selling the Purdey because I want to get a very nice Perazzi, either a SC3 or a SCO, possibly a SCO-ORO even.These guns dont come cheap and I feel that Perazzi is one of the best shotgun manufacturing companies around today.Even better than Beretta I feel.Beretta has become very commericial with their shotgun weapons.They manufacture 300-400 shotguns in a month.Perazzi makes most of their guns to order i.e., 10-15 a month.

As they say at Perazzi, there is no such thing as basic in Perazzi.All high grade weapons are made to order.They take a long time as well(4-6 months) but the detailing which goes into the gun is amazing.

Moreover, the customer service they give is amazing according to another some shooters.

And for the Purdey, I dont have the time nor thee patience to run after the ARI.Dont even know if this is allowed.

So just want a good offer for the gun and its bye bye Purdey.

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:35 pm

marksman";p="54361 wrote:sorry for deviating a wee bit. some one has a Beretta S-56 E 12 bore shotgun with 2 3/4" chamber, chrome lined barrels,double trigger with articulated front trigger in almost brand new condition. The person is in two minds and wants my quote on the price. I have no clue what to offer. BTW, it's a field model. Please help.
Marksman
It always depends on condition, and how badly you want it... ;)

Last year a member here picked up a Perazzi trap gun, single trigger, one barrel with screw in choke (and one fixed), in decent condition (but had been repaired) for INR 3.5 Lacs. While talking to a renown shot at the range (a couple of weeks back), I was given to understand that a 5 year old (AFAIK which is when they are allowed to dispose off their guns) Beretta Skeet gun with screw in chokes on both barrels should go for 4 to 4.5 Lacs... this was dropped as a broad hint when one of our party mentioned that he may be in the market for one... As you would be aware the type of stock design on Skeet guns combined with screw in chokes offers wide flexibility for field as well as target use.

As you mention the gun in question is a (now discontinued) field model with double triggers which would detract from the value somewhat, fixed chokes further limit the gun to field use only so that's another negative. The year of manufacture could be any year between 1956 to the 80s' - to find out the exact year of manufacture (through the proof marks) check out the following thread on another forum http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=9711

I would not go above 3 to 3.5 Lacs on this one... rest it's your dime..

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. - Did I mention? I am no expert on prices ;)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Jayanta any progress on your search for the perfect shotgun? Marksman any feedback from the seller of the S56E?

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:22 am

Hello there!
Absolutely no news from Marksman. WEll read a post about a pump action and sought details about the gun. But have made up my mind to come down to Delhi myself and take a look around. How is your shooting going on?
bye and tc
Jayanta

perazzi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by perazzi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:14 am

Jayanta ,

I am from Delhi and have picked up an O/U Baikal recently.
Am very satisfied with the performance. Have shot Skeet & Trap with the Baikal.
Some details on the gun are given below.

29" Chrome lined barells. Top barell is full choke and bottom barell is improved modified choke.
Double triggers , extractors ( i purposely choose extractors over ejectors)
Gun has engraving of hare / dog / pheasant.
Incidentally there are still 02 of these guns floating around Delhi and i can help you locate them if you like.

Cheers Rohit.
Heart of a Lion , Memory of an Elephant

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:34 am

Hi Rohit,
Well you will definitely doing me this big favour. Well want to know what are the models which is still available and how much did you pay for them. I would be coming down to Delhi around the 2nd week of november and would defnitely work the details before coming down.
By the way how is Delhi doing?
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Bye n tc
JAyanta

perazzi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by perazzi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Jayanta ,

I think mine is a 1968 model but in pretty decent condition.
I paid 1.5Lacs for mine including taxes.
Had gone to my regular gun guy bout a week ago and 02 of the Baikals i had shortlisted were still avbl. Incidentally i did not pick either of those 2 Baikals only bcos they had ejectors and not extractors. This guy also has a lovely Lanber (Spanish) O/U avbl and was quoting 2.25Lacs.

Do let me know a week prior to coming to Delhi so i can ensure not to travel around that time.

Cheers Rohit.
Heart of a Lion , Memory of an Elephant

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Well thanks a ton Rohit. Well if you were in my place which one would you prefer- the Labner or the Baikal?
Cheers
Jayanta
LAWYERS FIGHT FOR RIGHTS.... AN ARMED CITIZEN PROTECTS THEM
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:59 pm

jayanta mukherjee";p="55465 wrote: Well thanks a ton Rohit. Well if you were in my place which one would you prefer- the Labner or the Baikal?
Cheers
Jayanta
The Spanish gun may be prettier (I haven't seen it so only guessing here), but I'd bet that the Russian one will outlast it... many times over...

www.gunowners.in

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks Mundaire,
You know something. before joing this forum that I was under the impression that only the English, American and the Bellgium knew how to make their guns. Was never interested in the IOF types as had almost grown with them. But thanks to you all people I learnt so many things about the other manufacturers. Now I have a pretty descent idea of what I am looking for and am in a hurry
Bye
Jayanta
LAWYERS FIGHT FOR RIGHTS.... AN ARMED CITIZEN PROTECTS THEM
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 pm

jayanta mukherjee";p="55472 wrote: Thanks Mundaire,
You know something. before joing this forum that I was under the impression that only the English, American and the Bellgium knew how to make their guns. Was never interested in the IOF types as had almost grown with them. But thanks to you all people I learnt so many things about the other manufacturers. Now I have a pretty descent idea of what I am looking for and am in a hurry
Bye
Jayanta
Spanish shotguns traditionally haven't had a particularly good reputation in Europe... they were always considered lower end guns. The Russian guns on the other hand may not be pretty and are cheap, but they are solidly built work horses.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 pm

I'd prefer a Baikal any day over a Lanber, however it would be a different story all together had it been a Laurona !!!

best,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:46 pm

I second abhijeet on Baikal, it is a very well made & stout gun as compared to lamber. i have happen to handle both as well as an Aya which is also a Spanish brand but Russian was way better than both. it also have chrome lined barrels which is a good feature keeping in view the quality of desi ammunition.
regards
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have - Thomas Jefferson

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:38 pm

jayanta mukherjee";p="55465 wrote: Well thanks a ton Rohit. Well if you were in my place which one would you prefer- the Labner or the Baikal?
Cheers
Jayanta
The Lanber refered too is actually, a H&R that was made by Lanber.ManyUS gun makers get their guns made else where,Japan,Spain,Turkey,Brazil.

This one has been with the dealer for more than a year,not because of the make or model,it's just that in Delhi these days there are hardly any takers for a shotty.

Baikals are great val for money,the ones floating around are largely game guns,not the best if either trap or skeet is really what intrest's you.
Last edited by Risala on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.