Rottweil O/U 12 gauge.

Posts related to shotguns.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Rottweil O/U 12 gauge.

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:15 am

I am told that one of these have come up on sale. Yet to see it.

I had no idea that Rottweil made shotguns. Do they or is this just a rebadge job? If it's a rebadge, would anyone know who made these guns for Rottweil?

At present Google brings up a Model 65. Are there any other models that Rottweil sold in this configuration?

I am told that this gun may have fired approximately 35,000 shots to date. Considering the mileage, is it worth considering if the external appearance proves to be satisfactory?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Rottweil O/U 12 gauge.

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:57 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

I have seen and used Rottweil shotguns here on the range. They normally don't keep perazzis and gambas for rent:(

I am no expert, but, this gun is as good as any other 'working shotgun'

As far as i know Rottweil is a German firm and their ammo is considerably more expensive than S&B and is associated with good quality.

And I am sure the ones I rent have seen hundreds of thousands of shots through them over the years...That makes no difference ..it always fires and the shells are ejected always..

If the barrel is undamaged, the firing pins good and the ejection system works....have a look ..post pics..

If the price point is reasonable and you don't want to consider it...I'll ask my father to have a look

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi Ranjeet,

I know Rottweil make ammo but was wondering if this was a rebadged gun.

Surfing through the net I find that it is made in Germany but it does not say by whom, if indeed that is the case.

It's comforting to know that the ones at your range may have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds but since you are new, there is the possibility that they may have been repaired or serviced in the past which you don't know about it. Grateful if you could ask your coach / club owner about this please.

The asking price is 1.6 lakhs, well out of my budget. However, I am keeping my options open and if one of my friends or I decide not to buy it, I will let you have the seller's contact details. It's a skeet gun.

Mack The Knife

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

I would definately ask, but I am sure before that you would get a reply for your query from somebody...I could ask my friend but he's out drinking beer at the Oktober fest;)

And yeah the guns that I use are maintained very regularly, after all its a imp source of revenue for the club..renting guns that is..

BTW, Rottweil has many models and the price points are comparable with a mid range beretta...

check this out

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182 ... CN1852.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182 ... CN1853.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182 ... CN1854.jpg

The ads says great quality guns at a reasonable price..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:13 pm

A few more things I could find out..

Rottweil did make some shotguns but they are called Rottweil Paragons and these are very good quality guns.

The ones like M700, M500 etc are made in Italy by some cheap gun manufacturer and they are of poor quality...and have locking systems (my friend did not know the english word for this) which cannot be repaired...and maybe 35000 shots makes the barrel loose in the locking system..

so I guess one needs to be extra careful with these types..

Regards
Ranjeet
------------------

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:52 pm

Ranjeet,

Thanks for the information. However, I would prefer if you speak to the coach or owner about the Rottweils at the club and let me know their model numbers, approximate number of shots fired, their service record (not history) and any other information they think would be important for owning such a gun in a country like India with a poor service back-up.

Something tells me the club wouldn't shell out for Rottweill Paragons and you may be using the model numbers which are not supposed to be as robust.

If possible, please find out who the Italian manufacturer is.

Thanks.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:10 pm

http://www.ssaa.org.au/OFFICIALREVIEWS/ ... tm#paragon

This review says that the Paragon model is made in Germany by Rottweil and is of good quality. Shall dig around may be we stumble on more info.BTW, Mack The Knife, did you try to find out what make is the O/U, model,year of manufacture etc?

Best-

Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi Vikram,

I have asked the friend who brought this gun to my attention to get the necessary details. I don't know the seller though I did see him at a skeet match and find that I have a pic of him with the gun in question.

Thanks for the link...will take a look in a minute.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:25 pm

Mack The Knife,

Rottweil have made shotguns for a long time and their GErman language website still lists them, though the English site doesn't. Check this link out. They also make a very nice rifle with switch barrels that Grumpy told me about some time ago when he was considering buying one for himself. You might PM him, or Grumpy might see this post and tell us more about these guns. They make both hunting guns as well as trap guns.

A high grade shotgun with 35000 rounds through it is not a bad thing if it is in otherwise good shape but it may need to be looked over by a good gunsmith. How that could be done in India, I don't know...

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:55 pm

mehulkamdar";p="3504 wrote:but it may need to be looked over by a good gunsmith. How that could be done in India, I don't know...
Sure as hell don't know of one in Bangalore.

Thanks for the link and clarification.

Mack The Knife

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:12 pm

Mack The Knife,

Don't claim to be an expert, but if you are not going to shoot trap or skeet or in fact heavy shooting, looking for a game gun might be considered. At Rs 1 lakh, you may get a nice English SXS game gun.JMHO.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:27 pm

Vikram,

Excessive shooting is ruled out due to the cost of rounds and birds even at subsidised club rates.

Located a good Webley & Scott SxS 12 ga but the owner is now having second thoughts....wants his son-in-law who does not shoot to have it. Such is life.

Anyway, will keep looking and if nothing comes up at a sensible price I will just have to go for an Indian one and work on it.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:49 pm

To my knowledge Rottweil doesn`t build guns `in-house` and has never done so - they`re all bought in. Can`t remember who builds them currently although the one`s that I`ve handled in the past looked remarkable like FIAS models. The one illustrated in the Australian article is somewhat different so probably made by another Italian maker.
I had a bit of a giggle when the article said that the B.Rizzini S2000 shot rather high for a game gun but would be OK for Trap. The S2000 is a side-plated `Premier` and as such is a dedicated competition gun, available in
Trap, Skeet and Sporting models only - NOT in a game version. Might help if those Aussies started comparing like with like !
Mack The Knife, what happened re that BRNO Skeet gun ?
Last edited by Grumpy on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:08 am

Mehul, the rifle that you`re thinking about is an RWS - not a Rottweil, although both companies are part of the same group - RUAG Ammotec.....which is Dynamit Nobel although all the firearms related products come under the RUAG label now. That rifle, by the way, is built for RWS by an independent Austrian gunmaker.
It occurs to me that RUAG Ammotec distribute Bettinsoli shotguns in many markets and I`d suggest that Bettinsoli are likely candidates for the manufacture of the current Rottweil guns.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:38 am

To my knowledge Rottweil doesn`t build guns `in-house` and has never done so.
Thanks, Grumpy. I for one am not surprised to hear that.

Mack The Knife, what happened re that BRNO Skeet gun?
It is now with a gun shop in Bangalore. The moment my friend gets his shotty licence (we expect to hear from the authorities on the 28th of this month), he will decide whether to go for the Rottweil or Brno.

However, before making the decision, we are going to pattern both guns and then if they are both mechanically sound and fit well, the patterning will decide the outcome.

What were the impressions on the Rottweil's you handled and any truth in what Ranjeet has been told about the locking mechanism of certain models such as the 700 and 500?

Thanks.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.