BARREL HEATING

Posts related to shotguns.
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:49 pm

sorry to hurt all yours sentiments. :(

since it would appear that one has not been under difficult conditions when your barrel overheats after firing 1000s +rds and the spare barrel is not around so the only option is left is cool it down and water is more expense then gold so the only option is to pee on the barrel. ask any old hand in khaki.

and trust me bluing is not a problem and i don't off hand remember pee sizzleling of the barrel or sticky, as heat everprates the liquid , as some would seem to be well inform regarding that aspect, which leaves to one believe that i an not the only one here who knows about pee on barrels eh R-Dhillon ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

no offence to one and all.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:53 pm

nagarifle";p="50801 wrote: sorry to hurt all yours sentiments. :(

since it would appear that one has not been under difficult conditions when your barrel overheats after firing 1000s +rds and the spare barrel is not around so the only option is left is cool it down and water is more expense then gold so the only option is to pee on the barrel. ask any old hand in khaki.

and trust me bluing is not a problem and i don't off hand remember pee sizzleling of the barrel or sticky, as heat everprates the liquid , as some would seem to be well inform regarding that aspect, which leaves to one believe that i an not the only one here who knows about pee on barrels eh R-Dhillon ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

no offence to one and all.
Works like a charm on Jeep radiators as well... quite handy when you are in the dunes with no water to spare... that said don't see my self pissing away (on) any of my own guns, got no wars to fight I'll just wait for it to cool down on it's own accord - thank you! ;)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: BARREL HEATING

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:09 pm

The barrels on a double shotgun might get hot after prolonged use but not hot enough to cause any damage. For fast and furious driven bird or Wood Pigeon shooting leather clip-on grips have been available for many years for those that use a hand forward stance. These are only for SxS doubles with a splinter fore-end. Guns that utilise a full-length fore-end - such as O/Us or semi-autos/pumps - aren`t going to burn your hand anyway.
The only time that barrel heating is likely to become a problem is with sustained fully automatic firing - which is why many military machine guns have a removable barrel or are water cooled like the Lewis Gun. The water jacket on a Lewis Gun barrel was connected to a separate tank to ensure circulation of the heated water which would boil after a few seconds of sustained fire.
The size of fan that would fit in a gun couldn`t possibly generate enough cooling air to make any major difference.....not even the military have bothered with that option.
Urinating on hot barrels is an old military `trick`....... although the stink produced must have been appalling.
I agree with Mark that the salts and ammonia in urine are likely to mark a blued finish extremely quickly. Of little consequence on machine guns which don`t have blued barrels anyway.
Somehow pissing on one`s shotgun doesn`t seem a reasonable option.......
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:16 pm

hi Grumpy me old mate, well said but it would be good laugh to see someone peeing on his shooter.

so hows life in the rainy bank holiday weekend?

nagarifle
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:31 pm

LOL. Yes - can`t you just see the the `barrel pissing area` at all major championship shoots ? !
Aren`t you sick of this cra**y weather ? I`ve never known an August so bad.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:27 am

Grumpy";p="50835 wrote:LOL. Yes - can`t you just see the the `barrel pissing area` at all major championship shoots ? !
Aren`t you sick of this cra**y weather ? I`ve never known an August so bad.
That's because, this is the wettest August since 1912 or so the newspapers say.Today has been exceptionally balmy.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:16 am

1912 eh ?
Wouldn`t have surprised me to learn that it was a lot longer ago than that........although, with 6 days left and the probability of yet more rain I suspect that date will have to be revised.
`Exceptionally balmy` ? Well it`s been a mild day but the temperature has only been 20 degrees C..............and it rained again this afternoon !
( Terry Pratchett )

Shamsher
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Shamsher » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:12 am

Well Guys
Its been predicted, the rains would last till the middle of sept.

SS

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:38 am

Half way through September ?
Typical - even our `Indian Summer` is going to be late !
( Terry Pratchett )

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:56 pm

typical limeys; weather,weather,weather.
Naga, you've been pissing on a gpmg or a minimi? surely not 1000 rounds through an enfield SA80 lmg version?
The maxim/vickers HMG in 303 had a water jacket and
'' the water jacket held about 4 liters,which meant 600 rounds could be fired from cold, before the water started to boil.Since normal practice was to fire short bursts, this water would last about 2000 rounds,before replenishment with approx a litre , for each 500 rounds fired...'' Machine Gunner, Roger Ford
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Yup. typical Limeys - sole topics of conversation the weather and scatalogical humour !
Ain`t you bu**ered off to Oz yet Jefe ?
I suppose that when you do I`ll hear nothing but `whinging pom` cracks.

How many second do you think it would take to fire 600 rounds full auto ? I reckon my `few` de.scription is appropriate.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:25 pm

Of course I know have this image of a bunch of squaddies hanging onto their full bladders so that they could pee in the Vickers water jacket in order to `top it up`......................................
Something that MUST have happened !
( Terry Pratchett )