defensive loads for shotguns

Posts related to shotguns.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: defensive loads for shotguns

Post by Grumpy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:33 pm

The Ortgies was a very well made pistol but certainly had its` peculiarities - not the least of which was the grip safety that had to be realeased by pressing on a button. Happily they abandoned that and resorted to a conventional safety catch for the final 9mm Short version - that still retained the bayonet joint method of affixing the barrel to the frame under the breech though.
The early Walther PP and PPK pistols were very well made as well and not too inclined to jamming - that seemed to be a problem of the later pistols, including the French made versions.
I think that the Mauser Hsc was the best of that particular bunch....although there`s not a lot to pick between them.
A .25ACP can hardly be regarded as an ideal self-defence pistol.....indeed several American authorities regard it as the worst possible choice ! Even the .22lr makes more energy.
You wouldn`t have to hit a vital organ with a .50 S&W - the sheer shock power would be enough to disable an aggressor - even if hit in an arm or leg. Not a good self-defence weapon though - much too big, much too heavy, much too much recoil.
My personal favourite would be the Kahr K9. 6 inches long, just under 4 1/2 inches high, all steel construction, 24 ounces and a magazine full of seven 9x19 cartridges. Accurate too - 4inch groups at 50 feet isn`t to be sneezed at.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:12 am

Grumpy,

As you know, I really like the Mauser HSc, and, somehow, Renato Gamba who make them these days haven't messed them up like Manurhin have the PP, PPK and TPH. I agree that the Ortgies had it's peculiarities and that it was an older design, lacking the double action feature that Walther and Mauser brought in, but the reason for choosing an Ortgies would be that theya re available in India, and, the Ortgies pistols are virtually impossible to jam even with the lousy ammunition that Indian gun owners often have to contend with. Indians are forced to use Le France pistols and other antiques even these days, long after the rest of the world has consigned these to it's museums.

PWM,

You would find it funny that Sauer 1913, the Behorden Modell etc are still used in India. A situation that is caused by a complete ban on imports. Frankly, I would happily use any of these pistols instead of the junk that the Indian Ordnance Factories put out. If I had a choice, though, I would pick an Ortgies first and then a Mauser HSc for reasons explained above. Over here, in the US, if I was using a blowback pistol, I would use the L W Seecamp - arguably the finest blowback pistols made today.

Cheers!

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:54 pm

I hadn`t realised that we were limiting ourselves to blow-back designs but it should have been obvious. The Kahr is in a different class to the blow-backs being chambered for the 9mm Parabelum - It`s bigger, chambers a much more powerful cartridge and is more accurate. It`s a proper gun.....but a small one.
The Seecamp is a nicely made pistol but looks much like a whole list of very similar American made pocket pistols.......except for the Kel-Tec which is just plain ugly !
The other thing I don`t care for about the Seecamp is its` price - $795 for a blow-back .380 ? !!!