Using 20 guage and .22 rounds in a 12 bore shotgun

Posts related to shotguns.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Sub calibre tubes would be counted as barrels and can be endorsed on your existing shotgun license as 20 bore barrel serial no. xxxx, 28 bore barrel serial no. yyyy etc.

The same logic applies for guns which come with multi-barrel sets - for e.g. one set of barrels chambered for 12 ga. and the second set chambered as a combination shotgun/ rifle or even as a double rifle. I know of at least one member here who owns such a piece.

The real problem is where to source such kits? :?

AFAIK .410 is PB, my maternal grandfather had a "stick-gun" in this calibre which has been deposited after he passed away - as it requires to be endorsed on a PB license and my uncle who inherited it can't be bothered to go through the hassle of getting a PB license.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
b.baracho
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Using 20 guage and .22 rounds in a 12 bore shotgun

Post by b.baracho » Wed May 21, 2008 11:46 pm

in Goa many of us have .410 & 16 bores for sale i my self know 5 nos of .410 for sale no body wants them here going price 2500 to 6000 Rs depanding the condition any one interested pm me.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Thu May 22, 2008 4:52 am

hi sniper :) browning makes shotgun adapters but i think 20 and 16 ammo would be pretty expensive in india.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu May 22, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks NagaRifle for that Announcement :-)

Indian - Expensive and an additional license for it :-(

Here is an useful link on grouping using the inserts.

http://www.chambermates.com/background.htm
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 22, 2008 12:23 pm

snIPer";p="44280 wrote:Indian - Expensive and an additional license for it :-(
You seem to have missed my post - you DO NOT require an additional license! The barrels/ tube inserts would be endorsed on your existing license - therefore allowing you the flexibility of shooting multiple calibres without using up another one of your precious 3 permissible arms licenses.

Once again, the problem is where to source such equipment in India...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu May 22, 2008 12:37 pm

ElJefe: Yes, while a .303/.410 Musket cartridge will fit a .410 Shotgun chamber, it's rim is considerably thicker than the shotgun shell's; you cannot close the gun. I don't know of any quicker way to loosen up a nice .410 double, than by trying to slam it shut on the rifle case. Cheers.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu May 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Oh I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out.
Thats nice then 20 and 410 in a 12 bore - so 3 in one :-)

How exactly does one go around getting this endorsed on the license.

Sourcing shouldn't be a problem as long as it is legal (which as per the above post it is) and enthusiasts such as us exist :-). So far havent had anyone on the forum say that they do use it so I guess either they do not wish to expose themselves or they havent tried.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 22, 2008 12:53 pm

snIPer";p="44285 wrote:How exactly does one go around getting this endorsed on the license.
If these additional barrels are bought later on, you ask for permission to purchase additional barrel(s) for your firearm by writing a letter to the licensing authority. It should usually be be granted without much ado and will be entered on your booklet by the licensing authority. Then you purchase them from the dealer (if you can find a set that is), carry the barrels + original invoice + copy of the invoice to the licensing clerk for inspection and have the barrel no. + calibre entered on your license.
snIPer";p="44285 wrote:Sourcing shouldn't be a problem as long as it is legal (which as per the above post it is) and enthusiasts such as us exist :-). So far havent had anyone on the forum say that they do use it so I guess either they do not wish to expose themselves or they havent tried.
It shouldn't? Well no one makes them in India, and I very much doubt if you would get permission to import them. That leaves you with the option of finding a set of barrels what matches your particular make/ model through a direct resale or an arms dealer who has them in stock... would be akin to looking for a needle in the ocean...

Cheers!
Abhijeet

www.gunowners.in

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu May 22, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks for that Abhijeet. Well then i guess sourcing them will be a problem. No wonder we havent any users here.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 pm

only shot gun which is nomenclatured by the size and not the number of balls of 1 lb lead that pass down its barrel...IFG special 64bore-Aha! ;)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

badshah0522
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by badshah0522 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:04 pm

I have seen .12 cal DBBL with 2 extra barrell (26'' 30'' ) but in same cal. endorsed on licence,, I personally have a walther (GSP Expert) pistol (recently imported) with 2 barrell-.22,.32.
"Strength is not about how strong u can kick, it's about how strong the life is kicking u and u standup again to keep on going"

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu May 22, 2008 6:30 pm

While we are at it, check this gun.The Finnclassic 512.Very well built and highly flexible.Can be your game gun,double rifle or combination gun.Not very expensive.Seen it for the first time at Grumps' place.Any one trying to bring back a gun on TR,should give it a serious look.

http://www.marocchiarms.com/index.php?m ... duct_id=15

http://www.marocchiarms.com/index.php?m ... duct_id=15

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu May 22, 2008 7:14 pm

What is the experience with tube inserts when it comes to firing rimfire ( .22 ) cartridges with a firing pin designed for centrefire cartridges ?

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 pm

Shahid: Chamber and bore of the rimfire insert are off-set so the firing pin strikes the rim. Short ones, of chamber length, are quite inexpensive, full length ones, such as used in Germany, are quite expensive. Cheers.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu May 29, 2008 4:05 pm

eljefe";p="44291 wrote: only shot gun which is nomenclatured by the size and not the number of balls of 1 lb lead that pass down its barrel...IFG special 64bore-Aha! ;)
Shouldn't it be called the 67 bore/ gauge? ;)

www.gunowners.in