Gun sound wrt barrel length

Posts related to shotguns.
diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Gun sound wrt barrel length

Post by diskaon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 pm

I recently attended a funeral where as per our Coorgi tradition 12 g is fired twice in quick succession as a mark of respect. since they did not have a DBBL, there were 2 SBBLs. Once was a old one with no name on it having a 30-32 " barrel and the other was a "folding shaktiman" with 20" barrel.

I donot know if it was a mistake from my side... but i felt that the shaktiman was louder than the other gun.. the same ammo was being fired (Kirkee no 4).

is it that a gun with a shorter barrel length actually makes more sound...or was it only my perception...
Last edited by diskaon on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klick klack..... diskaon

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Gun sound wrt barrel length

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 pm

diskaon";p="35420 wrote:is it that a gun with a shorter barrel length actually makes more sound.
Yes.

Incidentally, your sub-title is saying the opposite. Suggest you edit it.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:06 pm

Diskaon,

You are right. Happened with .22 LR Merlin/IOF rifles i shot using Eley bullets.

best,

RP
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:03 pm

:-)

done sir
klick klack..... diskaon

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:04 pm

any idea what could be the reason behid this phenomenon??
klick klack..... diskaon

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:22 pm

diskaon";p="35459 wrote:any idea what could be the reason behid this phenomenon??
For the same cartridge, the propelling gas looses more of its explosive force as it travels down a longer bore compared to a shorter barrel. Hence, when the gas exits the muzzle, the report is relatively quiter.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:30 pm

Ya Rusty's put it right ... For the same amount of powder(KF #4 in this case) a shorter barrel is noisier and also causes more muzzle blast because quite a bit of the propellant is actually combusting beyond the muzzle-thus outside the barrel. In a longer barrel most of the combustion takes place within the barrel.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:08 pm

In one of the recent posts i read that 20" is appox the lenght req for complete burning of the charge for a shotgun.

so from 20" and below every inch you reduce the noise will be higher.. but for ever inch you increase the sound may not decrease to the same level..

I guess it works on the similar principle as that of a silencer.. reducing the charge pressure are the muzzle..
klick klack..... diskaon

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:49 am

In case you have the same barrel lenght .. then a 12 g will be louder than a 20g.. correct??

One more query.. does the reciol increase with the increase of barrel lenght.. (lets continue in the same thread.. caseu i dont want to start a new thread only for a yes/no ans)
klick klack..... diskaon

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Tue May 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Yes / No answer??
diskaon";p="35620 wrote: In one of the recent posts i read that 20" is appox the lenght req for complete burning of the charge for a shotgun.

so from 20" and below every inch you reduce the noise will be higher.. but for ever inch you increase the sound may not decrease to the same level..

I guess it works on the similar principle as that of a silencer.. reducing the charge pressure are the muzzle..
klick klack..... diskaon

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue May 20, 2008 3:51 pm

12 Ga Vs 20 Ga report - depends on cartridge type. If it is a 24 gram, 3 dram eq. skeet load report will be the same if both barells are 28 inch.

Recoil - Longer barell = more weight. It will recoil less.

Why waste IOF no. 4 for cermonial fire, why not the common No. 1 shot. Preserve the no. 4 for better things ! they are getting more and more scarce to get.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue May 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Even better simply use 12 Ga Blanks... I believe KF makes them right? or have I been looking at locally cobbled blanks?

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue May 20, 2008 5:34 pm

KF does not make them but a host of pvt. manufacturers used to make them.