Reloading 12ga slugs

Posts related to shotguns.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Reloading 12ga slugs

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:39 am

I have a cylinder chokes Mossberg 20” bbl Thunder ranch shotgun and decided to make some slug loads
Since the kids also use it, loaded them ‘soft’
Lee 1oz slug cast from pure lead and epoxy coated with Hitek as lube. I’ve been using Hitek for a few years and with 18BHN cast Bullets I’m able to achieve 2200fps with .404 and 7x57. So the limitations of using cast at 1800fps or less are no constraint.

Since wad building is quite a science by it self, I go the easy way- using cork I punch out from 9mm thick placemats and use cut off and reversed plastic wads to act a a concentric bullet holder.
Powder is AP70
Roll crimper- home made, because I love the old style looks
Primers-Winchester 209
Shells- eclectic collection of what I have, most cut to 2.5”

I have used the same slugs loaded up HOT for my self with the same shotgun and red dot sight for a 2” group at 30m resting on a fence post.

I hope to test them out soon. Pics coming soon
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Reloading 12ga slugs

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:51 am

some pictures for us informed Senor Eljefe ; so we can see and learn from masters of trade

Cheers

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:32 am

Coming,Navi. Need help in resizing the pics to the format of the forum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Doc, have attached the photos as requested :)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:09 pm

Sweet,Jefe. Keep them coming. Must be lethal on feral pigs of Australia.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks Eljefe

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:36 pm

I read on another forum old shikari would kill Tigers with SG 12 bore cartridges in India .

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:11 pm

I have read of the old elephant hunters of Africa using 10&8 ga Guns Selous mentions one instance where he got news of a fresh ‘ivory herd’ and his boys got busy that night, casting hard balls. Those guns were ML,used a handful of powder! And were loaded on the run.
Can’t beat a ball. Forensically proven to slip through muscle mass and go deep.unlike a ‘shuttle cock’ slug which tears through and can get upset and go off track.
I too have read and heard of SG and LG being used for tiger , bear, boar and everything in between by Indian hunters of old.
No reason a LG won’t take down a Tiger. 6 x 0.36 cal balls were not to be sneezed at.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:55 am

Very Nice Eljefe,
You are not using a press of any kind? Do they fit the chamber kinda snug since therre is no resizing?

I've been using Hi Tek coated rounds for a few years now (9mm).
You'll know when you exceed the limits of the HiTek coating; your target backers will start smoldering.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:07 am

I have 3 presses- A hornady DL 155, a Lee Jr and a Lee loader. I had resized and deprimed a huge tub of hulls a few years ago. Last go-I used factory 1 Oz Bronze wing ammo, cut off the end of the Pie crimp , add some nitro card spacers, lopped off the petals and roll crimped. I loaded some ‘hot’ with the 515 gr Lyman ‘air gun’ slug and they were great performers.

I’m using Hitek for everything from .223 to .45 ACP to 404 cast. In a fit of boredom, I once coated jacketed .310 150 gr for my cadet 7.62x39 with Bronze 502 and day-Um-I got a sub MoA group with a vertical dispersion of 5mm! It’s a 60 year old 2 groove .303 barrel. So it’s only coated factory pills for that rifle.

Joe Ban, the inventor , is a phone call away and always has 30 min to advise anyone who calls him 😉
The metallic colours- Texas Tea, Gun Metal and Bronze 502 do great at 2200 + FPS. Mate has driven SAECO 160 gr from a 7 Rem Mag at 2600 FPS with no leading.
Do you buy coated pills from that bloke on CB or coat them yourself ?
Great meeting another Hitek user. 👍🏻