I want to buy this,

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: 101 years old J Purdey gun prise

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:36 am

russianshooter3 wrote:Ok ok and what?
That C or LC in a diamond does not tell you the length of the chambers.

Here is the clue: LC indicates a chamber length more than 3 inches. You need to read that along with other marks. If a gun is chambered for 3" cartridges, it does not need more than 3" chambers. Then, why does LC here say more than 3" chamber length? What is the need to say that on a shotgun made before 1925?

Here comes the final clue.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/kill_3half_12gauge.htm
1988 was the year that Mossberg introduced the 3-1/2 inch 12 gauge and Federal Ammunition introduced 3-1/2 inch unfolded length shotshells to go along with it.
Added in 18 minutes 26 seconds:
Shabbu9x9 wrote:Vikram sir is 5 lack is right prise for gun
I want to buy this,

Shabbu,

The photos you posted tell very little about the gun. It is really difficult to see any details about its condition. Also, if someone was told that this gun has 2 3/4" chambers, and there is a good chance that it doesn't, and has been shooting 2 3/4" cartridges, there is a chance that it can blow up in one's face.If not immediately, sometime in future. One can never tell.

For any gun, you need photos taken clearly in sunlight, showing the receiver, barrel flats, inside the barrels, muzzle end, breech, under the forearm, breech face,stock,etc.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:45 am

Vikram wrote:
russianshooter3 wrote:Ok ok and what?
12c - 70 mm chamber
12lc - 76 mm or longer chamber
:mrgreen:

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:29 pm

IMHO, most Game Guns (London) were in 2.5" chambers as the longer chambered shotguns were classified as Fowling Pieces used for market hunting. I doubt if the era this one was produced in were ever bored beyond 2.5" chambers. A few indeed were sent , both Purdeys and Hollands and the kinds back to the makers to swap the barrels with longer chambers. How ever this exercise too began in 1950 onward. Thanks to American ammo makers.

Marksman .

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:58 pm

marksman wrote:IMHO, most Game Guns (London) were in 2.5" chambers as the longer chambered shotguns were classified as Fowling Pieces used for market hunting. I doubt if the era this one was produced in were ever bored beyond 2.5" chambers. A few indeed were sent , both Purdeys and Hollands and the kinds back to the makers to swap the barrels with longer chambers. How ever this exercise too began in 1950 onward. Thanks to American ammo makers.

Marksman .
Exactly.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:34 pm

A 70mm cartridge can chamber in a gun meant to shoot 65mm cartridges . That does not mean that you can fire the 70mm cartridge in it.

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks Vikram for the vast information.
Very good reading indeed.
winnie_the_pooh is correct.
The Cartridge will open to its original length,
Only after being fired.
A 70mm will not open properly in the 65mm Chamber.
This may cause the Breach to come apart or explode.

Regards,
Jr.

Shabbu9x9
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Shabbu9x9 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:40 pm

How to measuring the chambers ?
My friend tack the gun to gun shop ask for chamber size He say 2 3/4. I have video gun chamber but I don't know how to post video
Thanks
Regards

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:50 am

Jr. wrote:Thanks Vikram for the vast information.
You are welcome! (y)

Shabbu wrote:How to measuring the chambers ?
My friend tack the gun to gun shop ask for chamber size He say 2 3/4. I have video gun chamber but I don't know how to post video
You need a chamber gauge to measure chamber length. There could be other methods. I know little or nothing about them. But, looking at the chambers is not one of the methods to measure. Placing a 2 3/4" cartridge in the breech and closing the barrel is also not a way of measuring it.

The proof marks are not telling you that it has 2 3/4" chambers. If you can take it to someone who has a chamber gauge, then it will clearly tell you what it is. If someone tells you something by looking at it, please ask them how they came to that conclusion.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Photos of proof marks on Pradyumna's Manton shotgun. You can clearly see that the gun is marked to have 2 1/2" chambers and also has the 12C in a diamond.

Thank you,Pradyumna, for the photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shabbu9x9
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Shabbu9x9 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:46 am

Vikram wrote:Photos of proof marks on Pradyumna's Manton shotgun. You can clearly see that the gun is marked to have 2 1/2" chambers and also has the 12C in a diamond.

Thank you,Pradyumna, for the photos.

Ok sir but my wife gun wable scott 12c in a diamond you can see in pic the gun is marked to have 2 3/4 chambers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:29 am

Shabbu9x9 wrote:Ok sir but my wife gun wable scott 12c in a diamond you can see in pic the gun is marked to have 2 3/4 chambers
You need to ask a question here. If 12C means 2 3/4" chamber, why again mark it as having a 2 3/4" chamber?

12C here it means that it is 12-bore.

12LC means the gun has three inch or longer chambers. Read carefully here. It is telling you that it has three inch or longer chamber but not exactly which. Why? Because, guns with three inch or longer chambers are proved differently. In case of guns with a chamber length of three inches or more, gun makers would inform the proof house in writing. These guns shall be proved with one-sixth more powder than what is used for ordinary proof, and shall be marked with a special Chamber mark. LC is that special chamber mark.

Conclusion: 12C can be interpreted as having a chamber length of less than 3". But, that does not tell you that it has 2.5" or 2 3/4". That is the reason why guns proved after 1925 have marks telling you the length of the chamber. I hope you understand it now.

russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by russianshooter3 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:21 am

12c its 2 3/4 chamber
And Shabbu9x9 right!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:46 am

russianshooter3 wrote:12c its 2 3/4 chamber
And Shabbu9x9 right!
For the last time, I will tell you respectfully. If you do not have evidence to prove your claim, please do not offer false claims as truth. If you have evidence please post it here. Offering incorrect information can cause serious harm to people.

Pradyumna
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Pradyumna » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:27 am

Shabbu...Now you must have been confirmed that 12C doesn't have any relationship with chamber length. It is simple. My Manton says 2 1/2" with 12C and your Webly says 2 3/4" with 12C.Mark the proofed load. Mine is proofed for 1 1/8 oz ( for 21/2" chamber) and yours for 1 1/4 oz ( for 2 3/4" chamber).