Sbi buying 11000 shotguns

Posts related to shotguns.
gwattal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Sbi buying 11000 shotguns

Post by gwattal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:06 pm

http://m.huffingtonpost.in/2017/03/09/s ... mg00000001

Pellet guns became infamous last year for the injuries it caused Kashmiri stone pelters last year, and now pellet guns can be found in a State Bank of India (SBI) near you.

The Hindustan Times reports that the largest bank of India is going to buy 11,000 of the guns that are only given to security guards of the government.

As has been seen during the Kashmir unrests, these guns have the potential to cause severe injuries and can even be fatal. It has the potential to main and blind.

The scariest bit? When the gun is fired, the pellets come out scattered in huge numbers. It has the potential to injure several people in its range.

Ratneshwar Varma, general manager of Rifle Factory Ishapore that manufactures these guns tells the newspaper, ""We have produced the first batch. According to the agreement, we have to deliver 11,000 guns to SBI over a period of three years. These will be however be sold only through authorised gun dealers in every state."

The Indian Express had reported a few hundred pellets that resemble ball bearing make one cartridge of a pellet gun.

While these "non-lethal" guns are only meant to only cause pain, they have resulted in deaths in of more than 100 people in Kashmir last year.

Under pressure because of the injuries and deaths in Kashmir, the government had mulled replacing the lead balls with rubber pellets and had even set up a committee to look into the issue.

The latest report on SBI acquiring pellet guns raises questions about the safety and security of employees and even customers in case pellet guns need to be used.
Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
hillsman
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Sbi buying 11000 pellet guns

Post by hillsman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Pellet guns? Seems like they are referring to shotguns with birdshot shells.

gwattal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by gwattal » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:09 pm

does SBI require a licence to acquire 11,000 firearms ?

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 pm

I think hillsman is correct; referring to a Shotgun as a Pellet Gun is quite innovative though - after all it can fire pellets! :lol:

The only firearm that matches the ingenious description with reference to the security segment at http://rfi.nic.in/ is the one below:

12 BORE PUMP ACTION GUN

The 12 Bore Pump Action Gun has been specially developed for use as a security weapon. It is a single barrel breach loading weapon superior to 12 Bore DBBL. It is provided with a tubular magazine, which holds 4 nos. of 12 Bore Cartridges and is placed parallel to and below the barrel. Extraction, loading and cocking of the cartridges take place in a single 'pump action' by operating handle, sliding along the magazine. Due to rapid reloading by pump action and spread of shots, it is an ideal weapon for counter ambush tactics.

SPECIFICATIONS :
Weapon Single Barrel Breach Loading
Calibre 12 Bore (18.578 mm to 18.628 mm)
Chamber 70 mm (2-3/4")
Length of Barrel I. Civilian use - 510 mm (20") NPB
II. Military / Police - 478 mm (18") PB
Ammunition 12 Bore 2.5" OR 12 Bore 2.75"
Magazine Capacity 4 Rounds
Weight 3.05 kgs.

APPLICATIONS :
Banks security
Anti insurgent applications
Industrial security
Personal security
Sporting Arm
Anti Riot role by use of Rubber Ball non-lethal ammunition
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Gentlemen instead of reading what Huffington Post has to say about reports filed by mainstream newspapers please read the original report filed by Hindustan Times

Kalyanda, yours sincerely as usual :D

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... sZRDI.html

Though its essentially a news report there are some technical information that lot of members here wanted to know :wink:
BTW Its been described as a '5-shot' weapon in the report because it can take four in mag and one in chamber.

Cheers

TC

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:56 pm

:lol: TC - good one!

Soon after I posted - I checked out your article and another thread on the same topic viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24978 IOF pump action 12GA shotgun manufactured 2017.

I am not as sharp as I used to be! :D

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:07 pm

ckkalyan wrote::lol: TC - good one!

Soon after I posted - I checked out your article and another thread on the same topic viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24978 IOF pump action 12GA shotgun manufactured 2017.

I am not as sharp as I used to be! :D

Kalyanda, of course you are as sharp as you used to be. Its just the festive mood of Holi :lol:

TC

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Sbi buying 11000 shotguns

Post by dsingh » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:42 pm

It is 12 bore gun called pellet gun due to fact that it is loaded with 16no cartridges recently introduced in USA for killing Burmese Python from close range as it has 400 to 600 pellets .It is more dangerous as if fired by bank security gurard it can maim many innocent bystanders.Apart from it pumpaction gun has more speed and amno but DBBL has range and durablity.Some bank guards r not confortable with this weapon they say it has problem of missing than traditional guns.

Sam Kunal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Sbi buying 11000 shotguns

Post by Sam Kunal » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 am

In my town a SBI branch purchased about 12 new pump action shotgun the past week. Missed my chance of having a close look at the new gun.