Pump Action Gun

Posts related to shotguns.
Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Pump Action Gun

Post by Rudra » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:53 pm

The only cartridge i have been using (except foreign) is astram.
every year the list which comes to my father from NRAI contains the name Meghna

any way thanks for correcting me Badshah Bhai

Regards

Rudra
POWER RISES FROM THE BARREL OF A GUN :twisted:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:59 am

GUN GURU GRUMPY where are u/
Mack The Knife i am waiting

:)

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:37 am

Yup, 100% Mark. As far as double guns are concerned a non-ejector has extractors as it only extracts the cartridge enough for them to be removed by hand whilst an ejector literally ejects the shells from the chambers.
I`ve never heard anything about pump-action shotguns to suggest that they were unreliable.......anything but in fact. I happen to find them a pain in the butt because I have a duff right hand and therefore can`t use it to cycle a pump-action - which makes them pretty useless for a fast second shot.
For PS I used a Benelli semi-auto which could be used in pump-action mode to clear a blockage if one occurred........although typically I never did experience a jam. A useful `best-of-both-worlds` type facility though.
I can`t comment on Indian cartridges as I`ve never used any. If however they are known to cause problems with some pump-actions they must be seriously out of specification as pump actions are known to clear everything - they are extremely reliable.
Last edited by Grumpy on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:47 am

Rudra";p="28270 wrote:Mack The Knife i am waiting.
Rudra, I think you have a rather exaggerated opinion about me. As far as I recall, I haven't even handled a pump action shotgun.

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Thanks Grumps tis is what I wanted so Now i am going to apply for a licence.

Ard Mack The Knife dont under estimate ur self and if u have any confusion ask oll the other members to vote. :wink:
Its OK that u havent used any but I am sure now u must be trying to use one. :)

Regards

Rudra

Serious Redneck
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Serious Redneck » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:25 am

Mossberg 590, stronger action than the 500, best for long term shooting of magnum rounds. get it in the "marine-coat" finish if you want it impervious to weather. This model made primarily for police and military applications. I've got a model 37 Ithaca in 16 gauge, nice shooting gun, light and points easy.

Happy day to you all.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:39 am

i recently posted a thread about meghna cartridges and was told they didnt exist and that it was a typo. in fact even the heading was edited from meghna to 'magna'.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:57 pm

I own a Remington 870 and I love it. But yes, I do have a 'struggle' with the Winchester steel shells that my club has. (I'll usually have to spend a couple of extra seconds on one or two shells per box).

But apart from that, all lead shells that I buy for the other club or hunting are totally fine. I think it is a work horse, with simpler mechanism than a semi-auto, making it less prone to jams otherwise.

Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Amit,

The hard extraction is caused by a rough chamber, I have seen several 870's with this issue. Lead shells extract just fine but steel or turkey loads hang up. If you remove the barrel and look in the chamber you will see what I mean.

To fix it wrap some 220 grit wet or dry sandpaper over a piece of wooden dowel rod and chuck it in a drill and use it to polish the chamber. Use some oil on the sandpaper which can be anything- WD40, 3 in 1 oil, ATF, etc. Don't go too heavy but that is hard to do with sandpaper unless you constantly tear off the worn section. You do not have to completely remove the machining marks but the more you do the easier the heavy shells extract.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:11 am

" You do not have to completely remove the machining marks but the more you do the easier the heavy shells extract."

Except that if you remove too much the shell moves in the chamber and slips by the extractor causing ejection problems................................................

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by conty1 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:27 am

Mark";p="29957 wrote:Amit,

The hard extraction is caused by a rough chamber, I have seen several 870's with this issue. Lead shells extract just fine but steel or turkey loads hang up. If you remove the barrel and look in the chamber you will see what I mean.

To fix it wrap some 220 grit wet or dry sandpaper over a piece of wooden dowel rod and chuck it in a drill and use it to polish the chamber. Use some oil on the sandpaper which can be anything- WD40, 3 in 1 oil, ATF, etc. Don't go too heavy but that is hard to do with sandpaper unless you constantly tear off the worn section. You do not have to completely remove the machining marks but the more you do the easier the heavy shells extract.

Hmm... interesting!!!

Well, tomorrow I'm taking a day off work and going Pheasant hunting with dad. Let me see if I find some time after I return, I might get something done.

Amit

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

arvind s.
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by arvind s. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:11 am

Another vote here for the Remington 870 Express. Btw, how much should it cost to have an extension installed on the gun? From what I have read, Remington installed two dimples in the magazine to prevent an extension from being installed. Since I do not have any gunsmithing experience, I was wondering how hard it is to do.

Arvind

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:12 am

Why do you want to fit a magazine extension ?
To look good or for hunting ?
If you want the extra capacity for hunting carry the shells as the extension tube with extra cartridges ruins the handling.
The only use for magazine extensions is for police officers/military who can use a heck of a lot of ammo or for competition use like Practical Shotgun.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:42 am

Arvind,

Welcome to the forums!

As Grumpy said, mag extensions on a field shotgun are quite an abomination, the handling goes all to heck and most likely you are only allowed 3 shells anyway legally, so you have to make an extra long plug from a dowel to be legal.

For home defense, I'll give my 2 cents and say that this is really where you need a nice handling gun, and most guns will hold 5 anyway.

HOWEVER..... To answer your question you can install extensions yourself. Midway has a whole bunch of them for the 870:

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/se ... rch_Button
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

sudhaiob
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sudhaiob » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:21 pm

I have a mossberg 500 series pump for the past 20 years or so and the only thing that has come out is its rear sight which i got replaced locally.
I will upload pictures of it after taking a couple of pictures of it.