An abomination called a plastic K-80

Posts related to shotguns.
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:15 pm

Navdeep and Vikram, The following link might be of interest to you. This is a discussion going on about the differences between the K32/k80 and the Remington 32/3200.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thr ... essages=22

I dont mean to take anything away from Mehul and Grumpy's vastly greater knowledge and experience here. I agree that the K32/K80 is the same basic design as the Rem 32/3200 but I think the only thing common between the two at this point is that they have a top latch. I've handled both and I think the K32/K80 are much better in my opinion than the Rem 32/3200. If you're looking into buying a 3200, please do enough research about them (more than I know) and make sure you know who will support it after your purchase.

Please also find out if the particular 3200 has been "updated". I think for a couple of hundred more, you can get a nice Beretta 68x or a Browning Citori that will serve you much better (if it fits you of course).

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Hi Sharief,

Thanks for the link and the advise.Points duly noted. I am looking for a nice O/U, used not terribly expensive but decent.Once, I learn the ropes well, and save enough, will go for a good to very good shooter. Thanks again.

Best- Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: An abomination called a plastic K-80

Post by Grumpy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:27 am

Hi Vikram. Yeah, people forget that the Krieghoff K32/K80 is a copy of the Remington 3200. The 3200 is a fine gun.......and, typical of Remington, was dropped because it was too expensive to make. The example that you show is a high grade trap gun......and probably quite pricey. I do know of an ordinary grade 3200 trap gun for sale in the UK - price is ?550. It looks to be in very nice condition as well. I can email you the details if you`re interested.
Re Bedford next Thursday: I don`t see how I can get there - I`m not allowed to drive with this busted knee and my wife and sons are all working. Can`t even use the train because I need someone to wheel me around. Am I p****d off ?
Yes - very !
Nearly forgot: The 3200 update was a receiver modification to prevent the fore-end cracking. This was retro-fitted at the factory but the late guns were modified as standard. The Krieghoff K32/K80 WAS/IS a direct copy with minor modifications but ( I believe ) with metric tooling - parts are not interchangable between the Remington and Krieghoff.
There`s a lot of BS spoken about the Krieghoff being better built than the Remington - it isn`t. The Krieghoff certainly isn`t perfect......as a former owner of a K32 Skeet gun that suddenly decided to be a 2 shot machine gun I can attest to that !
The Finnish Valmet is another gun that was based on the Remington 3200 but substantially modified. A French manufacturer also produced a design based on the 3200.
I`ve just read the link provided by HGSharief - a lot of personal opinion ( as always ) but the facts agree with what I`ve said.
Don`t even bother looking for a Remington 32 - they`re rare and expensive ( Only 4,000 odd made ) . A very fine gun and largely handbuilt.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:45 am

I`ve just seen where you found that high grade Remington 3200 Vikram - on Guntrader @ ?700. If it`s as good as it looks it would actually make more money in the US. The ?600 Skeet gun would be a better buy because of the flat rib............although being choked Skeet and Skeet it could do with having multichokes fitted.
To be sensible though, unless you can find a 3200 game gun I wouldn`t recommend that you buy any of them - having stocks designed to be pre-mounted they would not make good game guns.
By the way - have you noticed that according to the details at left of page you are 106 years old !!! Older than Mehul.........older than I even !

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:05 am

Hi Grumpy,

Thanks very much for sharing your extensive knowledge with us. I cannot stress too much about how rich IFG is for having you with us. Sorry to have been tardy in responding. Yes, the Remingtons all are on guntrader. The one you pointed out looks exceedingly well,doesn't it? More than the gun, I loved the nice walnut. Apart from the functional robustness, how does a 3200 compare in terms of handling and balance with the K guns? Apart from the fine wood,engravings etc, what is it that makes the K guns so expensive? Just curious. Can a game stock for the Rem-3200 can be bought and use it for both Trap shooting and game shooting? Would it cost a lot? By no means a giant, but for my slightly over 6'1" frame, I find that standard 14 1/2" stocks are short for me. I remember very well your "buy the gun not the name" motto and I share your outlook. Thanks a lot Grumpy.

Best-
Vikram

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:30 am

Grumpy";p="2495 wrote: Re Bedford next Thursday: I don`t see how I can get there - I`m not allowed to drive with this busted knee and my wife and sons are all working. Can`t even use the train because I need someone to wheel me around. Am I p****d off ?
Yes - very !
My My. I really forgot about it. :oops: Sorry. Get well soon.

Best- Vikram

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:11 pm

Barrel lengths being the same I find that the 3200 trap guns tend to feel muzzle heavy compared to the K80. As regards build quality I reckon that there`s very little to choose between them. I do think that the K80 is chronically overpriced - that the result of producing an unusual design in limited quantities I suppose.
Unless you are very ( VERY ! ) lucky and find a 3200 game stock in the US for a reasonable price having a new stock made would be prohibitively expensive. Having the comb cut down to sporter specs and refinished would be much less expensive......but still not cheap.
I`m 5`10 1/2" and find most 14 1/2" LOP stocks too short........and no, I haven`t got arms like a Chimpanzee ! Addind extra length is not a problem - just add a plastic spacer/s between the pad and butt.
I`ve replied to your email Vikram.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Adding to the grief.....

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:01 pm

Sharief,

If you're not careful, you'll probably get a migraine from seeing all those ugly guns. :lol: Why on earth people have to use this kind of garish colour scheme I'll never understand. But then, I guess, those who shoot these things (can't get myself to call them "guns" for some reason) probably consider wood and blued steel ugly....

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Single barrel trap guns - with the massive rib - built on O/U double actions are ugly enough anyway so `dressing them up` with a fetching metallic blue colour scheme doesn`t make too much difference. I`ll conede one thing......the blue is better than that Canary yellow Krieghoff !
Not too many naff colour schemes on clay guns in the UK but some of the long range boys have got rather garish paint schemes on their rifles.
They make one yearn for figured wood don`t they ?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:46 am

mehulkamdar";p="2728 wrote: Why on earth people have to use this kind of garish colour scheme I'll never understand.
Eureka! This colouration has a very practical if somewhat crafty purpose. It plays havoc with the competitors' focus and you get to score higher.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:48 am

Grumpy";p="2729 wrote: Not too many naff colour schemes on clay guns in the UK but some of the long range boys have got rather garish paint schemes on their rifles.
They make one yearn for figured wood don`t they ?
I found the K-80 of all the places on the guntrader! :lol:

Best-

Vikram

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:00 am

Just goes to prove that there`s bad taste everywhere. I haven`t seen that gun around.......and somehow I`m sure I`d remember it !