German shotgun blew up

Posts related to shotguns.
Walibaa
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

German shotgun blew up

Post by Walibaa » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:46 am

Just saw this on Facebook. German make shotgun (jp sauer) barrel blew up with shaktiman 4.8 ammo. Pictures below. Owner says barrel was clean.
Seniors add your suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://t.me/pump_upp

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: German shotgun blew up

Post by mundaire » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:40 pm

Was the owner using 70mm ammo in 65mm chambers? You can get away with it most times, but the increased pressures can be disastrous in old guns.

BTW there is visible pitting under the barrels, not that it should/ would have made a difference, just saying...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:45 pm

It may have been a very old gun. The 4.8 is 70mm and I have been a regular user of 4.8 in my Indian 30 year old gun but the barrel is clean, not even a spot of pitting.
Hope the guy using the gun is safe and didn't blow off his hand.

Atul

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:01 pm

I think Abhijit nailed it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Walibaa
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Walibaa » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:08 pm

What about the gun now? As 1 barrel is blown. Is it repairable or can 1 barrel be replaced or the gun is scrap now?
https://t.me/pump_upp

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Looks very much like a typical barrel burst caused by a cleaning patch left in the barrel. But no way to tell for sure, especially with all the pitting and rust. Repairable ? Yes, but not on the cheap. Replacing just one barrel would be near impossible and cost prohibitive. And given the gun's poor condition , not worth it.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:04 am

In India it would be much cheaper to buy another gun. Here, 12 bore guns are the cheapest firearms that you can buy.

Atul

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:44 am

sure everything age...let it be anything
regards
dr.jk

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:14 am

Dr.JK,

I saw the second photograph after enlarging it on reading the post by Abhijit and XL. This gun has been very poorly maintained. Notice the amount of rust and pitting on the barrels.

Atul

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:52 am

No Abhijit, the barrel has blown up in the middle. It's not 70mm or 76mm or 2-3/4 ammo, it's the barrel. I have few blowed out shotgun barrels sitting in my house. If any barrel blow up with longer size ammo, it would bulge at the chamber not in the middle. If it's blown up at the choke, then it's wrong or tighter choke. I believe the barrel in this case blown due to the age of the gun and possibly not proper care.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:37 pm

TwoRivers,

Talking about a cleaning patch left in the barrel, it is not unusual (in India) to see people who stick wads of chindi (soft cleaning cloth sold in a roll) into the muzzles of their shotguns :roll:

This is ostensibly done to keep any debris from entering the barrel and in fact this sort of behaviour is getting to be so common that I have even seen purpose made plastic caps that are stuck into the muzzles of shotguns, for the same purpose.

Wonder what would happen if any of these people ever need to use their guns in a hurry! :roll:

Hammerhead,

What you say makes sense. The burst is clearly well ahead of the chamber/ forcing cone.

It will most certainly be repaired by whichever dealer buys it and then sold to some poor unsuspecting sod at an unrealistic price. There are dozens of small scale shotgun manufacturers in India, who will be able to replace one/ both barrels with locally made one(s). They will of course imprint all the correct proof marks to ensure that the gun remains in "original condition saar". :evil:

No way is this "fine imported" shotgun going to be junked in a hurry :twisted:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Abhijit,

That is true. It would be reassembled and sold again, as in India we take scrapping of any thing very seriously. There are lot of unsuspecting souls out there to buy anything thrown to them. It is a big profit making machine in India.

Atul

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:40 pm

My two penny worth....this shotgun should be reported as "Total loss" item to the licensing authorities and one should apply to obtain permission to buy another in its place. This fire arm may have been salvaged from fire, reconditioned and sold.. or may have given up the ghost due to metal fatigue if not a the obstruction half way to the barrel. The barrel wall looked pretty thick though.
Our Indian shotgun manufacturers are fully aware of the buyers and their experimentations with concocted loads. That's why these Indian shotguns lack balance and beauty but are made to go through all Kinds of uncalled for experiments.
Marksman

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:42 pm

marksman wrote:My two penny worth....this shotgun should be reported as "Total loss" item to the licensing authorities and one should apply to obtain permission to buy another in its place. This fire arm may have been salvaged from fire, reconditioned and sold.. or may have given up the ghost due to metal fatigue if not a the obstruction half way to the barrel. The barrel wall looked pretty thick though.
Our Indian shotgun manufacturers are fully aware of the buyers and their experimentations with concocted loads. That's why these Indian shotguns lack balance and beauty but are made to go through all Kinds of uncalled for experiments.
Marksman
Marksman,

If I had blown off my shotgun I would never go to the LA to have it deregistered or destroyed (there is a provision of scrapping guns in India also). I would try to salvage whatever it is worth to a dealer who obviously is going to recondition it (even though not safe).And put in the balance amount to pick up another gun.
I know that I am being blunt, but most of the people would think on the similar lines.

Atul

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:21 am

aadhaulya wrote:Dr.JK,

I saw the second photograph after enlarging it on reading the post by Abhijit and XL. This gun has been very poorly maintained. Notice the amount of rust and pitting on the barrels.

Atul
yes aadhaulya...thats aging..cant help...but as you say good maintenence can sure increase the life
regards
dr.jk