Hammer Guns

Posts related to shotguns.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Hammer Guns

Post by Grumpy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:07 pm

When the hammer is down the striker is forward and held by the hammer so a knock on the hammer could fire the gun HOWEVER the gun shouldn`t be transported in such a manner - either the gun should be opened or the hammers set to the half-cock position - half-cock equates to the safe position. When traversing obstacles the gun - any break-barrel gun - should always be opened.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:08 pm

By the way, I bought a gorgeous Charles Lancaster sidelock hammer gun last week - full sideplates, percussion fences, full coverage engraving, nice wood. The barrels are rubbish though as the pitting looks too deep to lap out to me.....which means either finding another set of barrels to persuade to fit - unlikely as it`s one of Lancasters own actions - or sleeving the gun......something that I don`t like having to do. Either way, the gun IS worth spending money on........infortunately it`ll be a lot of money.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:00 am

My oldest hammer guns date from the 1870s - age is not a problem, how a gun has been abused in the intervening years though could be a major problem.
Obviously you are correct Hamhingra- a used gun should be thoroughly checked over before being fired......but that applies to ALL guns, not just hammer guns.

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:04 pm

Well in my opinion as the concept of self defence is considered i still prefer the modern model.
The hammer model could not provide such speed which is desired at times of trouble :wink:
So here I am with Shahid.
Because beauty always matters but it stands next to safety and speed
Regards

Rudra

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:16 pm

"The hammer model could not provide such speed which is desired at times of trouble ".

I don`t see why not - you can leave a couple of cartridges in the chambers and cock the hammers when necessary although I wouldn`t suggest that is a good policy. The only speed advantage comes when re-loading as a hammerless gun is self-cocking......... however it`s difficult to imagine a self defence situation where more than two shots might be required.....or where the couple of seconds extra required to cock the hammers might be significant.

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:32 am

"The only speed advantage comes when re-loading as a hammerless gun is self-cocking......."

Look u urself got the point.
Usually in disturbing situation, unless the motive is to kill one woud fire a couple of shots just to threaten the attacker and get rid of him and if it fails then he would try to shoot the hell out of him :evil: but in such case u couldnt trust the hammered DBBL.

Regards

Rudra
Last edited by Rudra on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
POWER RISES FROM THE BARREL OF A GUN :twisted:

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:00 am

Why not ?

I don`t think your comments make any real sense sense as the matter of a couple of seconds is neither here nor there. Certainly Cowboy Action shooters have no problems with the lack of speed involved with using hammer shotguns.
If you want ro deliver a lot of shots in a short time from a shotgun get a semi-auto with an 8-round magazine. The point is that a Double gun - hammer OR hammerless - can deliver two shots very quickly......but the next two - and those thereafter - cannot be followed up with any speed at all. If you need rapid multiple shot capability you don`t use a double gun.

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Yes I have midland english gun but in in bad shape in one of its barrel .I have lot of difficulty in selling it has to sell it at throwaway price. It was 100 years old hammered gun
regards

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:05 pm

mundaire";p="26487 wrote: Might as well jump in with my 2 bits here... I actually learned shotgunning using a single barrel hammered gun (Indian make - Pioneer). This gun has a 30" barrel with a cylinder choke, as to it's effectiveness, both Asif and Mack The Knife have seen the gun in action and if you do your job, it does its job rather well...

Personally I think if one has a choice between a reasonably priced (nice) hammered gun in good nick and an expensive hammerless gun, I'd pick the former for most uses. They are usually bargains and one does not feel too bad about them getting knocked about in the field... which they invariably would, if actually put to use.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
I have Indian made single barrel Indian made Santhakhoo eagle is trade mark and is hammered .As I have mentioned in my earlier post it has hit the target up to 220 meters which is unbelievable and have a nice ejector.It has 32 inch barrel. I think hammered guns are more safe.
regards

Rudra
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudra » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:40 am

U r right grumps
but why to spend time cocking when u have a modern version. :)
genuinely does that make any sense ?
Answer as an expert not as a debater
Next i dont think that semi auto shot guns are allowed in India.
And if they are tell me how can i possess one

Regards

Rudra
POWER RISES FROM THE BARREL OF A GUN :twisted:

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:41 pm

Rudra. don`t misunderstand me, I am NOT a fan of hammer shotguns - but my objection to them is based on the fact that I do not like the sight picture presented
by a hammer gun......especially when one hammer has fallen. That, however, does not detract from a hammer guns functionality or practicality which, to all intents and purposes, is just as good as a hammerless gun in the role of a self-defence weapon.
Prove to me that a new Indian gun is as good as an old British/German/Austrian/some Belgian and French guns and I would be prepared to endorse them but I`ve seen no evidence that they are of any worthwhile quality.......especially not when cimpared to those old guns. Meanwhile those old guns allow those with more didcerning taste to own a good quality gun without the price being too `sky-high`.
Indians, generally, have no concept of what building a `Best` gun entails because most have never seen one ..... and there are certainly none produced in India. A best gun is a sidelock - if hammerless, a sidelock ejector. It uses top quality componants and is built by master craftsmen. It is finished and assembled by hand, is fully engraved and fitted with a European Walnut stock and fore-end which are fine - cut - chequered by hand. I`ve seen Pakistani built sidelock ejectors, imported to order by a Hampshire dealer, which are described as `best guns` and are reckoned to be far superior to anything produced in India. Whatever they are, they are not `Best` guns......they`re `quite good` guns but nowhere near `Best`quality: The fit and finish are are not top quality, the chequering is nowhere near good enough, the wood hasn`t been correctly selected and the engraving looks like crappy Spanish work. They are though, sidelock ejectors with Walnut woodwork.
By the way, a `best` quality boxlock is just that: a `best boxlock`- NEVER a `best gun`.
No, as far as I know, semi-automatic shotguns are not allowed in India. At the time I was making the point that no double-barrel shotgun - side-by-side or over/under - is ideal in the self-defence role. Self-defence/riot control/short range offence are what the high capacity semi-auto shotgun excells at. You just have to get into the habit of `feeding` the magazine to keep it topped up. An empty gun is a club.......and not a very good one.
Last edited by Grumpy on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Seems that Hammer guns are making a come back now.
I know of at least 2 ppl who own 12 bore dbbl Hammered guns.
/s/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:27 am

Here in North America, old British hammer guns in respectable condition cost more than a new base model Beretta O/U.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:55 am

:shock: wow
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:08 pm

In terms of grumpy saying Double gun - hammer OR hammerless - can deliver two shots very quickly;

I wonder how well a hammer gun would do in olympic skeet. it takes a fraction of a second for the hammer to fall but that makes all the difference in a fast game like olympic shooting.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.