W.P. JONES SXS

Posts related to shotguns.
zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

W.P. JONES SXS

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi all,
Finally bought a SXS shotty ''W.P.JONES'' with 2-3/4'' chamber and 30'' barrel. Got it for a good price from an uncle. He never used the gun in his life except few occasions, just to show that he is part of hunting team with a gun back in old days. It belonged to his father.
Sharing some pictures of the gun just to show my fellow ifgians. The gun was not in a good conditions as the old gentleman never take time to look at her beautiful body. Well, I did some cleaning for the Exhibit. Clean the barrels using Rem oil. No pitting on barrels seen. Hope you all like it.

Last edited by zaheer.bakshi on Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: W.P. JONES SXS

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:49 am

Congratulations zaheer.bakshi on your lovely shotgun - enjoy!

I found some information about a similar gun that was sold on the web that you might find of interest here:

http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/Jones%20B ... etails.htm

12 bore Box Lock Ejector, no. 14458 Approximate date of manufacture: 1891-96

This gun is a fabulously finished and specified example of the Anson & Deeley boxlock that had become such a hugely successful design by the last decade of the 19th Century and represent a very rare opportunity to acquire such a fine gun in its original maker' case. The action is profusely covered with best fine foliate scroll, bouquets and animals and this coupled with our sensitive restoration makes it a very pretty and 'shootable' gun for either game or clays.

Similar Scrollwork (love the way the scrolling is carried on the screw heads) and the Sl No. is closer to yours (13359) - so maybe of interest?

Congratulations again!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:54 am

Very nice gun. Really love the intricate carving work on it. Congratulations

Regards

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Thank you very much CK & aadhaulya. And CK thanks for taking your precious time to provide information.

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Lovely gun with beautiful engraving Zaheer, The engraving tells me that this is a higher grade gun compared to run of the mill Birmingham boxlocks. Looks like the barrels are Damascus, You will have to check the bores carefully to see that there is any pitting as evaluating condition of Damascus barrels is difficult & if possible get it examined by a competent gunsmith who can check barrel thickness before shooting high pressure loads in it.

Also I don't see Nitro Proofs on the barrel flats which means it should be used with low pressure black powder shells which may not be available in India. Does it say 2 3/4" chamber anywhere on the gun? most of the guns in that era were made with 2 1/2" chambers though there were some with 2 3/4 & 3" chambers. This could be a live pigeon gun because of the side clips and is possible that it was made with 2 3/4 chambers originally.

Enjoyed the pics and thanks for sharing the pics of this lovely gun.

Herb
Last edited by herb on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Herb,
It is not written on gun about the chamber, but I have checked with the gun smith. It is 2-3/4'' chamber.
Regarding the Nitro Proof, I am not sure as it is not marked on the gun.

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Some additional info about Jones I found in an old book on British gun makers (Birmingham GunMakers by Douglas Tate).....thought you might be interested.

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:44 pm

Thank you herb for this detailed information about the maker. Very interesting to read.

zaheer.bakshi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zaheer.bakshi » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:02 pm