Chiappa's TripleCrown

Posts related to shotguns.
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Chiappa's TripleCrown

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Had been waiting for Chiappa's (www.Chiappa Arms) 20 gauge "upside-down drilling" to become available, as I thought the 12 gauge would be too heavy and clumsy. And finally it did. Different. With its fairly tightly curved, but long, grip, substantial weight, and balance point just ahead of the hinge pin, it handles more like a good sxs rifle rather than a shotgun. For me it comes up and points nicely. The fore wood is "semi"-beavertail, coming up on the sxs barrels, without being too wide. When shouldered, it feels like an O/U, you don't notice the sxs barrels at all. Made in Turkey (Kakkar), fit and finish, both metal and wood, is excellent. Wood also is a very nice grade,with dark streaking. Now, if only they would make in a 28 gauge! (At least, they didn't rule it out.) Or, a 28 gauge with a rimfire or .22 Hornet on top. That would be my perfect forage gun.

At seven pounds nine ounces it is not a light weight, and I don't think I'd take it after quail, or into a woodcock thicket. But in a duck blind, canoe or kayak, or a dove stand, it should earn its keep. And be fun besides. Even after prairie pheasant or sharptail. It comes with sling swivels, just for those prairie miles of walking.

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Chiappa's TripleCrown

Post by xl_target » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Is this something new as I can't find any mention of a 20 gauge drilling on Chiappa's site or in their catalog?
Or is this the triple barreled shotgun?
You wouldn't happen to have a photo or a link to a photo would you?

One interesting thing that I discovered is that Chiappa has quite a range of firearms, including blackpowder replicas.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Never mind, I see that the "triple Crown" is a triple barreled shotgun.
I should pay more attention to the title of the post... LOL.

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:08 pm

I have followed this gun for a while but dont know what to make of it.
Gimmick or an innovation?

Not sure about what the balance is gonna be like.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:09 am

shooter wrote:I have followed this gun for a while but dont know what to make of it.
Gimmick or an innovation?

Not sure about what the balance is gonna be like.
While triple-barreled shotguns have been made before, the arrangement of the barrels is new, previously only appearing in this configuration with the top barrel being a .22 rimfire rifle barrel. The balance is surprisingly good, with the balance point just ahead of the hinge pin. Though nothing like a nice British sxs. Much like a double rifle, with the weight and 26" barrels. Have to see how it it works in the field, though I think it's a keeper. At least in 20 gauge.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:53 am

Interesting shotgun TwoRivers - thanks for sharing - Enjoy!

I tried to look for the 20 Ga on the company's website - couldn't locate it.

Checked out a 12 Ga review by hickok45 - where he talks about the firing order and barrel regulation. Triple Threat is the shorter version, Triple Crown the longer one.

[youtube][/youtube]
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 am

If you go to http://www.Armi Sport Chiappa, the Italian parent, you can see their whole line.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:33 am

Two rivers interesting addition post a range report and more photos Congrats

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:58 am

None of that before late April/early May. :D