SKB Dedicated Sporting Clays SXS

Posts related to shotguns.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

SKB Dedicated Sporting Clays SXS

Post by Vikram » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:16 pm

I have been recently consumed by the idea of a dedicated clay gun. I had a few discussions with Grumpy too. Though the idea is not new or unique, not many makers produce dedicated clay guns. There were early SXS trap guns, both hammer and hammerless, used for live pigeon shooting. They make decent clay guns.

However, a dedicated SXS clays gun seems to be less popular with shooters and hence with many manufacturers too.SKB perhaps manufactured the first SXS clays gun and they still make one.

http://www.skbshotguns.com/Shotguns/M200HR.php

https://skbshotguns.com/side-by-side/385.php

While I was searching, I found this gun. I think this is a very well made gun though I would like the beavertail forend trimmed a bit.

Photos and texts from here.
Here's a nice Side-by-Side shotgun that was manufactured in limited numbers. This is an SKB Model 385 Sporting Clays Set. This set includes a pair of 20-gauge and 28-gauge barrels which are both serial numbered to the receiver. Both sets of barrels measure 30" in length and are equipped with high ventilated rib, Hi-Viz front sights w/ mid beads, and screw-in chokes. The 20-gauge barrels have 3" chambers, the 28-gauge barrels have 2-3/4" chambers. The gun is equipped with a single-selective trigger and automatic ejectors. The safety has been made non-automatic but the original parts are included to return it to automatic function if desired. The receiver is engraved and features a durable silver nitride finish. Overall condition is excellent and the metal finish rates 99%+ with very slight handling wear but no dings, scratches, rust or pitting. The stocks show a few small marks (a couple marks to the left side of the butt and a couple marks to the right side of the 28-ga forend). There are no cracks or chips. LOP measures 14-1/8" over the black Old English pad. Drop @ Comb is 1-1/2"; Drop @ Heel is 2-1/2". The mechanics appear to be in perfect working order and the bores are bright. It comes with several choke tubes: 20-Ga extended IM, M, IC, SK I, SK II; 20-Ga flush M, IC, SK; 28-Ga flush MOD, IC, SK, SK, SK. A choke wrench and extra front sight inserts are included as well. The set comes in the factory case that is in very good condition. According to the information I have found, something between 50 and 200 of these sets were produced between 1999-2004.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: SKB Dedicated Sporting Clays SXS

Post by Sakobav » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:30 pm

My uncle in India has their shotgun maybe it was sxs have a hunch it could be o/u then due to terrorist issues he sold them away..but dont they make stuff for browning? They have a decent rep here Good luck
Cheers

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:52 pm

There are plenty of live pigeon guns around - and as most were built after the ban on competitive live pigeon shooting was introduced they were dedicated to clay shooting. Live Pigeon = Trap - as you know.
Winchester Models 21 and 23 were built in Trap versions .... just about all the the Model 23s we see in the UK are Trap versions in fact.
There are loads of other examples built in the US, Germany, Belgium, Italy .... and Spain ( the AyA No.56 Model is a dedicated competition model and is still in production ) and Japan ( SKB. )
I suspect that you need to differentiate between SxS Trap guns and SxS Sporting Clays guns ..... I can`t think of one `dedicated` SxS Sporting Clays gun ....... although I`m sure Purdey/Boss/H&H would build you one - Purdey still make a `Live Pigeon` gun.
Fabarm make a pistol grip version of the Classis 12 ( it has a beavertail fore-end as well ) which would come very close to the concept of a SxS Sporting Clays gun.
Just remember that Trap guns - be they SxS or O/U - are limited for use in the field by their slow handling and weight. There are plenty of English Live Pigeon Guns that would be closer to making a good SxS Sporting Clays gun than the SKB which is another SxS Trap gun.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Grumpy,

Thanks for the observations. A clarification. The advertisement and the makers, SKB themselves, say that the model is a dedicated sporting clays gun. The stock also does not look like a trap stock.Any reason why you would think it is a trap gun? Is it because of the raised rib alone or is there anything else? Cheers.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:02 am

Yes, you`re right, the grip is much more suited to Sporting Clays and the comb is comparitively low. Highish ribs - like this - do feature on some sporting Clays guns ... nobody much uses one but they are available. Interestingly it appears that the rib on one barrel is higher than the other. Even though it`s a 20/28 Bore I`ll bet it`s pretty hefty weight-wise - the few SKB O/Us I`ve tried have been pretty tanky. I`m afraid that I let my bias against SKB O/Us ( well built but heavy and ugly ) determine my comments without looking. This gun is actually fine looks-wise ..... much better than their O/U guns.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:54 pm

It sure looks a winner in the old school of thought who still swear by SxS, this is ans to their prayers :), it very good looking too and finish quality is looking great.

waltherppk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by waltherppk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 am

When it comes to skeet a good result is possible with a SXS but remember.

If your holding point with an O/U is X then with the SXS it has to be X-the double barrel width at station 2,3,5 and 6.

This gets tricky. On station 2 which is a left to right bird you suddenly have less time to sight follow and mount shoot.

A Single trigger helps. With double trigger one can adjust with time but on station 3 and 5 doubles and 4 doubles it gets tricky. There is no time to loose, you go at the bird pressing the trigger. It is mount to cheek and thump. Bang.

But when nothing else is available a SXS must be used, a cylinder right barrel and improved cylinder left or modified choke is best.

waltherppk
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by waltherppk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:48 am

I notice that the fore end of this gun is such that the recommended skeet position of the index finger forward can be done with it.

The High rib will be more suitable for trap not in skeet or sporting clays.

One day last year I tried shooting a few double trap birds with my skeet gun.

Mansher Singh was training his son there on this range. He saw me get the first bird with a double trap style pre mount but miss the second because of a lower rib.

I were only shooting a few shots for fun. He said shoot like you shoot skeet. Dont premount bring it up from waist level on first bird. I did that and after hitting the first bird swung right under the dipping second bird, got the pair three times out of four.

TariqThePathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TariqThePathan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:32 pm

WoW !!! Nice to see someone owning an SKB. I myself have as SKB BSA made in Japan. it's a sXs with a 28 inch barrel. Model 200. Please tell me more if you know anything about it.