Gough Thomas' Henry Atkin SLE

Posts related to shotguns.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Gough Thomas' Henry Atkin SLE

Post by Vikram » Sun May 18, 2014 6:29 pm

This is a gorgeous Henry Atkin sidelock ejector built for the well known gun writer Gough Thomas. Gough Thomas is a highly regarded writer and his books are still relevant for anyone interested in shotgunning.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20806/lot/152/

An exceptional Kell-engraved lightweight 12-bore 'Spring-Opener' sidelock ejector gun by Henry Atkin, no. 3510
The action-body with best bold acanthus scrollwork on a matt ground, traces of hardening-colour, articulated front-trigger, highly-figured stock, the chopper-lump barrels engraved Henry Atkin Ltd., 88 Jermyn St., London, S.W. with game-rib
Weight 6lb. 3oz., 14 3/8in. stock, 27in. barrels, approx. I.C. & ¾ choke, 2½in. chambers, London nitro proof
In its brass-mounted leather case
Footnotes

The makers records confirm that the gun was completed in 1948
Provenance:
Christie's London Fine Sporting Guns and Vintage Firearms 17 May 2000, lot 70

This gun was built to Gough Thomas's very particular order and completed in 1948. The case contains the writer's spectacles and pasted-in letter from Atkin's to Gough Thomas in which it says 'Wishing you the best of good health and good shooting' and details the specifications of the gun. The actioner was Mealy, the stocker and finisher A. Hodges and the engraver Harry Kell who, with Jack Sumner, was one of the greatest Victorian engravers. The specifications of the gun remain unaltered.

Literature:
Double Gun Journal, Frederick Franzen, 'The English Taste', 2001 p. 108
'From the order we can read: "Please proceed to build me ... on the strict understanding ... that you guarantee that in respect of materials, workmanship, finish and shooting qualities, the gun will conform to your highest pre-war standards. In conclusion I should say that, although I am very critical, I am highly appreciative of the best work, and if you succeed in pleasing me I shall be a constant advertisement for you."
The answer from Atkin's is: "We guarantee that the gun will conform to our Best standard of pre-war days as we will (fortunately) have our old workman with us."
After some adjustments, Gough Thomas accepted the gun and wrote: "I am particularly pleased with the smoothness of opening ... and the uniformity of the effort required to close it ... there are no hard spots, which is more than one can say of some self-opening ejectors."
Gough Thomas wrote much about Henry Atkin in his articles in the Shooting Times and in his books and he used it as the standard in his comparative analysis of the moments of inertia of balance.'
Some of the books by Gough Thomas:

For a detailed discussion on his definition of "handling" , please check this link.

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?p=37161
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Gough Thomas' Henry Atkin SLE

Post by Kittu » Sun May 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Vikram
thanks for sharing.henry atkin was a emplyee in purdey.many of his guns came stamped as henry atkins from purdey.purdey tried to sew him but turned down as same was used by purdey.purdey also used similler words like purdey from mantons.grumpy can shed more lights
thanks

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Mon May 19, 2014 4:58 pm

What a beauty !

Thanks for sharing Vikram,

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Mon May 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Wow! What a beauty!
So sleek & elegantly engraved - Bound to adorn any collectors rack :D
Thanks for sharing Vikram!
Briha

GarwoodTH
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by GarwoodTH » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:32 am

I noted the interest in Gough Thomas, I am the current owner of Atkins gun made for him in 1948, which is still in excellent condition

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:15 am

Garwood do share pictures great one Vicks

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:29 pm

GarwoodTH wrote:I noted the interest in Gough Thomas, I am the current owner of Atkins gun made for him in 1948, which is still in excellent condition

Wow! You must be a very proud owner. Would it be possible for you to share a couple of photos? I have a couple of his books. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."