John Dickson 16 Bore SXSXS

Posts related to shotguns.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

John Dickson 16 Bore SXSXS

Post by Vikram » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 pm

http://hunting.outdoorzy.com/triple-bar ... for-66000/

...at some point, some rich guy from Scotland was either so good or so bad that he wanted a third shot. So in 1891, this beauty, known as The Holy Grail, came into existence. It was made for a rather wealthy fella named John Adrian Louis Hope, the 1st Marquess of Linlithgow. Anyone with a title that complicated had to have had some cash on hand.

This triple barrel shotgun was made by John Dickson & Son, a famous gun making duo out of Edinburgh, Scotland. It was made so well that it still fires today. But the mechanism that made it work was so complicated that it wasn’t used for mass production.

It’s a 16-gague side-by-side-by-side design and is the definition of a one of a kind piece. When it went up for auction at a London auction house, bids flew in from all over the world. The price to take it home that night was $66,000. That’s $22,000 per barrel. Sheesh.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: John Dickson 16 Bore SXSXS

Post by Safarigent » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:11 pm

So one would traditionally have a 'left and a right' and boast about it later but this here gent would have a 'left,center and right'!!!!
To Excellence through Diligence.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 am

Nice vikkers interetsingly Cabela pamphlet has sxs Dicksons on sale for $1600ish

Cheers

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Safarigent wrote: this here gent would have a 'left,center and right'!!!!
That's a good one,Arjun!
Navi wrote:Nice vikkers interetsingly Cabela pamphlet has sxs Dicksons on sale for $1600ish
Navi, those are Dickinson guns. Made in Turkey. I hear that they are reasonably well made.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun ... son-double

Best-
Vikram

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:31 pm

Made in Turkey. I hear that they are reasonably well made.
Must be....if they give it the same attention they give to their Baklava

:cheers:

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:04 pm

BowMan wrote:
Made in Turkey. I hear that they are reasonably well made.
Must be....if they give it the same attention they give to their Baklava

:cheers:
The Turkish delights come in various grades. Many companies now have manufacturing tie-ups in Turkey, which include Beretta,Benelli, Winchester, Verney-Carron etc. I recently checked a Verney-Carron V12 semi- comes with a 28" regular barrel and a spare slug barrel with fibre optic sights- made in Turkey. Very neatly put together. All yours for a princely sum of Rs.35,000/-.

Best-
Vikram

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:24 pm

The 2nd. Marquess of Linlithgow was Viceroy of India. Don't know his given or Christian name, but then this could have been his father's gun. My presumption is that he would have been a bad shot if he required a third barrel!
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:59 pm

The 3 piece trigger set is the ugliest part i can see in the gun and i really doubt the ring finger pulling the trigger as efficiently as the index and middle.
1 shot 1 kill!

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:28 am

@katana: these guys were serious heavy weights. If this was meant to be used on the field seriously,i'd bet it be in a set of doubles or triplets even. Being a one off, it suggests that it was an one off project rather than a testament to the owners shooting prowess. :)
@Ramandeep: the first two triggers are articulated. You'd only be using one finger to start from the front trigger and finish at the last one.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 am

Ramandeep, with a double trigger gun you use the index finger only NOT two fingers. Same applies to this three trigger gun - and it makes no difference if the front trigger/s is/are articulated or not.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:57 am

Grumpy wrote:Ramandeep, with a double trigger gun you use the index finger only NOT two fingers. Same applies to this three trigger gun - and it makes no difference if the front trigger/s is/are articulated or not.
The chap shoots with two fingers,one on each trigger! Where is that head scratching icon ?

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:53 am

Quite true. Whether or not the triggers are articulated, only one finger is use.

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 am

winnie_the_pooh wrote:
Grumpy wrote:Ramandeep, with a double trigger gun you use the index finger only NOT two fingers. Same applies to this three trigger gun - and it makes no difference if the front trigger/s is/are articulated or not.
The chap shoots with two fingers,one on each trigger! Where is that head scratching icon ?
Both the index finger and the middle finger can be flexed and extended separately. 
And when you first squeeze or pull the trigger, the end of your finger does not move directly back against the trigger. It moves in an arc. 

That happens because of the physical arrangement of the muscles and tendons of the fingers which are put into play when a finger is flexed. 
They flex the middle portion of a finger first. And as the middle knuckle is its fulcrum, the first movement of the end of the finger will be an arc with its center point being, the middle knuckle.
 It is only after the middle portion of the finger has flexed some, that the end of the finger begins to flex more directly back against the trigger. As such, placing the first pad of a finger on the trigger may cause you to miss your shot, and particularly in a rapid fire situation where the possibility of your being able to squeeze the trigger smoothly until each shot breaks will be very questionable. Placing the crease between the first and second pad of the finger on the trigger, or placing the middle pad of the finger on the trigger can reduce the amount of arc that is introduced when the finger is flexed to pull the trigger. And, using the middle finger to pull the trigger, can help with this situation because: 
1. It is longer than the index finger, so it is easier to place the crease between the first and second pads of the middle finger on the trigger, or to place the second pad on the trigger. 
2. The tendon used to flex the middle finger, runs more directly from the front to the back of the hand than the tendon used to flex the index finger. So less torque will be introduced if the middle finger is used to pull the trigger. That can be important with a heavy trigger pull, such as with a double action gun where the trigger finger is used to both cock and fire the gun. 
3. The middle finger also is also stronger than the index finger which helps to make for a smooth and sure pull of the trigger even with considerable resistance.
 4. Using the middle finger to pull the trigger, allows for direct communication with the nerves that control the flexing or bending of the fingers. That is not true when the index finger is used to pull the trigger. 
And here is why that is so.

There are two nerves (Median and Ulnar), that control the flexing or bending of the fingers. Each one controls only half of the hand. One supplies the thumb side of the hand, and the other supplies the little finger side of the hand. As the middle finger is in the middle of the hand, one side of it is supplied by "thumb side" nerve, and the other side is supplied by the "little finger side" nerve. So when the middle finger is used to pull the trigger, it is in direct communication with both nerves. Also, the extension of the first two pads of the fingers, is also controlled by those two nerves. This is an exception to their main function of controlling flexing or bending actions. The result is that both the extension and bending of the first two pads of the fingers, are controlled by those two nerves. These muscle and nerve arrangements, dovetail perfectly with point and shooting. Using the middle finger to pull the trigger is mechanically and physiologically superior to using the index finger. Also extending the index finger along the frame for fast, natural, and accurate aiming via pointing, helps to lock up the wrist and maintain the symmetry and integrity of the grip. Using the middle finger to pull the trigger is well known to Paintballers. The trigger guards and triggers on some guns are designed so that either or both the index finger and middle finger can be placed on the trigger and used to shoot.

Raman
1 shot 1 kill!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:48 am

I was going to write a major dissertation on the function and action of the proximal and distal IP joints, the metacarpophalangeal joints and the radial, median and ulnar nerves but have realised that such a discussion is totally irrelevant. The index finger provides the greatest control and the best fine control and should be used as the trigger finger. To use the middle finger is poor practice. Using two fingers on a double trigger gun is also poor practice. That you appear to advocate both just indicates to me that you don`t shoot and don`t know what you`re talking about. What paintballers get up to is of no concern to me because I`m talking about real guns - not paintball junk.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Grumpy wrote:I was going to write a major dissertation ........but have realised that such a discussion is totally irrelevant. The index finger provides the greatest control and the best fine control and should be used as the trigger finger. To use the middle finger is poor practice. Using two fingers on a double trigger gun is also poor practice. That you appear to advocate both just indicates to me that you don`t shoot and don`t know what you`re talking about. What paintballers get up to is of no concern to me because I`m talking about real guns - not paintball junk.

I am glad that you have done foreclosure of the major dissertation on the topic as we are not here for a discourse on electromyography neither this is medical bulletin. Firstly I would like to mention that I totally agree that index finger gives more control definitely neither i use my middle finger for the job. What I intended by the write up proposing the use of two fingers on the double trigger(which according to you is a poor practice) is a supporting theory. When these modern shotguns came up by the turn of the last century the only shooting sport was hunting and i guess in hunting the response time and unpredictability are the two dominant aspects one had to keep in mind. It's just a matter how you can train your body part for your optimum results for example there many sports person who are physically fit and active but can't do 180 degree split so the muscle needs to be trained to master that skill.

Whether I do shooting or not or don't know what I am talking about(either this or that) it's a commotion I would rather leave for yourself.
1 shot 1 kill!