BB shot for defense?

Posts related to shotguns.
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

BB shot for defense?

Post by Skyman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:05 pm

How effective is BB shot for defense? I was looking at the OFB website and saw they make this and 9 only.And BB is the bigger one.

How does it compare to the Buckshot usually used abroad?

Also is BBB shot ammo sold here? I know stuff over 5mm dia is banned.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: BB shot for defense?

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Depends on what range you`re talking about. If you`re within the confines of a house so that maximum range is going to be just a few metres then BB shot will be devastating as the `pattern` will be only a few centimetres in diameter. That pretty much applies to any shot size really. I`ve seen photographs of people with shotgun injuries sustained at short range where the plastic shot cup has penetrated the flesh. Within close confines the spread of shot loads is pretty much irrelevant so a shotgun has to be aimed just like a rifle or handgun does - the amount of choke is pretty well irrelevant also.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:38 pm

I don`t know if you`ve ever heard of the Tony Martin case - the general details are irrelevant any way - when a householder shot three times at two burglers across a room ..... 4 or 5 metres probably. Both men were hit in the legs and one was also hit in the back and killed. The gun was loaded with `birdshot` which would suggest shot size no larger than number 5.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Not to forget the outdoors and crop protection.How does BB shot work at say 10-25 meters?

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Skyman wrote:Not to forget the outdoors and crop protection.How does BB shot work at say 10-25 meters?
Work on what? It will certainly have enough penetration to reach vital organs. How much damage it will do depends on the location of the hit(s). We had a case a few years ago where a fellow shot a moose with #5 shot, "protecting" his hay, and within two days the moose died, shot having penetrated the intestine. A slow and miserable way to die.
As always, it is the location of the hit that counts, given adequate penetration. Children have been killed accidentally with low powered air rifles.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Human intruders.So you say BB shot is sufficient if it hits the vital organs..? What will the spread likely be at 10-25 meters?

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Generally speaking, the pattern spread at any given distance will be approximately the same whatever the shot size providing the same choke is used :
Cylinder choke will give an approximate 40 inch diameter pattern spread at 25 yards ( 1 metre @ 22.86 metres. )
Improved choke 40 inch pattern @ 30 yards.( 1 metre @ 27.43 metres )
Modified choke 40 inch pattern @ 35 yards. ( 1 metre @ 32 metres )
Full choke 40 inch pattern @ 40 yards. ( 1 metre @ 36.576 metres )
There are around 56 BB pellets in a 1 1/8 oz ( 32 gm ) load.
Damned if I`d stand in front of a shotgun loaded with BBs at 36.5 metres. At that range you might not kill someone but severe injury is likely.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 pm

At extreme close range you wouldn`t have to hit a vital organ to cause death - the physical and hydrostatic shock will cause death. Here`s a pretty grotesque photograph of a fatal injury caused by BIRD SHOT at close range ( Link only - I`m not going to post the actual picture. ) :
http://www.realmagick.com/stopping-powe ... tic-shock/
( Terry Pratchett )

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 pm

56 pellets distributed over a meter stuck in my gut? I would haul ass also.Thanks for the info.

Do you predict a similar effectiveness of no 9 shot in the confines of home as well as the 10-25m range?

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:38 pm

At very short range No 9 shot would be effective but not at 25 metres - the shot size is so small that the retained energy per pellet at 25 yards and spread over whatever diameter pattern would be very low. No 9 shot is only for small birds ..... and Skeet.
The smallest shot size I use is UK 7 shot for wood pigeons ..... No 6 or 6 1/2 if they`re shy and I have to take longer shots.
By the way, which measurement system is used in India ? UK BB shot is US No.1 - 4.09 mm. US BB is UK A - 4.5 mm.
( Terry Pratchett )

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:04 am

Here is an image that shows the relationship between the shot sizes for birdshot (top), Steel shot (middle) and Buckshot (bottom row).

image from HERE

As Grumpy says; for the most part, your choke and pellet size will determine the pattern your shotgun shoots. However, one must keep in mind that with some of the new wads available today, some incredibly tight patterns can be maintained.
For example, some of the Hornady buckshot (with the Versatite wad and the Federal with the Flitecontrol wad) shot incredibly tight patterns out of a extended Turkey choke in a 28"barreled 870. At 20 yards, I had 8" to 10" patterns with Federal Critical Defense "OO" loads.
As I stated in my Mossberg SA-20 review, using standard 20 gauge #3 buckshot, I got 10" patterns out of a smooth bore I.C choked barrel (but that was at 12 yards). Here there was no fancy wad used and these patterns would be typical.

As far as using small pellets (birdshot - #7 1/2 and #8), I found that at really close range, It would go through a wooden pallet, completely breaking both planks. At 25 yards, it wouldn't even penetrate one of the pine boards with most of the pellets bouncing off the board.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:46 am

BB is 4.5 mm here.Thanks.

Will slugs be more effective for defense? I don't know what kind of slugs you get here.

surajshuresh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by surajshuresh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:40 pm

At Xl_Target thanks for the information on shots...I was actually looking for size names of the shots...