Rigby Crecent- Real or Fake?

Posts related to shotguns.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Rigby Crecent- Real or Fake?

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:29 pm

I expect that there were Belgian guns with dipped plate sidelocks - most early English hammerless sidelocks had dipped plates although rather different than the Rigby style. The Spanish didn`t have much of an export trade in shotguns prior to WWII.
By the way, Rigby shotguns of the 1970s/1980s ( when they were owned by David Marx ) were built by Pedro Arrizabalaga in Spain.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

For Advertising mail webmaster
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks Grumpy.

I think many English gunmakers are going the Spanish route to cut costs. Even the current William Evans has a model made by Grulla.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:06 pm

There are plenty of guns carrying English gunmakers names that are actually made in Italy, Spain or Turkey. Spain loses out to Italy because of the lack of good quality O/Us at a reasonable price - there is only the Kemen.
Back in the `70s and `80s however it was very unusual.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Just one look at the firing pins should be enough to convince anyone that this gun originally was a five-dollar special.
But, there's one born every minute, and one of them obviously had $5,900 he did not know what better do do with. Sad in a way, hilariuos in another.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 pm

lol. Yup, a couple of chopped-off four inch nails masquerading as strikers.
( Terry Pratchett )

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 pm

I agree with our respected senior member tworivers as he can tell just seeing firing pins its a fake.As one of our senior fellow pointed that it can be forged in india and exported.It can be a realty.peoples who knows about firearms imported to india and in what shape.Matter of of fact he also knew indians love engravings thanks

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:02 pm

In my understanding the gun is gutted with cheap/fake parts but some parts of the gun looks genuine. Some one find a cheap solution to an expensive problem - Hard to Say unless some one got their hands on the gun.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:11 pm

What a lovely gun... I would buy it for 59 dollars... who added those zeros !! ROTFL

Good observation Bowman... Kudos.

Was never into shotguns but can still say the stock and forepart are far from anything I have seen on any firearm with a pedigree. The color case hardened frame scared me. No point commenting on the markings.

TC

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 pm

Hammerhead, the gun has not had fake parts fitted but has had a load of fake stamps applied.
The case hardening colours are not remarkable and are typical of several US manufacturers in the late 19th century/earlier 20th century. British guns tended/tend towards more even colour coverage, primarily dark blue surrounded by brown/beige.
Doug Turnbull used to offer colour case hardening in various styles/colours to suit the gun being built/restored as appropriate.
( Terry Pratchett )

Bespoke
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bespoke » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:40 am

I'll second Grumpy. I visited Liege school of gunsmithing and saw similar shotguns with dipped edge lockplates.The Arrizabalaga guns made for Rigby were marked and proofed in spain.This gun is absolutely Grotesque.

Best,
Bespoke
“Bravery is believing in yourself, and that thing nobody can teach you.”