Remington Model no.9 Rider. Few Questions.

Posts related to shotguns.
Ashutosh_r
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Remington Model no.9 Rider. Few Questions.

Post by Ashutosh_r » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 pm

Greetings to all IFG members! This is my first post. I own a hand-me-down Remington Model No.9 'Rider' single barrel 12 gauge shotgun. As per its serial number, it was manufactured in 1894. It is in a perfectly working condition; I have fired it many times in the past. I have a couple of questions for the experts here.
1. What would be the market value of this gun
2. I've fired standard 65mm shots with this gun. Is there any reliable way of determining if this gun can fire 70mm shots (like KF Astram)?

Many thanks in advance!
- Ashutosh

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Remington Model no.9 Rider. Few Questions.

Post by Vikram » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:52 pm

Ashutosh_r,

Welcome to IFG. The chamber length must be stamped somewhere on the gun. It would be in inches though.

65mm= 2 1/2" & 70mm= 2 3/4". Do check and let us know.

Clear photos of the gun with all the markings would help.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 am

The Model 9 wasn`t introduced until 1902.
If it dates to 1894 it must be a Model 3.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:50 am

The Model 3 and the Model 9 are the same except that the Model 3 has a push button fore-end release at the front, while the fore-end of the Model 9 is held by a screw.
I would not fire anything but 2 3/4" (correction, should be 2 1/2) shot shells in it and even then I would keep it to light loads.
They are not very collectible, with one in really good shape gouing for about $150 to $250.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Ashutosh_r
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ashutosh_r » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Vikram - Even I was expecting to see the chamber length stamped on the gun somewhere, but it isn't. Certainly there must be other ways of determining the correct chamber length. This ammo dealer I know is encouraging me to try firing a 70mm shot. He says if it fits in the chamber, it's okay (and it does fit), but then trying out doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Grumpy - Mine is very much a Model 9. 30-inch barrel, top-lever break-open, screw release fore-end. A bit of search on the Internet tells me you're right. Thanks!

xl_target - Surely you meant you won't fire anything but 2 1/2" shot shells in it. Right?

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Sorry, You are correct.
I mistyped
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Ashutosh,

A shotgun chambered for 65mm cartridge can chamber a 70mm cartridge.You would notice that a fired 65mm cartridge would be almost the same length as an unfired 70mm cartridge. However firing a 70mm cartridge in a 65mm chamber is a big no no.You may end up destroying the shotgun and injuring yourself.

As far as value goes,about 7-10,000/- depending upon where you are.

Ashutosh_r
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Ashutosh_r » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:32 am

winnie - Thanks for the insight. I wasn't keen on experimenting anyway. I think I'll stick to the 65mm carts until I reliably know the correct chamber length.

lakshmipathiv
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by lakshmipathiv » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:43 am

remington was good weppon,but the market price of the gun depends up on the condition of the gun,
regards lakshmi pathi