Posts related to shotguns.
pelle
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

W.J.Jeffery

Post by pelle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm

DSC_0134.JPG
Gentlemen
Boxlock ejector by this maker.Rather heavy,3,2 kg,30" tubes with 21\2" chambers.Looks like a Webley action.Case looks original.Could it be buildt as a pidgeon gun,hence the weight?When did Jeffery operate from this adress? One picture also shows a Husqvarna sidelock buildt in 1915....
Regards from Norway
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: W.J.Jeffery

Post by Grumpy » Wed May 01, 2013 1:45 am

W.J.Jeffery closed the King St premises in 1914 at the outbreak of WWI and moved to a smaller shop at Bury St. They closed the Queen Victoria Street premises in 1921 and moved to Golden Square in 1927. My guess would be that the gun was made between 1918 and 1927. Is there an address on the rib and does it correspond with the trade label because trade labels are often replaced ?
Yes, could be a Webley action .... could be a lot of things. Definitely made in Birmingham because to my knowledge W.J.Jeffery didn`t build any shotguns themselves.
William Jackman Jeffery died in 1909 and was succeeded by his brother Charles Jeffery who died in 1920 and was succeeded by a nephew, F.Jeffery Pierce.
I`d like to see some closer photographs of the Husky ..... including any and all marks.
Last edited by Grumpy on Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed May 01, 2013 3:09 am

I`ve been checking through my notes and cannot find any mention anywhere of Scott/Webley & Scott supplying guns to W.J.Jeffery .... You can take it as pretty well guaranteed that Webley & Scott did NOT build your Jeffery. It`s known that John Saunders made a good many of Jeffery`s sidelocks but the boxlocks were supplied and/or finished by a good many Birmingham trade makers. Some were also sourced from Belgium. I supplied what is almost certainly a John Saunders built W.J.Jefferys 12-bore sidelock ejector to a friend in the USA - a pretty gun.
W.J.Jeffery himself approved of the Belgian made guns ..... because they were 30% less expensive than the Birmingham equivalent.
Jeffery did have a London workshop at Rose and Crown Yard but between 1898 and 1914 only. I`ve no idea what went on in there ..... some assembly maybe. Perhaps they had stockers working there fitting stocks.
Most of the double rifles were built by Harry Leonard in Birmingham.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed May 01, 2013 4:17 am

3.2 kg 7lbs 1/2oz ) is a normal weight for a game gun.
Definitely not a live pigeon gun. A live pigeon gun is a Trap gun and this has none of the attributes of a Trap gun.
I really want to hear about the Husky - is it an ejector ? Is it engraved ( can`t tell from the photograph. ) It looks like an original 301 Lyx I once sold except that I can`t see any drop points on your gun. That was a very nice gun.
( Terry Pratchett )

pelle
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pelle » Wed May 01, 2013 12:41 pm

H1.JPG
H4.JPG
H3.JPG
Grumpy
Thanks for all information,it helps me a lot.Weight of the gun...well I am a little spoiled I guess,used to have 12 bores around 2,9-3,0 kg.Anyway,it`s a nice,clean gun with a well known name,and a London address.It has the same address on the rib,as on the label.

The Husky is a model 201.Sauer&Sohn sidelock,Husqvarna started out their hammerless production with the sidelock mod 60.Then came the mod 200,and again 201 wich difference is the barrel steel.The 301(lux) was the top-of-the line sidelock,and very rare.All their sidelocks were Sauer production,an is even to be found in their(Sauer) books.

This 201 on the picture belongs to a friend of mine in Sweeden,and is actually for sale.It is special in many ways.The only one we have seen with ejector.In Husqvarnas price list this would rise the price with almost 50% !!! The woodwork is some of the best I`ve ever seen.Must have been a special order,and a very expensive one in 1915.See the pctures,a beautiful gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed May 01, 2013 8:47 pm

You are a very lucky man,Pelle! You so frequently come-up with all these nice guns.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 pm

2.9kg is 6lb 6 oz which would make a gun a lightweight. I like true lightweights - 6lb 4oz and below.
Very pretty gun for a 201 ..... they`re both pretty guns for 201s !
The 301 lux I had had similar wood to your 201 .... maybe a little better. Dense scroll engraving with something else incorporated - can`t remember what .... it wasn`t roses. That had drop points and was an ejector. I bought that for about £500 because it was a very nice SLE for very little money ..... and then had a heck of a job trying to sell it - nobody wanted a Swedish shotgun. I put it into auction eventually where it made a little more than I paid for it ..... enough to cover commission and other charges but not much more.
The 301 lux was reissued in the 1970s if I remember correctly.
( Terry Pratchett )

pelle
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pelle » Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 pm

DSC_0563.JPG
DSC_0562.JPG
It`s a shame that the Huskys are so neglected.You can find some very nice guns among them.The funny thing about them is that one can be very clumsy,and another same model can be a pearl in balance.It depense on who actually made the gun,some of their craftsmen had that spesial touch.

When it comes to the Jeffery again,seems it dates to 1925,according to Nigel Browns book.It has a hidden Greenerbolt,maybe you can see it from the pictures.The tubes are perfect,and the gun locks up tight.What could the value be ???? I am not selling it,but I know what I paid :)

Vikram...Old guns is my drug.I spend all my time ,and money on the subject.It`s a disease....no cure found so far,I bet you know how it is... :x
Regards from Norway

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed May 01, 2013 10:33 pm

A third bite.
Value ? Depends on who`s selling it - theres a nice one currently available for £795 and a very clean one for £4800 ( no comment re that. ) Check guntrader.co.uk and gunstar.co.uk for similar guns
( Terry Pratchett )

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu May 02, 2013 12:41 am

[quote="pelle"Vikram...Old guns is my drug.I spend all my time ,and money on the subject.It`s a disease....no cure found so far,I bet you know how it is... :x
Regards from Norway[/quote]

I understand that feeling.You are lucky that you have the opportunity to indulge in your passion. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon May 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Lucky you.