1953 SIMSON, SUHL (THURNGEN) Doube barrel 12B - NOT FOR SALE

Posts related to shotguns.
ckalli84
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: 1953 SIMSON, SUHL (THURNGEN) Doube barrel 12B - NOT FOR

Post by ckalli84 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:56 pm

xl_target wrote:Beautifull gun.
Being your father's gun, I'm sure it means more to you than just the monetary value.
yes, definitely!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:00 pm

It seems to be the same as my father"s. I wish it would have been in better shape though. The colour case hardening seems to have worn off and the gun opened a couple of times.

I was also wondering if your gun came with a box? We have plenty of boxes at home but the guns have all gone. Could never figure out which one was which. Been thinking of restoring a nice canvas covered box for our gun. Would appreciate if you have any leads on that.

BTW, I noticed in the pics that the indicators were out. Best to get yourself a pair of snap caps and dry fire them to relieve the springs.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 pm

This is not a gun.....

Its a treasure :D

TC

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:08 am

TC wrote:This is not a gun.....

Its a treasure :D

TC
:agree: keep this heirloom its priceless better than all those Churchills etc

ckalli84
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ckalli84 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Katana wrote:It seems to be the same as my father"s. I wish it would have been in better shape though. The colour case hardening seems to have worn off and the gun opened a couple of times.

I was also wondering if your gun came with a box? We have plenty of boxes at home but the guns have all gone. Could never figure out which one was which. Been thinking of restoring a nice canvas covered box for our gun. Would appreciate if you have any leads on that.

BTW, I noticed in the pics that the indicators were out. Best to get yourself a pair of snap caps and dry fire them to relieve the springs.

i have a box, i will try to post a picture of it, it doesnt look very fancy, just a plain black box, with red lining inside.

ok now to air out my ignorance:

1. whats an indicator?
2. whats a snap cap?
3. where are the springs in this gun?
4. with answers to the above, i hope i can figure out what dry fire means. :-)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:34 am

1. Indicator pins are the small pins behind the standing breech, either on top or side of the action, which protrude when the gun is cocked.
2. Snap cap. An "inert cartridge" without charge and a spring-loaded "primer" of a softer material that cushions the firing pin, allowing the gun to be dry fired without damage to the firing pins.
3. The springs are inside the action body. Don't try to find them!
4. Dry fire. Pulling the triggers on a cocked gun without a cartridge in the chamber.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:21 am

TwoRivers wrote:1. Indicator pins are the small pins behind the standing breech, either on top or side of the action, which protrude when the gun is cocked.

Photo from here

2. Snap cap. An "inert cartridge" without charge and a spring-loaded "primer" of a softer material that cushions the firing pin, allowing the gun to be dry fired without damage to the firing pins.

3. The springs are inside the action body. Don't try to find them!
:mrgreen:
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 am

Or in the absence of snap caps you can break down the shotgun and decock it by holding an object against the breech face and firing it.The correct way would be to have a striker block,else use a thick notebook preferably with cardboard binding or a block of soft wood(not hardwood).Dry firing will eventually lead to some grief down the road.

Leaving it cocked will eventually lead to loss of spring compression and miss fires due to light strikes on the primer.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:06 am

A lot of guns won`t breakdown if they`re cocked Winnie but your point is well made. Dry firing without snap caps will break the strikers sooner or later ..... and leaving a gun cocked will do for the springs.
Make a man a fire and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
( Terry Pratchett )

Katana
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Katana » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:04 pm

CK,

All these guys have said just about everything you have asked. If you still have any more doubts about the gun, please don't hesitate to ask.

The pin indicators are wonderful in this gun. One does have to look at them while out with it. Just a 'feel' of them with your finger tips tells you which barrel is ready to fire.

Waiting for the pics of the box now. Maybe that would give me an idea for what work I would need to do.
Justice alone is the mainstay of government and the source of prosperity to the governed, injustice is the most pernicious of things; it saps the foundations of the government and brings ruin upon the realm - Sher Shah Sur, Sultan-ul-Adil.