Can remington 870 express combo shotgun registered .

Posts related to shotguns.
vikramvirk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Can remington 870 express combo shotgun registered .

Post by vikramvirk » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am

Hi,

I live in U.s and i am thinking of availing TR facility to bring a firearm with me in INDIA.. as i already have a license in INDIA.. and a shot gun can be added to the licence .. i am thinking of a bringing a Remington 870 express combo which comes with a set of two barrels .. one is rifled for slugs and the other with chokes for BB cartridges.. . or WINCHESTER sxp with two barrels .. one of them 18 inch and the other 26 inches with chokes... but i wonder.... how the licensing authorities will register... will they consider it as asingle weapon or since it has two interchangeable barrels will consider it has two weapons.. and will customs be ok with such kind of weapon... please advise...

For Advertising mail webmaster
rcdoma
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Can remington 870 express combo shotgun registered .

Post by rcdoma » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:14 am

Yes. It is considered a single weapon with multiple barrels. Your shotgun barrels have to be at least 20 inches in length to be NP.

I am not sure if rifled shotgun barrels are allowed, maybe other members can clarify about this.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:01 pm

ask goodboy_mentor,he knows best.
regards
dr.jk

3006rifle
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by 3006rifle » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 pm

The 26" barrel is ok but as per the Indian Arms Act barrel length must be minimum 20" for shotguns.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 pm

1. Yes combination guns with multiple barrels are endorsed on arms licenses in India. If you have NPB license, ensure that the barrels of shotgun are not less than twenty inches long.

2. Though the rifled barrel of shotgun should not normally create a problem because the overall platform is shotgun and it cannot fire the rifle cartridges. But nobody knows the whimsical character of the babus. Thus to be on safe side ensure that your license says "NPB shotgun/rifle".

3. You should have some document that proves the firearm in question for TR was in your possession/ownership for at least one year.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Vikramvirk,

You can import it PROVIDED the firearm is sold with the additional barrel/s as a set by the manufacturer.When import was allowed,some Mossberg pump action shotguns were brought in with an additional rifled barrel.Min. barrel length for a shotgun is 20".

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 pm

I know you have your reasons for choosing this model.

My preference would be something like this:

The Marocchi FiinClassic 512. It's an O/U that can take shotgun barrels, rifle barrels and combination barrels. Get a 12+.30-06+any other small or large bore calibre and you have an almost global gun combination.

http://www.marocchiarms.com/index.php?m ... duct_id=15

http://www.marocchiarms.com/datatable.p ... product=15

It is not as expensive when you factor in what you get for it. A member here has it and I have seen it.A very well built
gun.IMHO.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 am

I think they will be registered as two separate guns a rifle and shotty - check IFG I thought some one else clarified it. Issue being what if some one checks a lic and you are carrying the rifle combo while its registered as shotty?

I agree with Vikrams suggestion for buying shotgun with interchangeable rifle barrels..I think you can check Baikal in Canada they might have something similar...

Good luck but I would try to reach out to officials in India too -- also this process starts quite early so complete the paper work accordingly other wise you could end up donating your gun too Customs for auction to politicians..

BTW 870 remington too is a great gun

Best

vikramvirk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by vikramvirk » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:25 am

Hello IFG,

thanx for your valuable responses .. indeed everybody of this forum is somewhat educated in arms .. has a suggestion.. and i wellcome them.. regarding the manufacturers combination of barrels .. winchester sxp field and camp combo comes with a 18 inch flat bore barrel and 26 inch flat bore barrel with chokes .. i talked to winchester ..and they told me that at this time additional barrels are not manufactured..so gun having 18 inch barrel is inapplicable in indian context.. left with the choice of remington 870 combo.. but really i think remington is too common since it has been since sixty years .and btw the rifled barrel of both guns are also .12 guage and as far i know on indian license it will be endorsed as .12 bore shot gun.... but seriously after going through the all the reviews my eyes are on winchester sxp a latest shotgun... though americans do not like it since these are being manufactured in turkey... and remingtons are made in u.s... so customers in america are bit patriotic in buying... take the example of FORD... it is still no 1 in automobiles in u.s.. because american customer stands behind them.. but unfortunately we in INDIA cannot stand behind our IOF products...in my life i had never came across a ugly pistol and revolver and .315 rifle made by IOF ......... and i do have a CZ 712 (czeck) semiauto 9 shot shotgun in u.s which was made in turkey... and she is flawless... a beauty...... absolutely no recoil since it is gas operated ... based on AK 47 technonolgy... anyway i am waiting for winchester to come up with manufacture of extra barrels, so that i can be gifted on my marriage anniversary a winchester sxp black shadow with extra rifled barrel (the fastest pump action shotgun in the world)....2 shots in 1/2 second, . .. more stylist sexy like sunny leone..

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 am

vikramvirk,

You can do worse than what Vikram has suggested.As far as getting something like the FinnClassic endorsed,it will be entered as one firearm.

If Renowned Shots can bring in receivers,barrels,triggers and sights as spare parts, infact everything that would enable them to assemble 1or 2 complete rifles over and above the ONE rifle that they are allowed to import and have it endorsed on their license,I see no reason for you to face any trouble.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi vikramvirk,
My humble two paisa worth would be to eschew the more fancy/rarer in india guns as it will be difficult for you to get them serviced/repaired unless you are willing to take them outside the country.
See, you cant hunt in india. So, looking at it from a practical point of view, import a nice beretta/perazzi with sporting and trap barrels. You are covered for skeet, trap and any bird shooting you might want to do outside the country on hunting trips. Plus, you will find spare parts and repair facilities here.
And you can go as fancy as you want with those marquees too.
Cheers
To Excellence through Diligence.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 am

vikramvirk wrote:.. and i do have a CZ 712 (czeck) semiauto 9 shot shotgun in u.s which was made in turkey... and she is flawless... a beauty...... absolutely no recoil since it is gas operated ... based on AK 47 technonolgy...
Umm, No!
It is a standard "floating piston" type of gas operated shotgun.
Apart from the fact that the AK uses gas to cycle the action, there are no similarities.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941