Old Debate

Posts related to shotguns.
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Old Debate

Post by The Doc » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:15 am

Guys,

I know I might be starting a war here but shall we take some time to comment upon which shotguns are the best ?? British, Italian, US or German???

Regards,

RP.

For Advertising mail webmaster
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Old Debate

Post by art_collector » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:50 am

...why forget INDIAN....

AC

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 am

...why I said Indian was it wud be a gud idea to check the Indian guns too and then decide which ones we found better. To say the least most people don"t actually buy an imported gun ... may be a different thread needs to be started...atleast people buying Indian guns wud get some correct information grade wise which is better and why and who better than us cud give this information..... actual users comment have more weight than a dealers fairy tale... and a lot of users to the forum wud actually feel obliged.

AC

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:17 am

AC,

Good suggestion but start another thread for Indian guns. Infact, it already exists.

Mack The Knife

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:33 am

hi,

which shotgun is the best, well any shotgun you own is better than the one you dont, and any shotgun you get for free (or almost free) is better than the one better than the one you have to pay for :)

other than that its a matter of personal choice, and anyway since i have only used/fired 6 different shotguns in my entire life and that too from only three countries - india, italy, england - i could not comment abount the hundreads of other brands being made all over the world.

as for indian shotguns i think we could post reviews of guns we have used and that could be turned in a KB.

i have owned two indian made shotguns in that past. One was from munger, bihar - it was MGM brand - it was a decent shotgun, nothing special, i have nothing very good or bad to say about this, but would not recommend it for buying coz at similar price better stuff is available

the other gun indian guns i had for a khurmi (J.K) it was a very good gun, in fact was of much better quality than most of indian brands. i had for about one years and it functioned very well, it even had ejectors and they never gave any problems.

:)

rajat

cooldude
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cooldude » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:27 pm

Well. It has always been the tradition for a long time and has been tested over time and again by experts that the best Shotguns for hunting have always been English and the ones for Competition shooting have always been Italian.

Cheers.

Arindam.
The day guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:13 pm

The best overall are English guns, although Spanish, Belgian, Italian, French and German guns are also good.

For competition shooting Italian, namely Berreta and Perrazi followed by Belgian guns.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:13 pm

By belgian read BROWNING

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:15 pm

And BROWNING is made in Europe, America, Canada and Australia, perhaps South Africa as well. It would classify as the maker, not country of origin really.

A Holland will always remain a Holland.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:23 pm

Shahid bhai, I think most Brownings are now made in Japan (Miroku). I think they do have some runs still in Europe (Belgium) I think I have something that states this in the latest Browning catalog I have.

I think the Krieghoff (German) is a good versatile gun too. I know American Trap shooters who've shot more than 150k rounds thru them and from what little I know, the locking mechanism wears "in". More barrels of diff gauges and calibers can be fit more easily for the same reason. Maybe one day I'll have one K80 with all gauge barrels fitted, my 682 is working well so far ;)

The American made Winchester Model 21 gets high marks in most books too.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 pm

Yes Brownings are made in Japan as well. Today many trap shooters use American pump or automatic guns. It is a matter of individual choice, but in rest of the world barring USA, for any king of competitive Clay shooting, O/U would be the most common and that too 12 bore followed by 20.

In my club in DUbai we have three BROWNING 28 Bore O/U as well. I tried my hand at it one day with HULL no. 7 1/2 cartridges. My score was zero birds hit with about 10 shots. After being used to 12 bore and 20 it is very difficult to connect with this. Never tried it after that. Mostly here it is used by ladies and kids to train.

Where would our Mugeris rank in all this ?