Stick Gun - Belgium made .410

Posts related to shotguns.
hrathod
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Stick Gun - Belgium made .410

Post by hrathod » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Dear All,

Currently i possess a revolver (Webley & Scott .32), a walking stick gun (belgium made .410) and a rifle. My great grandfather got the stick gun as gift from erstwhile prince of Devgadh Baria state.

I think .410 bore is PB in india. I need more information (year of manufacture, maker name etc) on my stick gun as i am unable to identify maker's brand on it. Also if the gurus of forum can tell me the market price i can get if i want to sell it. Local dealer told me that its not worth at all as .410 is prohibited.

The last time i fired from stick gun was in 2003. It works well at that time and since then i havn't checked.

All of yours commets will be appreciated . . . . .

For Advertising mail webmaster
Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Please post a few pictures of the gun...

hrathod
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by hrathod » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Very soon

Timnorris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Walking Stick Gun - Belgium made .410

Post by Timnorris » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:15 pm

.410 is the smallest shotgun gauge, it is actually 65 gauge..................I dont see why a shotgun gauge is prohibited............. you may well keep it as an antique

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:09 pm

The Britishers during The Raj converted quite a few SMLEs into single shot 410 and issued them to the police force for riot control. The fired shells fell into the magazine box after extraction. They called these rifles 410 Muskets and were PB then. As for now, the Babus may have an explanation why its still a PB.
Marksman.
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:29 pm

The .410 musket is a prohibited calibre for the exact reasons mentioned by Marksman. However, the .410 musket uses a full brass case which is nothing but a fire formed (straight wall) .303 case. AFAIK this ammunition will not chamber in a shotgun which is chambered in .410 gauge which would make the .410 musket a PB BUT the .410 gauge a NPB calibre.

However, I believe stick guns are only issued on PB licenses... something to do with the fact that they are concealed as an everyday object, though am not 100% sure on this.

Incidentally my maternal uncle also has a .410 gauge stick gun which has been languishing in the malkhana ever since my maternal grandfather passed away. It would seem that these (.410 gauge stick guns) must have been pretty common at one time...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:10 pm

They do shoot clay birds with 410 as well. I am not sure if it is a sporting clay event or the normal trap/skeet. It would be pretty difficult to shoot clay birds with a 410, that at least I am sure of. My experience of shooting this 410 shell is shooting a Marble Game Getter to collect birds for the museum that still exists in St. Xavier's School in Mumbai.
Carrying a shooting stick used to be some what a status symbol in the British Raj, I guess. In late 60s, I saw a few very beautiful stick guns with very intricate breach loading mechanism lying with some affluent people. I am sure they were illegally possessed as an antique. Most are dead and gone. Wonder what happened to the sticks.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Walking Stick Gun - Belgium made .410

Post by TwoRivers » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:24 pm

The .410 is used in small bore skeet events, but never in trap, which is strictly a 12 gauge sport.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re:

Post by mundaire » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 pm

mundaire wrote:The .410 musket is a prohibited calibre for the exact reasons mentioned by Marksman. However, the .410 musket uses a full brass case which is nothing but a fire formed (straight wall) .303 case. AFAIK this ammunition will not chamber in a shotgun which is chambered in .410 gauge which would make the .410 musket a PB BUT the .410 gauge a NPB calibre.

However, I believe stick guns are only issued on PB licenses... something to do with the fact that they are concealed as an everyday object, though am not 100% sure on this.

Incidentally my maternal uncle also has a .410 gauge stick gun which has been languishing in the malkhana ever since my maternal grandfather passed away. It would seem that these (.410 gauge stick guns) must have been pretty common at one time...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
An update to my earlier post on this topic, I had erroneously suggested that the fact that the stick gun is concealed as an everyday object could be the reason for it being issued on a PB license. This is not true and there is no such restriction contained within the Arms Act (thank you Penpusher for pointing out my mistake).

Also it would seem that a gun chambered for .410 bore shotshells will indeed chamber (& fire) .410 musket ammunition, therefore the reason for PB classification is quite simply due to the fact that this gun is able to fire service ammunition.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

hb
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Stick Gun - Belgium made .410

Post by hb » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:27 pm

What price can a stick gun fetch

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:13 pm

Depends on condition. Actually all the stick guns are antique now. Most of the calibre also hard to find in India at present. I had a luck to see one of the stick guns years back with one of the landlord family in Rajasthan.
They were also in a perception that the gun may fetch lakhs of rupees but in practical situation they were not able to get a buyer and finally they sale it to some dealer in Delhi.
Regards

Shivaji

hb
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by hb » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:15 pm

What are the price of a stick gun . 410 bore. If anyone has any experience

Deepraj patil1616
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Deepraj patil1616 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:17 pm

hrathod wrote:
Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:58 pm
Dear All,

Currently i possess a revolver (Webley & Scott .32), a walking stick gun (belgium made .410) and a rifle. My great grandfather got the stick gun as gift from erstwhile prince of Devgadh Baria state.

I think .410 bore is PB in india. I need more information (year of manufacture, maker name etc) on my stick gun as i am unable to identify maker's brand on it. Also if the gurus of forum can tell me the market price i can get if i want to sell it. Local dealer told me that its not worth at all as .410 is prohibited.

The last time i fired from stick gun was in 2003. It works well at that time and since then i havn't checked.

All of yours commets will be appreciated . . . . .
From where you are.