Moose hit

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Moose hit

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:08 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="9777 wrote: Thanks, Inder. Any idea how one identifies a deer with CWD?

Cases of CWD occur most commonly in adult animals, but also in yearlings. The disease is progressive and always fatal.

The most obvious and consistent clinical sign is weight loss over time. CWD affected animals continue to eat but amounts of feed consumed are reduced, leading to gradual loss of body condition. Excessive drinking and urination are common in the terminal stages.

Behavioral changes also occur in the majority of cases, including decreased interactions with other animals, listlessness, lowering of the head, blank facial expression and repetitive walking in set patterns. In elk, behavioral changes may also include hyper-excitability and nervousness. Excessive salivation, drooling and grinding of the teeth also are observed.

Clinical signs of CWD alone are not conclusive. There are other maladies that have symptoms that mimic those of CWD. Currently, the only conclusive diagnosis involves an examination of the brain, tonsils or lymph nodes performed after death.

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks, Inder.

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:59 am

I think there will be few people in North America who didn't have a wildlife sighting while driving, and/or had an accident with the wildlife or alteast don't know anyone who had one. I have seen lots of deer and Moose (one time, twice on the same day when I lived in New Hampshire) while driving. I used to see deer atleast once a week in Iowa and almost each time I went to the range as both the ranges I went to were in the middle of Govt forest land. Came close to an accident with a deer family in Iowa once, the father (buck) had a nice gear.

Two very close friends of mine had accidents with deer, one, Dave got hist car totalled (100% ruined) the other got hers badly mangled and even hurt her back and neck from the accident. My friend Dave hit a huge buck and he said the antlers crashed thru the windsheild and came within 6 inches of his face. The cops came and moved the car and animal to the side of the road and gave him a ride home. When he went back to pick up his mangled car, the deer was gone. Someone just stole it. Amazing huh ?...

Like Mehul said, if you're involved with wildlife in an accident, the animal is yours to take. Or, if you find a mangled animal on the road, you can just pick it up if you'd like, taking permission from an LEO is always preferable. Most vandals just take it if they want to. On one occasion, I saw a deer with the head cut clean off, looked like a chainsaw job, it was cut cleanly off the body, must've been a huge rack that they didn't bother to take any meat.

IF (God forbid) I have an accident with wildlife, and IF I was able to make the animal Halal and IF other circumstances were right (time, my condition, condition of passengers if any, no CWD), I'd probably bring it back and eat it. What would you do ?

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:02 am

I've eaten so many vehicle killed deer it''s not funny!

Usually, we won't butcher the whole thing up as the meat that was bruised will taste strange. So you skin the animal, then cut off the injured pieces, then butcher the animal.

In fact, my wife just killed one with our F-150 last month. I arrived maybe 25 minutes later and someone had already taken it, they don't waste food around here!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:06 am

penpusher";p="9763 wrote:
runninig human beings etc..
That would really hurt :lol:

penpusher
If one survives the ordeal..

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:08 am

See this guys..Anybody want a recipe for road kill :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4660060.stm

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:22 am

Now this is interesting !!!
Saw the link. The man already has a reader in Mark.

TC

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:04 pm

I haven't been THAT hungry for quite a while!

Some of his more unusual meals have included a greater horseshoe bat and otter.

He regularly eats badger, rabbit, deer, weasel, hedgehog, squirrel and fox.

"I've lived off roadkill for the last 30 years or so. It adds to the pleasure of a meal to know I haven't paid for it," said Mr Boyt, whose wife Su is a vegetarian.

If his motivation is free meat and he lives in Cornwall, the nutter should take up fishing instead of bats and hedgehogs!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:29 am

Mark couldn't agree more. I would certainly like to interview his wife if I ever get a chance.

TC

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Just make sure you have nothing else planned for that afternoon, I'm sure you'd be getting an earfull!

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:28 pm

Mark";p="9834 wrote:
In fact, my wife just killed one with our F-150 last month.
Was your car damaged like the one in th pic??
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Pran,

No, it only destroyed the grill and the air conditioner condenser that mounts behind that. It put a small dent in the top of the hood as well. It is smaller vehicles that are going over 50-60 mph that really get destroyed as then the animal slides up the hood as you see and goes through the windshield.

The damage on our truck was estimated by insurance at $1500.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Mark";p="9999 wrote:
No, it only destroyed the grill and the air conditioner condenser that mounts behind that.
Good for you :)
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:56 am

Just last month my sister,her husband and kids hit a Blue bull(male nilgai) while travelling in a hired tata indica near Mathura at night.The impact was so great every window in the car was shattered and the car was a total wreck.
Luckily none of the occupants were injured, though the poor nilgai breathed its last.
A blue bull is much smaller than the North American moose but still is an impressive animal weighing 200+ kgs.
Yaj.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:54 am

I`ve just been reading through this thread wondering how I`ve managed to miss it until now.
That photograph is really scary........Looks like the Moose used a can opener to rip through the roof.
Badger is supposed to taste like beef.......but the carcases start to rot remarkably quickly and smell appalling. We see dozens of road-kill Badgers every autumn. The Gypsies used to cook Hedgehogs ( `Hedge Pigs` ) by covering them in mud and baking them. The skin - including the spines - comes away with the baked mud apparently.
We`ve seen and heard of dozens of accidents involving deer but luckily ( fingers crossed ) we`ve never hit one.
Where is the famous ( infamous ? ) road kill restaurant - Wyoming or Montana ?
That guy in Cornwall is a nutter..........scraping up bit of dead animals from around the countryside - and as for Bats ? The only indigenous species of animal in which rabies has been recorded in Britain ? Yeah very sensible.