Coming to Bangalore

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Barry smith
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Coming to Bangalore

Post by Barry smith » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:38 am

Hi there.

I am coming to live in Bangalore later in the year and want to carry on my shooting sports. I currently shoot trap and skeet in the UK and would like to find a range in Bangalore.

I have seen the reference to the Karnataka State Rifle Association and understand that they have a range for skeet and trap which is great news.

Can anyone tell me if I can shoot there as an expat or join a club there.

Also does anyone know the situation with importing a shotgun into India? I have a shotgun license for the UK but would like to know how I go about getting the right permit and permission to import or buy a gun in india.

Finally can anyone tell me how easy it is to acquire shotgun cartirdges and what equipement/supplies I should be bringing with me? I was thinking of just bringing my skeet vest and ear defenders.

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Barry

For Advertising mail webmaster
Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:42 am

Blunt/Practical answer:

Am In the same boat as you, planning to visit India.

Do your Skeet/Trap shooting in the UK, too many hassles bringing a firearm to India.

Even with club guns if available, ammo very expensive and poor quality. So your shooting might be iffy at best.

Bring a decent .177 Air Pistol/Rifle, no restrictions on these. Can shoot almost anywhere you can find a safe spot. Make sure to bring good pellets with you, local pellets are trash.

Satpal.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Coming to Bangalore

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:27 am

Hi Barry,

There is just one civilian shooting range in Bangalore and that happens to be KSRA.

How long are you going to be in Bangalore? I ask because KSRA can be notoriously slow in doling out memberships. So if it is just for a couple of months, it is not worth the hassle. Let me know and I will then ask on your behalf. Unfortunately, they do not permit guests to shoot otherwise I would have signed you in as mine.

KSRA has two skeet and trap guns respectively and they also provide cartridges and clays. However, at the most they will provide 35 rounds per visit and the range is only open on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

I would suggest you ask at the Indian High Commission about bringing your shotgun with you. They may not permit you to bring in many cartridges but it's worth checking.

Welcome to IFG.

Mack The Knife

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:48 am

Rusty, how do foreign sportspersons compete in sporting events in India, like the Asian games ? We do have "world class" facilities but its difficult for people to enjoy them.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am

Hi Sharief,

I guess there must be some special dispensation given by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and/or other ministries for international shooting events.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:51 pm

Barry,

It just occured to me that if you fish, then you should bring some of your tackle with you as there is some pretty good fishing to be had - especially the mighty mahseer.

Shameless plug for another organisation I belong to www.wasiindia.com

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:04 pm

Barry,

I am an Indian citizen who lives in the USA and I wanted to take a friend's 505 Gibbs rifle to India on a planned trip so that friends might shoot it for fun. I was informed that under "most circumstances" this was not permitted though I was never told what the circumstances under which I would be allowed to tkae a rifle with me would be.

I have been informed that it is easier for a non-Indian to take a gun to India than it is for an Indian citizen. I would suggest that you check with the Indian High Commissioner's office in London and find out what the rules are.

Best wishes and good shooting!

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Talking of coming to Bangalore, Mehul, when ? and Delhi and Noida and...;)
Wouldnt want to miss you
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:12 pm

Mack The Knife,
Heard a lot about Mahseer.How heavy's your biggest catch been?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."