Poll -Should we allow hunting related posts on this forum

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!

Should we allow legal hunting related pics and videos on this forum

Yes
81%
No
11%
Yes but in a separate secluded area
3%
Yes but tasteful ones only
5%

Total votes: 64

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Poll -Should we allow hunting related posts on this forum

Post by Sakobav » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:15 am

Prashant

As Grumpy once put it succinctly something on the lines hunting is a basic right for a commoner yet its denied to a common person..hunting has also been a sense of entitlement. US and Canada are one of the few countries where this right was upheld by burgeoning middle class . Hunting as a sport is meant to teach aspects of stalking, understanding the terrain , patience marksmanship, enjoy outdoor and importantly respect life and habitat. I also dont agree that Vegan's cant be good warriors or soldiers; many of the Indian soldiers and communities who are vegetarian serve and have served in armed forces. Then I dont believe in concept of martial race either( sorry OT)
I dont know history too much so cant comment on reason of decline in Maurya empire.

Best

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:39 am

prashantsingh wrote:After the Kalinga war Ashoka the Great embraced Buddhism and made it the state religion. He also took to the path of non-violence. What happened to his great empire? The great Maurya dynasty was over in the next 50 years.
In olden days hunting "as a sport" was practiced by the warriors and the noblemen. My article on Pig sticking is an example of how the Cavalry used the game to improve their skills in war.
Do you think a vegetarian soldier, who has never seen blood would be able to perform as well in a close combat?
Every one has his own place in society.
I have as much respect for the vegetarian "pandit" who recites the sanskrit "shlokas" and performs "pooja"; as I have for the soldier who defends my great nation.
I am sorry but this observation completely lacks any validity in terms of battlefield valour and has a lot of cultural trappings which we can do away with.

It was a sport of the so called warriors and noblemen because if a commoner did it,it was called poaching.As everything else in those times,sport hunting was a feudal pastime and very different from a hungry man hunting to feed his family.

Remember, the soldiers came from every sections of the society and they never cared for the tags of nobility or warriorhood. :cheers:

Let us not get into that line of debates.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 am

i am also very surprised to know that anything legal should be banned, strange notion, do you not think as the poll title says [b]'Should we allow legal hunting[/b] related pics and videos on this forum'

so when we say, should we allow legal hunting? the opposite understanding of this is lets allow illegal hunting. since we cannot ban illegal hunting lets ban legal hunting.

it sounds like some one lost their sense of what is legal and what is illegal . more to the point what is being said is that lets do away what is legal, i am sorry but that kind of thinking has to be from unsound mind. :shock:
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:11 am

prashantsingh wrote: Do you think a vegetarian soldier, who has never seen blood would be able to perform as well in a close combat?
Every one has his own place in society.
Such generalisations are equally odious. There are plenty of vegetarian soldiers in the army and it has no bearing on their ability to do their duties.On the other hand i have seen plenty of hard core non vegetarians pass out at the sight of blood.
It is more about the right to choose rather than being non vegetarian imparting special qualities to a person.
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:06 pm

My own ideas on this question of whether discussions of hunting on this board take the following form:

Our board is quite simply defined by its name: Indians For Guns. In a nutshell, we are a band of people who have enlisted in the cause of establishing the legal Right to Keep and Bear Arms (RKBA) in India, both in word and in practice.

I will note that the way this board has traditionally been administered has been in a very open and pluralistic manner. For example, there are some here who are not Indian or of Indian descent (of which, I am one, though I am a keen student of Indian cinema and history).

The strength of this cause requires some degree of standing together. I would suggest that the amount of standing together necessary for this online community is best dictated by the size of the task before us: to establish the right of gun ownership in India.

I submit that those things which impair and divert our community from this task are not beneficial. For instance, some of of here hunt, some don't and see nothing wrong with it, and some are opposed to it. Whatever view we as individuals hold, hunters are obviously folks who naturally desire to see RKBA implemented, along with skeet shooters, target shooters, collectors, and anyone else who wishes to promote RKBA in India, whether they actually own a gun or not.

Immoderate discussions that fracture our unity and/or make our community appear to be a pack of "wing nuts" in the eyes of the public -- and by this, I mean give the appearance to the average citizen of being the sorts of people least able and deserving of RKBA -- these things do not work in favor of RKBA and are therefore opposed to our purpose here.

There are a wide range of views and values represented here, and the management of the board has been very accommodating of expression, wisely taking the position (as Vikram notes) that censorship is usually not a healthy policy for an online community. However, it is also true that when inflammatory language threatens to divide us and divert us from our purpose ("Indians For Guns"), then the price for the misuse of freedom must be paid, and some degree of censorship looms over our exercise of freedom.

Fellow gun lovers and gun owning brothers, let us be careful to ensure that our efforts to gain RKBA are not derailed by the pursuit of discussion that's not in keeping with our purpose. I'd submit that, when the thread begins to devolve into factionalism, it's time to take a step back and seek common ground for the common good. It's time to agree to disagree, and move back to our purpose here.

So, my vote for this board is for guns and the brotherhood/sisterhood of gun lovers and gun owners. Since there's no such category for which I may vote, I shall abstain.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:22 pm

While it’s quiet interesting reading the various discussions on this thread, I think it’s not right to stoop to the level on discussing “Vegetarians & Non vegetarians”. This is way down low. Being V or NV is something that’s very personal and in the Indian context, based more on religious sentiments than being health conscious. I think we should avoid this angle. I hope you gentle men see sense in this.
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Big Daddy wrote:While it’s quiet interesting reading the various discussions on this thread, I think it’s not right to stoop to the level on discussing “Vegetarians & Non vegetarians”. This is way down low. Being V or NV is something that’s very personal and in the Indian context, based more on religious sentiments than being health conscious. I think we should avoid this angle. I hope you gentle men see sense in this.
:agree:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:57 pm

hi,i think all who own a gun,do really have an instinct to hunt!nothing wrong in talking about it.i agree with herb.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:12 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:hi,i think all who own a gun,do really have an instinct to hunt!nothing wrong in talking about it.i agree with herb.
I didn't really get you Dr.Jayakumar. Are you saying that

Everyone who owns a gun want to hunt? :?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:55 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote:hi,i think all who own a gun,do really have an instinct to hunt!nothing wrong in talking about it.i agree with herb.
And yet another setreotype.
I own quite literally dozens of guns and dont hunt.

shoot to kill
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by shoot to kill » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Vote : Yes
Mr S.M.Nawab

I work to live,
I live to Shoot.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:38 pm

:stupid:
Have **** so will *****. That is a wrong impression.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:08 pm

A show about “Honey Hunters” from Sunderbans was on Discovery yesterday, I think everybody should see that show to understand what real hunters are like. How they follow one bee to reach the comb, How they tell where is the comb from distance of hundreds of yards, How they follow a strict code of not touching comb with larva, How they sing songs and pray/request bees to come back to the comb.

You may not equate that with Hunting but for me and them it’s hunting because hunting is not just taking the shot. It’s about Stalking, understanding and respecting your prey species. Its about loving what you do, its about being one with the Jungle. I doubt any anti will ever be able to understand that.

-Inder

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Dear ngrewal,
In India hunting was never a game for the commoners. By commoners I mean the average, majority of individuals on the street. Only people who owned guns and were financially well off compared to the "common man" could afford to book a block for themselves and pay for all the "Bandobast" which went with a shoot. When I talk about hunting , I talk about legal hunting . Anything illegal would surely not be called hunting but poaching.
It was stupid of me to co-relation bravery in war with being a veg./non veg.
I would also like to share a funny story told to me by a retired fauji officer.As a young officer this gentleman had gone to do a commando course. During which,one of the lessons was jungle survival . The instructor demonstrated the group the "art" of catching a live snake, killing it and then cooking it. He then asked the non veg officers to step forwards. Now even a hard core non vegetarian would think twice before eating a snake....so only a couple of guys stepped forwards. The instructor asked them to dismiss and forced the others to eat his special dish. I believe it tastes like "fish".

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm

My dad, when posted in Africa had the same experience. After a grand feast at an African friends place, he asked his host what fish was it and what preparation as it was so tasty.

His reply was, and my father still remembers the exact words he heard about 40 years back…..’well roasted python my brother, well roasted python’
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.