Poll -Should we allow hunting related posts on this forum

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!

Should we allow legal hunting related pics and videos on this forum

Yes
81%
No
11%
Yes but in a separate secluded area
3%
Yes but tasteful ones only
5%

Total votes: 64

gverma
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Poll -Should we allow hunting related posts on this forum

Post by gverma » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi
On this link http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7892 very respected members have suggested that may be we should not post hunting related posts. While other equally respected people feel we should go for it as long as the post is tasteful.

So a quick poll for everyone. Please do participate
Thanks
Regards
Gaurav

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Poll -Should we allow hunting related posts on this forum

Post by dev » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 pm

gverma wrote:Hi
On this link http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7892 very respected members have suggested that may be we should not post hunting related posts. While other equally respected people feel we should go for it as long as the post is tasteful.

So a quick poll for everyone. Please do participate
Thanks
Regards
Gaurav

Since hunting is banned in India we are adverse to such posts. But tales of hunting overseas, do crop up now and again. Some old timers do relate pre-ban stories. Generally we like to keep the discussions to guns and ammo, lest we get painted as blood thirsty yahoos.

Mod.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:37 pm

If the post made does not transgress the laws of our country and is in good taste then definitely yes!
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:52 pm

:agree:
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 am

Yes why not, we can't do it but atleast we can talk about it..

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:04 am

Anything that is legal,lets not be ashamed of it for hurting the delicacies of the uninformed or the differently informed.

Having an open and honest discussion generates a knowledge base and helps others make up their own minds.

Suppressing and self-censorship of ideas are rarely productive and anathema to free thinking.

Once again, the operative word is "Legal".And take it from there onwards.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

gunnera4
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gunnera4 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:17 am

my vote was "yes", and i agree with the majority responding. so long as its legal hunting under the laws where the poster lives, and photos are in good taste, no pics of bloody wounds, or piles of animal entrails. in many parts of the world hunting is not only for sport but for subsistence by poor folk. even in my own rich country there are people for whom a deer taken in the fall hunting season provides meat for a family over a winter, in younger days i've fed my own family by hunting in vermont's forests in times when jobs and money were hard to come by.
"And my only friend, from start to end, was a punishing army Colt."

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:33 am

Yaj wrote:If the post made does not transgress the laws of our country and is in good taste then definitely yes!
i say yes to hunting topics.

the link shown viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7892 is not hunting but butchering which is two different things, so to use that as a reason to ban hunting topics etc, shows that the subject of hunting is not understood, its like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

if one does not like hunting related topics then one is not forced to read those topics, i believe that on this forum one has a right to read any post just as they have the right not to read any post. one is not forced to read hunting or outdoor posts.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:54 am

yes if its from overseas and the old times when it was legal...

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:00 am

Hello Gverma,
A lot of water has flown down the Ganges, since that post. Along with the swirling eddies and roiling waters, my thoughts on the subject, quite similarly flow and unfurl. Some of these are as follows;

So what is this concept of 'tasteful'? A clean shot, followed by instantaneous death? No gory exit wounds? Or should we term 'tasteful' as posing with the animal looking as if it is still full of life and could spring away any moment? And then wondering, whether it would have appealed more to the heart, by just watching it continue its life in graceful beauty, rather than frozen in a photograph!

Then there is this grand concept of 'legality', Ah! What a concept, designed by men to keep other men from transgressing into areas, which in other parts of the world may just be the opposite?

Then there is 'culling', wow, one does great good, by reducing the numbers of a species who CO-HABITAT the planet,like you and me, so WHO decides? We humans, supposedly on top of the gene pool, we grant ourselves the right to decide, on which species should be allowed to roam free in numbers and others to be slaughtered, perched on helicopters and shot in the back of the head.

So Gaurav, my friend, why not just leave it to that little voice in each of us, lets listen to that voice, if it is silent and it doesnt hurt to pull the trigger and watch a LIFE being taken, then I suppose its okay for that person. The question is WHAT does YOUR voice say? My inner voice says I will NOT,EVERMORE, pull a trigger, to take another LIFE, THAT, which I cannot give, I will not take. This is what MY voice says regarding hunting and I will abide by it? Others may abide by their own.

(Unfortunately, my little voice is still silent, when buying mutton. When the day comes when its voice become too intolerable, then I might stop eating meat.)
:cheers:

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:14 am

My vote is a big "YES".
Man created guns not just to shoot at paper targets and clay pigeons , but more for "Shikar". Infact target practice was basically done to improve one's skills at Shikar.
Hunting is banned in India.....but I see no harm in sharing old/new (legally hunted) shikar stories. Interestingly a friend of mine (in Dec 09) shot the maneating leopard of Jhajra .

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:52 pm

My vote is yes,question being that we shoot Wild Boar,and Blue Bull for crop protection,do we label it as hunting [cause i can assure everybody that what it is],crop protection is the word for legal terms.Everybody is saying that hunting is banned in India,well legal hunting for vermin Wild Boar,Blue Bull read CROP PROTECTION is allowed in Punjab,H.P,Maharastra,M.P .
As HVJ said to Gvermas submission on tasteful photos,i would agree with hvj,and Gverma go to a butchers shop were they dress chickens/goats,etc boss there is nothing tasteful about it,chickens running without their heads is not really tasteful,but am sure eveybody does enjoy the Butter Chicken,Murg Masalam,etc.Spains matadors who bleed the bull and then the coup de grace is not really a tasteful sight,but go to Barcelona and see the reception they get.
Blood Sport/Hunting are in the human genes since they were hunter/gathers and a few laws passed by these farts sitting in GOVT of INDIA is not gonna change that.
As Wilbur Smith wrote in his book"Explaining the passion of hunting to a non hunter is like explaining colour to a blind man".

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Why not?
Its legal in most countries, and Nilgai and Wild Boar are 'legal' in India.
Hunting used to be legal in India as well, I remember a lot of hunts growing up. Everywhere from Damana to Fatehragh and Barabanki to Kohlapur to you name it.

I no longer hunt, but do enjoy reading about it.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:21 pm

I used to hunt a lot when was young as I grown up in the area where hunting is legal. Hunting illegal in India, but it is not a crime to disagree as along as you not going to broken the law de facto.

I think prohibition of hunting has many of negative concretenesses, first prohibition it self did not work and instead of been a hunter a lot of people becoming a poachers, quite unhealthy.

second, prohibition of hunting undermining defense capability of Indian military and police. It is totally different thing to shot a live object and a paper target. For example anti snipers team of US secret service encouraged regularly to hunt with their service weapon to keep a sense of as it called life trigger.

In India animals are over protected, one example, not related to hunting. To get permission to do medical research with use of lab animals almost impossible and very lengthy procedure, but if you want to do any experiments/clinical trials on people - no problem just get signed informed consent form
Last edited by Subal das on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Last time when I was in Delhi I saw a dog running on the streets with oozing sores all over its body. No body will spend a rupee to take this dog to the vet and get it treated but can spend hours talking why the life of this dog should not be taken to put an end to its suffering, they are comfortable with the dog continuing to suffer for many more months. Different perspectives I suppose about taking a life, not sure which one is correct.

In countries where legal hunting is allowed most of the wildlife are very well managed and wildlife numbers are on the rise. There is lot of hunting in North America & Africa and most of the hunted species are increasing.

In Canada we hunt a lot , I see ducks, geese & deer every where and and recent polls suggest that deer and geese numbers are increasing rapidly. Last time when I was in India for a month, the only non domesticated species I saw was crows.

In countries where hunting is prohibited e.g India, all I ever read is wild life number are rapidly decreasing even in protected reserves.

Wildlife has to generate revenue on its own merit for it to be valuable to the community. The only people who are willing to pay money to to maintain wildlife is the hunting community. In North America hunters pay millions of dollars as licenses fees for wildlife management. People who hunt in Africa spend a fortune for each hunt which goes into wildlife management.

I am not sure how many people (non hunters) will be willing to pay a wildlife tax of say 5% per year to protect and maintain and manage wildlife in India.

What about Fishing ??

Herb
Last edited by herb on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.