thought for the day

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: thought for the day

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:32 am

"When the incident happened the respondent must have been about 20 years of age. At that age young people often commit indiscretions, and such indiscretions can often been condoned. After all, youth will be youth. They are not expected to behave in as mature a manner as older people. Hence, our approach should be to condone minor indiscretions made by young people rather than to brand them as criminals for the rest of their lives.

In this connection, we may refer to the character 'Jean Valjean' in Victor Hugo's novel 'Les Miserables', in which for committing a minor offence of stealing a loaf of bread for his hungry family Jean Valjean was branded as a thief for his whole life.

The modern approach should be to reform a person instead of branding him as a criminal all his life."
- Supreme Court of India in Commissioner of Police and Others Vs. Sandeep Kumar, Civil Appeal Number 1430 OF 2007, bench of Justices Markandey Katju and Gyan Sudha Misra.

The respondent had applied for the post of Head Constable (Ministerial) in 1999. In the application form it was printed : “12(a) Have you ever been arrested, prosecuted kept under detention or bound down/fined, convicted by a court of law for any offence debarred/disqualified by any Public Service Commission from appearing at its examination/selection or debarred from any Examination, rusticated by any university or any other education authority/Institution.” Against that column the respondent had written: 'No'.

It was alleged that this is a false statement made by the respondent because he and some of his family members were involved in a criminal case being FIR 362 under Section 325/34 IPC. This case was admittedly compromised on 18.01.1998 and the respondent and his family members were acquitted on 18.01.1998.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:05 pm

"Terrorism is the best political weapon for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."-- Adolf Hitler
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:10 am

good one

in the name of terrorism all inhumane laws will be passed
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Yes the countries that are shouting hoarse "terrorism terrorism" over the rooftop are usually the ones themselves indulging in terrorism and false flag operations to fool their constituencies. It is like the proverbial saying in Hindi or Urdu Chor Machay Shor i.e. the thief after committing theft is running, and in order to divert attention from himself, shouting "catch the thief catch thief".

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:01 pm

“The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting” - Czech writer Milan Kundera

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 pm

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear." - Harry S. Truman - (1884-1972), 33rd US President

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it - Spanish Philosopher and Poet George Santayana

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:32 am

Nobody in the world, nobody in history, has ever gotten their freedom by appealing to the moral sense of the people who were oppressing them - Assata Shakur

ronj
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ronj » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:17 am

God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am

equality is delusion of the unbalanced.
no one is equal to me
i am equal to no one
we all are of different and unique.
demanding equality shows you are not equal.

all should be given equal opportunity to develop to the best they can be.
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by I Like Pie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:48 am

The chief cause of problems is solutions.
-Eric Sevareid, CBS News 1970

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:11 am

In India, 'Bhakti' or what may be called the path of devotion or hero-worship plays a part in politics unequalled in magnitude by the part it plays in the politics of any other of the world. 'Bhakti' in religion may be a road to salvation of the soul. But in politics, 'Bhakti' or hero-worship is a sure road to degradation and to eventual dictatorship. - Dr. B.R. Ambedkar

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action - in Ian Fleming’s James Bond novel Goldfinger

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:40 pm

India has massive poverty, child malnutrition, lack of healthcare and good education, etc. All this is bound to lead to popular agitations against the govt. which will then blame the minorities for all problems, the way Hitler blamed the Jews. In other words, communal riots and communal incidents will be engineered through agent provocateurs, the 'beef' lynchings being latest examples.

No doubt the Hindu majority will approve of this for some time, but this drama cannot go on forever. You can fool people for some time, but not all time. Ultimately even Hindus will realize that what is needed is jobs, healthcare, food, etc and not Ram Mandir or cow protection.

Then the day of reckoning for BJP will come in some way ( which cannot be presently predicted ).
- Retd. Justice Markandey Katju in his blog post on April 25, 2017

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:07 pm

One good article on contemporary thinker Mr Katju .
https://www.google.co.in/amp/m.indiatod ... 58882.html

Added in 21 minutes 32 seconds:
Part of being a winner is knowing when enough is enough. Sometimes you have to give up the fight and walk away, and move on to something that's more productive.
Donald Trump

Added in 6 minutes 13 seconds:
Here's a classic one .
It's a poem written by Oscar Brown Jr .

It s a great piece that may save se body from falling into abyss of political correctness .

On her way to work one morning
Down the path along side the lake
A tender hearted woman saw a poor half frozen snake
His pretty colored skin had been all frosted with the dew
"Oh well," she cried, "I'll take you in and I'll take care of you"
"Take me in oh tender woman
Take me in, for heaven's sake
Take me in oh tender woman, " sighed the snake

She wrapped him up all cozy in a curvature of silk
And then laid him by the fireside with some honey and some milk
Now she hurried home from work that night as soon as she arrived
She found that pretty snake she'd taking in had been revived
"Take me in, oh tender woman

Now she clutched him to her bosom, "You're so beautiful," she cried
"But if I hadn't brought you in by now you might have died"
Now she stroked his pretty skin and then she kissed and held him tight
But instead of saying thanks, that snake gave her a vicious bite
"Take me in, oh tender woman

"I saved you," cried that woman
"And you've bit me even, why?
You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm going to die"
"Oh shut up, silly woman," said the reptile with a grin
"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in
Great men are not born great , they grow great .