Vikrams visit

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Vikrams visit

Post by Grumpy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:53 pm

So, Thursday I met Vikram. For those who don`t know him personally he is nicer bloke in person even than he appears online. Had a couple of very late nights......er, mornings, just talking guns and shooting.
I`ll leave him to write a report on the auction that we went to. I think he was pretty startled at some of the prices but many of the rest of you are going to be .................... Ah, but that would be telling !

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Re: Vikrams visit

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:22 am

Grumpy,

Good to know that you had a great time and found some nice bargains. I do wish that this time round, Vikram's report has pictures of himself for a change. :mrgreen: So far, none of his reports has had a picture of him.

Will wait for full details,

Mehul

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:52 am

Looking forward to the report by Vikram

Rgds

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:59 am

Sorry folks. Been busy catching up with a few things pending my rather enjoyable absence.

Firstly, before I proceed any further, let me tell you what you all know, Grumpy is a fine kind gentleman of the first rate and he is a walking encyclopaedia, of not just firearms but almost anything under the sun.
Prior to meeting Grumpy, I asked him not to come forth to meet me as I wanted to spot him without him coming to me. As he, in his fleece jacket, and Wobbit Bosher from Internetgunclub.com walked past me, I didn’t even look at them. I was expecting a tweed clad pukka British type. He smiled and called me and told me that he didn’t expect me to spot him. Speak of stereotypes.

As we walked in, there was a treat waiting for us. Many people, most in camo and shooting jackets, keenly and enthusiastically inspecting and assessing assorted guns,rifles,ammo,fishing tackle, sporting/hunting books, paintings and sundry other appurtenance that would be of interest to an outdoorsman. As we started going through the catalogue and pick each gun that was of interest, Grumpy started explaining the maker, his/their history, place in history, qualities that distinguish their guns and the characteristics of the guns themselves.

For example, guns by Pape of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, who was considered to be the finest provincial gun maker, invented chokes etc. BTW, Grumpy bought a Pape hammer gun in nice condition. He made me shoulder a 12 bore Marocchi skeet O/U with 29” barrel and then try a game gun by Browning. Gentlemen, you instantly understand why a trap/skeet gun shot pre-mounted is a useless club for game shooting and not vice versa. I will never take a trap or skeet gun for game shooting.

There were guns of all types by various British makers, Cogswell & Harrison, Chas Osbourne, Purdey, Pape, Pollard, Jeffery, Westley Richards etc, ( just to name a few) and other continental makes like AyA,Merkel, Lebaeau Corally, Brownings, Berettas, Rizzinis, Lanbers, FNs etc, and of course the ubiquitous Baikal. There even was a drilling of unusual combination with 16x16x7.8mm. The 7.8mm, according to Grumpy, is an unheard calibre. There was a little combination gun, barrel length 19.5” by Kleszczewski of Berlin with one barrel in .410bore and the other in .22 .

There were, of course, a lot of rifles by many popular makers.

Before it gets tedious for you to read, let me jump to the auction. Imagine auctioning nearly 700 items to almost 60-70 enthusiastic and determined bidders and the pace at which the auctioneer has to carry on. The speed did not prevent him from indulging in the exercise of a razor sharp wit and silence an occasional unruly bidder.

Here we go. Caution, if you experience tears rolling down your cheeks, stomach knotting up, fists clenching, loud groans escaping your throats or you find seething with anger, please understand and take pleasure/succour/relief (pick one or all )in the fact that all your emotions were experienced by me at a rather higher intensity.

Sundry .22 bolt rifles, semis, pumps by Ruger, Remington,Brnos etc went from £5- 30.
.222 Brno bolt rifle -£ 180
.243 Husqvarna bolt rifle- £120
.30/06 BSA bolt rifle- 160
.243 Sako bolt rifle- wink

Many Chinese air rifles,fresh out of box, did not even go for a pound!

Shotguns-

12 Bore Browning A1- £ 700
20 Bore Browning B25 -£3000
12 Bore Beretta sidelock ejector SO2- 900
12 Bore Browning B325- 620
The Marocchi skeet gun in absolutely great condition and solidly built that I tried went for £200.
12Bore Westley Richards boxlock- £3200
12Bore Hammer Purdey- £400
Assorted fine English hammer guns in fine condition, lets say that would last another 100 years with good care, went for prices that would leave you flabbergasted. ( from £50 to £400) with a few going into thousands.

The 12bore sidelock pair by AyA with Churchill rib and 25” barrels, detachable locks etc, went for £600 each. I loved these guns with the way they came unto my shoulder and locked onto where I pointed them.Damn pretty little things.
But, the sidelock pair of Lebeau Corally in pristine condition and stole my heart went for £4200.Grumpy feels that they would fetch at least double the amount in any other larger auction. They were pretty to say the least.

Mehul, a Darne gun went for £150

penpusher, two WW Greener GPs went for £50 and £15.

Rusty, sorry mate, two Browning Belgian A5s in good working order went for £55 and £30. And 2 spare barrels went for £5.

I know you won’t forgive me for rubbing it in, but that was the truth. Imagine my condition witnessing the proceedings.

As I stood clutching the three doubles and the Sako .243 in the cold wind making my jaws clattering, we joked about “Lock stock and seven smoking barrels”.

We drove past the Stonehenge towards Grumpy’s home to be welcomed by his four canines.
In the morning, he treated me to all his guns and for two days I sat there just holding them and talking to him. The 30/06 Schultz and Larsen is one quality rife and it stands rock solid as I take aim. The .243 Zoli looks much more beautiful than in pics and rests so light in my hands. The quality of fit, finish and the deep lustrous blue is so very eye friendly. The Jefferey’s 12 SXS again handles like a true English game gun. The Valmet Fin classic is so well made that it made me think very hard. Grumpy warned me that he was going to show me something that would break my heart and then brought in this 20 Bore Caesar Guerni Magnus Jaspe O/U. This little gun is so well made that it would put many a Beretta and a Browning to shame. It jumps onto your shoulder so easily and lock onto the target you are thinking of instinctively and swings without any conscious effort. I have decided that it is going to be on top of my shotgun wish list.

The Pollard's

The Jeffery

The Schultz & Larsen and the Sako

Keri, his wife, is such a fine lady with a nice sense of humour. Both go to great trouble to feed many birds that visit their backyard. We spoke so much about guns, history, politics and everything else that the two days flew by in a blink. Grumpy knows more about India, the Independence movement, its leaders than many Indians and the respect he has for them so sadly lacks among our native sons. In the evening both of us went to Tesco’s in the “Village” called Street for some shopping. Grumpy is an excellent cook and he treated me to some delectable morsels. As he drove me to Bristol bus station, he invited me again to visit me so that he could arrange some shooting.

Amigos, take off the guns, who would go to these pains of befriending an hitherto unseen person and hosting him so well. I learnt so much from him in these two days than in the years I spent on the net reading about guns. I am fortunate to have met this fine man and call him a friend. Grumpy, kindly accept my sincere thanks.

Mehul, unfortunately, I did not take any pictures at the auction and I am afraid I do not figure in them. Shall do so in you what is coming up next.
Thank you all for going through this lengthy piece.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:24 am

Well said and written like always...

Rgds

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:58 am

Hi Vikram and thank you once again for taking the pains to make a lengthy post without resorting to that abomination called text speak.

Spare Auto-5 barrels for a fiver, eh? You have set some wheels rolling in what passes for a brain.

Take care.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:38 pm

Thanks a lot Vikram for sharing your nice experience...

Power to the brotherhood.. :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:46 pm

Vikram, do post often-pleasure reading your posts-never mind the blurred vision at the prices...
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:37 am

Dodger, that was a pair of A-5 barrels for a fiver...................
Three A-5s - all five shot mags ( unrestricted ) made either £50 each or £55 and £50 with the third at £30. They would all have made getting on for double if they had been restricted to two cartridges in the mag. A-5s are not popular in the UK. Too clunky, too noisy, too old-fashioned, usually too heavy and not the best handling of semis. All three were Belgian made by the way. Those Brits that use semis tend to prefer gas-operated Berettas.
The Beretta sidelock O/U was an S2 - not an SO2. Much older than an SO and with a different action. Nice gun though and in super condition.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:27 am

Grumpy,

Johan is looking for a good A-5 if there is a nice one anywhere in the UK. Strange that the UK ignores these guns when the rest of the world seems determined to stock up on those available. Just shows how different tastes are in different parts of the world.

Cheers!

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:42 pm

reading this post makes me cry :( I am staying in the wrong country for sure. Born in India and still living here..... how on earth we can compare wit the prices in these auctions???????????

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:45 am

Any idea about a side by side lyon&lyon with hammers and a thirty inch barrel? Left barrel fully chocked now in my uncles possession. Spent a Sunday trying to clean it up.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Glad to know that you all liked it.But,the thanks go to Grumpy for making it possible.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:49 pm

Dev, the value of any gun is dependent upon the makers name, the overall condition and the specification - ie the amount and quality of engraving etc. In the case of Lyon & Lyon the name is of no account - they were retailers not gunmakers - so the condition and specification are what is important.