Gun culture on the rise among Indian Americans

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Gun culture on the rise among Indian Americans

Post by kanwar76 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:15 pm

From being the victim to becoming the aggressor, Indians are fast changing from a peace-loving community to a gun-toting one. Last month saw eight massacres across the United States, killing 57 people. Guns were the weapons of murder in each case.

Here is full article: http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/jun/ ... ricans.htm

So gun owners are aggressor :roll:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Timnorris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Gun culture on the rise among Indian Americans

Post by Timnorris » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:39 pm

Guns were weapons in each case...........as you said.............. if they did not have guns they would have done it with a kitchen knife..................as for becoming an agressive community .....................I dont think Indians in India are less agressive.....................

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:37 pm

The guy who killed his wife would have done it in any case. If not with a gun... then an axe.

The sucides are sad.. the gun was again used instead of something else like poison maybe...
The self defence cases... without the guns they would have been victims.

The article is a piece of liberal crap...

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:18 pm

This article borrows from hypocrisy of the anti-gun arguments in this nation. There is a great deal of hand-wringing here about deaths in which firearms are involved. Any death, I agree, is sad, no matter how terrible the situation. However, we have around 40,000 highway deaths each year in this country and around 40% of these are caused by alcohol.

Think of this: because of irresponsible drinking in the USA, we loose 4 times the number of soldiers we've lost in George Bush's Iraq war EVERY YEAR. Yet, few newspaper articles rant about the irresponsible use of alcohol or the need to control or eliminate it from society.

The fact is that, right now, getting drunk is "socially correct" or at least acceptable, because "everybody's doing it" and most people know themselves to be guilty of breaking the law and driving drunk. They can easily envision themselves killing someone with their vehicle while under the influence. Likewise the judge, the lawyer, the politician, and the news reporter.

Just recently in Dallas, we have heard the story of a Middle Eastern Muslim family whose son has been turned into a vegetable in an accident caused by a drunk driver -- a person who has been involved in other accidents and arrests for drunk driving and was continually let off to drive his deadly weapon on the street. Now a young life is ruined forever because, not only for this man's selfish judgment, but because society continually turns him loose to do it again -- the same society that raises so much self-righteous protest about guns, which are not socially acceptable.

I say it is hypocrisy!

As far as Mr. Nitin Sarangapani, is concerned, I am sorry for his death. It is unfortunate that Mr. Saragapani did not consider that here in America, someone might not feel safe with his bullying and beating women, and all of his manly courage obtained from the bottom of a bottle might not protect him against flying lead. If someone is going to pay a price in these kinds of situations, let Mr. Sarangapani and his ilk take the bullet every time, rather than having another woman -- any woman -- abused by a monster.

I have many Indian American friends, and I encourage every one of them to exercise their right to keep and bear arms in this country. It doesn't matter a whit if they have only been a citizen for 2 minutes, or if their family has been American for 200 years. If you are an American you are just as American as anyone else and it is your constitutional right to own guns.

I have found my RFI 2A to be a very effective way to break the ice on this issue, as it is true that my South Asian friends are not used to RKBA here. For some reason, they don't feel it applies to them. I try to get the message across to them that the minute that they become a citizen, they are a full citizen, just as much an American as me or Yankee Doodle.

I think that when my Grandfather and Grandmother came to this country, they brought good and valuable things to America. Three of their 4 sons fought in WW2 and all were decorated. The 4th served during the Korean War. Shouldn't I think, based on my own story, that someone coming to America today is going to contribute likewise? Shouldn't I believe that, if my Dad and uncles, as the sons of immigrants enjoyed guns, that the sons and daughters of any other immigrant will also enjoy guns and contribute to the well being of this nation?

Who knows, maybe people coming to America from India will have good things to teach this country about guns and gun ownership that will enrich all of us. The pattern of being enriched by new people and customs has always been the way things have worked here. Contrary to the article, people from India will also make their contributions, too, and that is something I welcome and look forward to.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:11 am

Whenever I read "gun culture" it's a pretty safe bet to know from which direction the wind is blowing. Gun deaths are fairly low on the list of causes; yet whenever a gun is used in a death, be it suicide, accident, or homicide, it's the "gun culture" that is to blame. Implying, of course, that anyone who would own a gun, except a government issued one, is part of the a gun culture, and only knows how to resolve any personal issue with a gun.
I think it's about time we started reading about all the other "cultures" involved in deaths. "Inebriated driving culture", "knife culture", "ax culture", "bludgeon culture", "strangling culture", "poison culture","awareness expanding culture" (to use a p.c. term), "arson culture", "ladder culture", "car culture", "motorcycle culture", "swimming pool culture", and not to forget , "bath tub culture". I am sure we could think of more. But I doubt we will ever see them mentioned in the news. Cheers.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:23 am

I read this at work and its ridiculous although the Author did slip in a statement from NRA. Rediff and India abroad should focus on other pressing social issues such as visa issues, domestic violence abandoned wives, community service towards displaced families, impact of recession and job loss on the families and the support system, but all this person could do is bring in the guns that too around the time when Washington episode happened. Did you read about that $3800 gun carried by a person this guys cant even get their fact straights sit behind the computer and write up factitious reports without evening venturing out.