IFG Website Suggestions/ Issues

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

IFG Website Suggestions/ Issues

Post by art_collector » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:16 pm

:lol: ...u shud never post pictures of ur gun and if u do please request not to enter into unending discussions about it.
.....hope no one gets offended by the post

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:40 pm

Raks,

I think what you mean to say is that you should verify the authenticity of what you post here, prior to posting it here and claiming it to be fact! ;)

If you are not sure/ have doubts about what you are posting, then say so in your post... that way everyone will know that it is speculation on your part and not the gospel truth. This way you will not be passing on incorrect information to others here - something which could lead a newcomer/ novice to take your statement at face value and in a worst case scenario land himself/ herself into potential trouble... best case scenario the novice could be taken for a ride by an unscrupulous dealer...

Both situations defeat the primary purpose of this group - which is to provide all visitors and members here with facts/ information, which is usually hard to come by in India - to say the very least!

And hey! Discussions are good - aren't they? ;)

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:48 pm

(A rather long) P.S. - If you think back to your childhood - a time when most of us were a lot more unsure about what we knew and as a consequence quite a bit more willing to learn more (on subjects of our interest)... We were also a lot less liable to let our ego come in the way of acquiring new and interesting information, for me IFG has been a constant reminder of that time and I visit here every day, quite humbly looking forward to learning more... If more of us could leave our collectives egos at home, I for one think everyone would benefit immensely!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: what u shud not do

Post by Vikram » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:00 pm

Raks, No offence taken.I understand why you made your post.

Let's think about the "discussion" you refer to.Hope, this would clear up a few things.

One of the primary purposes of IFG is to disseminate knowledge,as accurate as humanly possible, about guns especially in India where a few generations have been deprived of the right that was so liberally enjoyed by the preceding generations. One of the ways of passing on that knowledge/information is through debates and discussions. Of course all this is in the utmost civil fashion. Sometimes, tempers are lost and a few words are exchanged but in the end the camaraderie of fellow gun lovers wins over.

Just as an example, let’s see what emerged out of the debate on Shahid’s guns. All appreciated the beautiful collection and complemented him on owning and shooting those guns. The issue debated was if the Army&Navy co-operative gun was made by Purdey as was stated by Shahid. What did emerge out of this debate? You learn that Purdey never made guns for Army&Navy. Did you see the pictorial evidence in the form of the pin locations on the Beesley type sidelock on the Purdey that is vastly different from the one on the A&N? Now, I never gave a look at the location of the pins on the locks even though I held in my own hands literally tens of the finest examples of British gun making from assorted makers. I learnt a new thing. Earlier I never knew that Army & Navy were a co-operative. I learnt a new thing. I also learnt that the Army Navy archives are with the Univ of Glasgow.I learnt another new thing.

Does this debate rob Shahid the pride of owning his guns? No way. Does the Army&Navy gun cease to be a fine gun because it wasn’t made by Purdey? No way. Each gun is appreciated by its owner and the gun and the owner are appreciated for their place in the fraternity of gun ownership. The single most important thing we should remember is, to keep an open mind and be ready to learn. If Shahid comes up with some conclusive new evidence that proves that the gun in deed was made by Purdey, hurray, we learnt another new thing.

A little reminder. If you see, people like Grumpy and Mehul , they spent innumerable hours on learning about guns and their reading and practical experience and above all their commitment to gun rights is infinite. This is despite dealing with the demands of life to survive ie to work to make a living.This is not about one-upmanship against individuals.I think all parties understand that. This is about ensuring that accurate info is passed on to our readers.

Hope this clears up.

Good shooting-
Vikram
Last edited by Vikram on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: what u shud not do

Post by art_collector » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:15 pm

.... thanks for ur views. Appreciate the amount we learn here. But dont u think we go to much into it. Wud it not be better to give the topic some rest..Please do not take an offence....but thats what I thought and I wrote...
Sorry if I offended anyone

Raks

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:55 pm

Vikram, the no. 4 grade shotgun by Army & Navy has at least 3 different models with different pin locations.

Bisley, Purdey, Churchill, Charles Bosewell or whoever made guns for William Evans, Jeffery or Army and Navy will be classified as first class gunmakers.

More important whether Purdey or his bathroom cleaner made it is that this is a very fine gun, that looks great and shoots well. I like it the most and get good results shooting with it.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:03 pm

I agree with Abhijeet and Vikram, this forum should never be used as a platform for one-upmanship. Some enjoy showing their prized possessions and some don't. As a fraternity, we should admire and appreciate these gestures which I am sure would bring us closer.. One should be aware of the thin line between parting with knowledge and showing off though. The thing that I have learnt over the years is to learn as much as I can from the better informed people from the forums of this kind. A healthy debate laced with humour is always a joy to read but should be checked before it starts creeping towards collective ego relay races. We are proud of this forum and kudos to the people who started it.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:48 pm

I was never the one who wanted to show my possessions to anyone. I knew this unpleasantness from jealous souls would be coming.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 pm

But do we care ? Not really. My business is to enjoy shooting sports and develop more knowledge on the subject.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 pm

shahid";p="17330 wrote:I was never the one who wanted to show my possessions to anyone. I knew this unpleasantness from jealous souls would be coming.
You really are a work of art. :mrgreen:

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:10 pm

and so the micturating competition continues...

this horse dead yet... hey horsey horsey horsey....

Come on guys, I suspect you wont, but again, come on... Please... at least find a room and leave the rest of us dry. Please... Pretty Please, with sugar on the top.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:16 pm

Mack The Knife make no personal comments. I am a work of art or not is not for you to observe and comment.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:54 pm

shahid";p="17349 wrote:Mack The Knife make no personal comments. I am a work of art or not is not for you to observe and comment.
That's rich coming from you and your recent comment about members being jealous of your gun collection.

Jeez....some mothers really do have them. :roll:
Why cease fire ? there is plenty of ammo left to be fired.
Not if I take your pop gun away from you. Run along now. :mrgreen:

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:21 am

I am not commenting because I promised Abhijeet all support. If I go on the anti gun lobby will have a field day. This site is being viewed with interest by all walks of life. More on this later.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Problem with Yahoo mail IDs

Post by mundaire » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:52 am

For a bit over a week now, Yahoo has been marking outgoing mails from our servers as "SPAM". Due to this mails being sent out from the system (thread sub.scriptions/ new sign-up activations/ other notifications) are NOT being delivered to Yahoo e-mail addresses (they are being bounced back to our mail server).

All users are advised to modify their registered e-mail ID's to an alternate non-Yahoo e-mail account ASAP!

While I am trying to get Yahoo support to remove our mail server from their spam filters, this is taking longer than expected - they are hardly being co-operative to put it mildly.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Last edited by mundaire on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.gunowners.in