Off topic, but would this be a great summer job or what?

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Off topic, but would this be a great summer job or what?

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:47 pm

Fighting forest fires.
Last edited by Mark on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:48 pm

Mark,
I can't see the pic. Is something wrong ???

Monish

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:02 am

Yeah, I don't see a picture either!

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:11 am

Link seems to be down. I'll see if I can find it again...
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:18 am

Mark

met some of these smoke jumpers ( may be incorrect) in Idaho and also saw the building (from outside) where they track some of the forest fires in the country. Its adjacent to Boise airport . Hats off to all such guys

Regards
navdeep

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Off topic, but would this be a great summer job or what?

Post by Mark » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:45 am

OK fixed the link.

I had a summer acquaintance once who had worked as a smoke jumper for a summer, however he told me that when he did it they were having an unusually wet year and he never got called out once.

No, I think flying one of these things would be really cool, and then dumping a few tons of water on some burning forest.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:23 pm

Yep! Flying one of these birds would be really cool... :mrgreen:

Flew a microlight once, awesome experience (even though I only had the controls for 20-30 mins and the "real pilot" took over during take off and landing)! Been dying to try out a "real plane" ever since...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:30 am

Abhijeet

In US one doesn’t need a lic to fly microlights..

Asif

These were clipper planes used by Panam check this site out http://www.flyingclippers.com/B314.html

Now there is an anecdotal link between Bangalore and Clippers. Indian business man Walchand Hiralal met an US executive while flying back on a clipper from US. The exec was evaluating sites in Asia for constructing a repair depot for planes. Walchand convinced this gentleman to put this site in India and Mysore Government came forward and offered their assistance. Thus branch of HAL / repair depot was set up in Bangalore and planes would land in one of the reservoirs (Any idea which one it was?). So it can be argued that setting up of HAL spawned ancillary industry and in a way started the ball rolling and transformed Bangalore into current IT/Hightech centre. I don’t recall where I read this article.

Cheers

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:30 pm

Wonder what happened to my earlier reply/ Abhijeet? ;)
Navdeep, my maternal grandfather was invalided out of the British Indian Army after Tobruk in ww2 and ended up being a deputy commandant of a POW camp run near bangalore-may be either jalahalli or yelahanka-not too sure.He also used to mention about american seaplanes landing at Y Tank-yellamallappa shetty tank.I have seen that lake outside Bangalore as a kid, must be a mall or a housing estate by now...
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:33 pm

Abhijeet,
I busted my spine in a hangliding accident in early 80's.
Would love to try an ultralite -there was a french guy near Mysore who used to manufacture ultralites with a 'Road king' 250cc aircooled engine-Name of Joel.
Who's out here?
Best
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:41 pm

Asif

The lake per this article was bellandur ..
http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanheral ... 05/sh1.asp

All the best

NG

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:07 am

Thanks for the correction Navdeep, thats what smelling ether over a life time does for the memory !Must be a strip mall by now...any banglorean comment on Bellandur lake?

Axx