Fountain pens.

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Fountain pens.

Post by OverUnderPump » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:22 am

Whatever happened to the "Ball point pen ruins your handwriting" days :( ? I don't remember seeing any school/college student lately who uses one. My list is as follows:

-Hero
-Parker
-Ritter
-Wingsung (enclosed nib and exposed nib)
I preferred the enclosed nibs mostly,but the exposed nibs would have an indicator showing the ink level.

[img2=http://www.isellpens.com/Images/WingSun ... EN%201.JPG]Check out this picture[/img2]

-Doctor
-Oh and lots of Pilot Pens too.

In my final year of college education, Stic came out with cartridge based Fountain Pens which became a rage and folks would lug around surplus ink cartridges during the exam days like bullets :D .I didn't switch to Stic because jazz apart it wasn't really that smooth a pen to write with.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

For Advertising mail webmaster
HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:24 am

At my school, they still follow the fountain pen rule.Even pilot pens were not allowed.

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:27 am

Diskaon,

I haven't tried a Valor but they are considered good FPs. I have had plenty of Safaris and still have a couple and absolutely love them. It's probably the most loved budget FP. Highly recommended. If you want a budget Sheaffer, try the Javelin. I have been using one on and off for the past two years and it hasn't given me any trouble to date. Buy the converter, if it doesn't come with one. Ditto for the Lamy Safari.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:00 pm

My aunt in shillong would somehow get us sheaffer fountain pens, these were small pens with coloured plastic bodies but the nibs were wonderful. I managed to sneak turquoise green chelpark ink into school work.
Now I keep looking for cheap ball points that have liquid jell. Actually I have gone back to pencils while writing long copy ads.
But now you guys have got me wanting to get a nice fountain pen. Damn you did it again :-).

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:38 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="56706 wrote: ange but would be cheaper at http://www.pengallery.com/ if you wait for the US$ rate to come down again.
Mack The Knife, do you recommend buying fountain pens on the internet? read this and realised that a lot of the posher ones i fancied had the writing tendency of a matchstick on sandpaper. would it not be better to face to face, checking how the pen wrote first?
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:34 pm

http://www.williampenn.net/productdetai ... =45&id=306

instead of the above .. I would rather for for the below:

http://www.williampenn.net/productdetai ... =45&id=601

when I can afford 15K on a pen I will buy the Valor!!!!

diskaon.
klick klack..... diskaon

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:24 pm

Mack The Knife, do you recommend buying fountain pens on the internet? read this and realised that a lot of the posher ones i fancied had the writing tendency of a matchstick on sandpaper. would it not be better to face to face, checking how the pen wrote first?
The Pen Gallery comes well recommended as do a few other shops in the U.S.. Nothing beats actually trying out a pen before purchasing but in India the selection is still pretty restricted.

Which posh FPs did you find to be below par?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Rs.1300/- for a Javelin! I had paid Rs.800.00 odd at the same shop acouple of years back.

icemanV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by icemanV » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Not only are the MB pens overpriced..the roller balls start leaking...Yuck.. Never Again. Was a gift for getting the fourth Stripe.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail-should we fall- we will know that we have lived" - Steven Erikson, TTH

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Mack The Knife,
Here is a picture of the Parker Gold Frame pen...

[img2=http://www.woopics.com/uploads/4d5e5e7174.jpg][/img2]

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi Anupam and thanks for the pic. Unless I am mistaken, That is a Parker 75. I have one of these but it is amongst the latter models that were made in France.

http://www23.addr.com/~parker75/index.html

icemanV
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by icemanV » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:17 pm

@Asher, which school are u talking about? HPS B
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail-should we fall- we will know that we have lived" - Steven Erikson, TTH

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Second dev's posts now I am going to go look for FP.

I have also started using pencils for meeting notes and for daily use good old Parker ball point. Have a Mont Blanc ball point. Strange thing is MB's have their shops on all of the major airports and its that easy to buy.

As mentioned by Mark FPs have fallen by its all ball points in US now.

This discussion reminds me of my Uncle's FP collection in London unfortunatley he is seriously ill.

Best

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:44 pm

ngrewal";p="57023 wrote:As mentioned by Mark FPs have fallen by its all ball points in US now.
You would be surprised. I am not saying ball points and roller balls are not the prefered writing instruments of the majority but there is a very healthy FP community in the U.S..

paragvns
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by paragvns » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:36 pm

I have two mt. blancs but one is a ball point and the other a roller ball (liquid ink)
Have 3 fountain pens - parkers, but not using them currently.
mostly using ball pens that are given by the medical reps.

Parag
An armed society is a polite society. — Robert A. Heinlein