i've got an idea

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

i've got an idea

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Wonder how many of you have been facinated by those remote controlled planes.
But i am. And seemingly in my case everything has to end up with airguns... so here it goes.

How about i get an RC plane, tie a string to it and a table tennis ball and wallah we're there shooting flying targets (my idea of cheap TRAP shooting - cant help it, my friends/uncles didn't take me shooting to the trap range when it was open). The only precaution is we'll have to make sure the plane is a distance away from the shooter and at an angle greater than 60 degrees - considering the length of the string is more than 40cms.

The probability of it is quite less as these model RC planes aint capable of taking the load of even a table tennis ball + these add ons might make it difficult to handle..

Went to a toy shop today to get my hands on one, but thanks to my luck it was out of stock the only one they had was for 3 grand, for an experiment i wasn't willing to spend this much. Will get the one for 1000INR on Wednesday till then i'd say the Delhi Darlings better start zeroing in their Air rifles and dont forget to clean the barrel - no complaining later on....

Cheers
Siddharth

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:23 pm

nice idea

it reminds me of my days sitting in a field and shooting at miniature air plane which was trailing a target behind. shoot hundreds of round.

all missed. :D

hard to hit a large target flying, so i am wondering how difficult it would be to hit a flying tennis ball. :shock:

still its would be fun shooting at tennis balls, :evil: but why not try shooting kits? (which kind?) which is cheap and fun for all.

next question is would the toy plane fly with a ball hanging off? :lol: :lol:

El Cid please let me know when the delhi darling try this as i would not want to miss u all shooting at flying balls. :D :lol: :D
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Re: i've got an idea

Post by TenX » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:35 am

Nice idea. Hope it goes well and noone shoots tha plane !!!
One thought I came across is that shooting one ball may require the plane to land , and tie another, and fly again... a bit cumbersome.

Can I suggest one long string running thru a few balls (Needle them) with knots below the balls where the string pass, so that they dont fall over each other. Then with a bottom-up approach, one can shoot the balls from bot to top, and land ony when they have all been shot ... just my $0.02
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:55 am

shooting flying balls, ROTFL ROTFL

maybe we should form a association " Shoot the balls club"

however i am sure its going to be lots of fun. just must not tell the wife, or she might get an idea :roll:

i look forward to watching the Dili darlings shooting flying balls.
Nagarifle

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:59 am

Please be VERY careful of where your shot will land if it misses is all I'll say.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:14 am

what worries me is that the damage the shot will be do to the balls?
Nagarifle

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:45 am

It's a daft idea considering you have no safe place to shoot and for the reason already given by Sharief.

If you want to shoot at mobile targets, fix one to a cheap RC truck instead. Just make sure that if the pellet misses, it embeds itself into soft ground. In addition, a wall acting as a backstop would be even better.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:21 am

Hmmmm sorry but can't say "What an idea sirjee" :D

And if you want to shoot moving things then why not invent something which is more safer and a bit doable. Trust me Sid we all have been through the stage you are going through nothing works better than simple paper with good backstop or HFT targets like Mack The Knife's crow.

So my suggestion is use a motor and something like Mack The Knife's crow and move it... :D

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:25 am

Hi Sid ,

Searching for a cheap flying plane...just walk into the subway at Regal Cinema crossing....and you have these cheap chinese plane models on sale costs about 150/- or so works on a battery and is fixed to the roof of the subway...tied with a cable it rotates around in a circle....its strong enough to take the weight of a table tennis ball ....and being in a room chances of your hitting anyone are bleak....but resist trying it in your office please.
AC

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:29 am

and being in a room chances of your hitting anyone are bleak....but resist trying it in your office please.
Obviously the walls and ceiling are to be padded to prevent rebounds and ricochets.

Speaking of a padded room, it appears we have a few eligible candidates who may be better off in one.

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:53 am

The place for the shooting is to be a farm with not much around for quite some distance, besides you cant fly most of these planes in residential areas considering the amount of wires and haphazard constructions - i thought i was considered smart enough not to shoot without a safe backstop :(

Siddharth

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:02 pm

The jury is still out on that one.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:05 pm

hi El Cid
one other point to keep in mind and that is

do u have a pilot licence? to fly the plane.

also u would require air clearance from the air ministry.

all the best in flying balls area.
Nagarifle

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:16 pm

And maybe get required customs permit and declaration that the ping pong balls will not be smuggled out of the country in the planes :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Oye Sidkid,

If its a farm then why not set up HFT, why in the blazes do you want a flying target.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.