A strange brotherhood

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

A strange brotherhood

Post by dev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:15 pm

Its very strange how some books never leave you. Illusions by Richard Bach is one of them, I loved it so much that I read it again and again over the years. In fact I read almost 90% of his books after that. Out of Illusions the master talks about how you magnetize your true family, just be yourself and pop the people on the same frequency begin to materialise.

I began to feel alone after my only brother immigrated to Australia, so though we stayed in touch through various voice messengers, VOIP and normal ISD'S it wasn't the same. I mean I couldn't just jump into a car and be at his place for lunch now could I? And so it went with the long emails and conversations on the phone a desperate bid on both our sides not to let the distance get between us.
But the loneliness always stayed. And then one day, I for the heck of it joined a yahoo group. You could say it was totally out of my comfort zone but the group shared a common passion. As the months got on I became addicted to logging in at least once a day, it was a bit like the neighbourhood adda, you strolled in during the lunch hour or after work exchanged a few hello's and got out.

Slowly, the guys dropped their aliases and began to call each other up. It became a boisterous first meeting at a 'Ruby Tuesday', it was so strange to find this group of army, software engineers, doctors and a few advertising types bonding over some hopp flavoured beverage and snacks. Its been about two years now and this band has grown into about five hundred all across India.

But the bunch in Delhi is small about six or seven who somehow manage to sneak a few hours out of their week to meet up. The group is the one that I have mentioned in my fishing stories and they are all real and crazy as loons. When you meet them they have all the camo of normality sprayed all over them they are serious professionals, dedicated husbands, fathers and sons but pull out a fiberglass fishing rod or even hint about a new rod and the layers peel off.

Like children we chatter about hook sizes, tackle boxes, reels and rendezvous points. Like children, one will give you stuff from his tackle box, that he has had to walk over crushed glass to bring into the country. In fact at times its downright unbearable the amount a chap and give away to you without taking anything in return. Feeling bored or had a sudden insight about the same passion feel free to message away. In fact its like an unwritten code, the brotherhood never calls you on your duty hours, if they do its pretty rare. But my gawd you can message thru out the day.

Once the better half was amused no end as we guys exchanged notes on a planned outing. She said that she recently read somewhere in a women's magazine that the most common cover for extra marital affairs was...you guessed it fishing and camping. Thank God that my unsightly looks are enough to keep her suspicions at bay. Who would date a pot belied 42 year old who is tall, dark and... not quite there in the third word.

Its been two years since I clicked on to this wonderful 'league of extraordinary weirdos' and the days are packed online and weekends are crowded. I'm not saying that I don't miss my brother, the kids and Bhabi but its no longer as lonely. We are planning to get our better halves together soon but being typical guys we worry about what they'll do when we begin to yak yak yak.
OK even this happened sometime ago and even they(the wives) get along just fine. So maybe I've lost one brother but in a weird way have found an extended family.

Hope that you all are just as lucky.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: A strange brotherhood

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Thank God that my unsightly looks are enough to keep her suspicions at bay.
That's all very well but does she know about Anupam? On second thoughts, I think I'll have that box of choclates back.

BTW, Mr. Walks-on- crushed glass got himself two mirror carp yesterday. Lucky sod!

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:49 pm

LOL :-)

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:19 pm

Could there be a better way of summing up this relationship (read 'brotherhood') of sorts. Dev has a brother whom he misses.... but I have none... and somehow even I have started feeling that I am not alone and I can share my thoughts and feelings with fellow darlings here... although these have never been put to words till now.

Kudos to you Dev for penning down your feelings and inturn summing up feelings of many others like me who don't put across their thoughts, despite the realisation... Great !

I love Mack The Knife's humour too...although it took me a while to get over his role as a mod. Wish he was a Delhi Darling too... :)

Yes she does know me and also my love for beer and good food.... personality-wise I ain't no different than Dev except for a few lesser white hairs in the beard... so no danger ! :evil:

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="45967 wrote: That's all very well but does she know about Anupam? On second thoughts, I think I'll have that box of choclates back.

BTW, Mr. Walks-on- crushed glass got himself two mirror carp yesterday. Lucky sod!
Yes she knows about Anupam ;-), to add more kindling to the fire we actually went to the same notorious all boys school hee hee :-).

So spy is in your part of town? I thought he was in England? He does cover his tracks well after all Mr. Covert Ops himself.

Where are the darn box of chocolates???
But you have been having pretty good fishing offlate too.

Salaams.

Dev

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:10 pm

personality-wise I ain't no different than Dev except for a few lesser white hairs in the beard... so no danger ! :evil:
[/quote]

What beard? You've gone off your medication again :-).

Dev

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:31 pm

Amazingly well written

Cheers

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:42 pm

My team lead says that he tells his wife, Having an affair is too much trouble, all the lying and expense and pain and maintenance, he'd rather just go fishing. He "KNOWS" hes going to have fun fishing ;)

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:18 pm

So spy is in your part of town? I thought he was in England?
He is in England. No mirror carp at Forbes and I sure as hell wouldn't be stuck at home.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:38 pm

:):)

Ahh san' spoken like a true sensei. We are all "Brothers in Arms". I treasure this camaraderie as much as I do my love for guns and knives. And just like Charlton Heston said, I shall hang on to both till its pried from my Cold dead hands.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 am

Dev

Well put and my SWMBO is amused about my so called "cyber and yes virtual friends" because she is yet to meet one. First one could be Baba Mehul LOL Abhijeet did a fly by stunt.

best

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:07 pm

A strange brotherhood
Maybe we should give it a name and call it "Banduk Biradari" :lol:

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

perazzi
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by perazzi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Mundaire had mentioned conducting a poll to find out how many of us acutually owned guns (except airguns) on our own licenses.
I never saw the poll or the result but wud sure be interesting to actually know the percentages!!!

Cheers Rohit.
Heart of a Lion , Memory of an Elephant