Arabian Desert Gazelle

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
shahid

Arabian Desert Gazelle

Post by shahid » Tue May 20, 2008 1:44 pm

Here's a picture of the Arabian Desert Gazelle we took on one of our trips. It is a close generic cousin of the Indian Gazelle ( Chinkara ) albeit slightly bigger in size )

Sorry - picture attachment function not working with my sign in here, I'll post links from where you all can view the pics of these gracious animals in the desert.

View these two albums.

http://www.dubaidesertclub.com/album_cat.php?cat_id=28

http://www.dubaidesertclub.com/album_cat.php?cat_id=42

Enjoy,

Some pictures are in the open desert and some in special feeding areas created for their general development, well beeing and public viewing ( those who can drive those 25 odd Km in the desert ) to view them.

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Arabian Desert Gazelle

Post by snIPer » Tue May 20, 2008 2:24 pm

Is it edible? How does it taste ??? :-)
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue May 20, 2008 2:55 pm

Perfectly halal an edible. Meat is fragile, hence not good for Bihari Seekh kebabs but for curry and other kebabs quite good.

Trophy fees for hunting this is Dhs. 10,000 ( Rougly Indian Rs. 1 Lakh and 10 Thousand )

Plus hire charge of Landcruiser, camping equipment etc.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue May 20, 2008 3:10 pm

ahh. Interesting
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Tue May 20, 2008 6:11 pm

Looks like a nice time Danish bhai. What's the equipment (guns/ammo) used to hunt those ?

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue May 20, 2008 11:48 pm

Usually 30-06 which is very common or Win .270, although I would say .243 or .256 ( 6.5 x 57 or 54 ) or 6 mm rem mag, would also be very good calibres.

For ranges upto 150 yards 7 x 57 is great but it is not there in these parts.

A lot of people still have 30-30 or the old carbines of 7.62 mm.

One buff wanted to show off his new silver and gold engraved .470 Nitro Express DBBL. The quarry was disintegrated. The exit hole was the sise of a golf ball and the entire exit side of the forequarter meat was destroyed. Burnt black to carbon. No need to barbecue. The guy was saving on charcoal money.

Note - Sharif Sb. it's not Danish, its me his elder brother, Shahid.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed May 21, 2008 12:27 am

From the pics, they look like they stay far and would call for some long distance shooting.

Shahid, sorry about the name mixup.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed May 21, 2008 3:17 pm

This is why a 30-06 or Win .270 is very good. A shot at 200 yards or beyond is well managed from these Amriki rifles.

200 yards spot on, 300 yards just a shine of light between the telescope cross hair ( lateral ) and the spine line of the quarry, 400 yards raise scope cross hair 1 inch from the spine line, the Winchester Silver tip does its job to perfection.

If a shooter is prepared and quick, this quarry runs the first 50 to 70 yards and stops to have a look back. That is the time to shoot it.

vishosingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vishosingh » Wed May 21, 2008 8:17 pm

sahid bhai wouldnt a .22 hollow point bullet be useful for game this size. or is it not all0owed
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed May 21, 2008 11:40 pm

By all standards I consider a .22 40 gr HP bullet underpowered for this game.

No chances of injuring and loseing the quarry are very high. I wouldn't do anything so foolish.

I am always a firm advocate of slight overgunning than undergunning.

I wouldn't even consider a centerfire .223, 250-2000 or 22 Magnum, 22 Swift or similar calibers. No 22 hornet.

22 Savage, maybe but now its obsolete. ( Bullet type was different here )

Minimum 6 mm Rem Magnum or .243.

The weapon you carry has to be prepared for more gun required situations. The shot might be over 250 yards, it might be a very large male, compensation for non vital area hit due to wind drift, no sir, a bit overgunning is always good.

On a similar note I am not at all supportive of the lobby in England gunning to make .223 or 22 CF calibres legal to shoot Roe Deer. Use a .243 good sirs.