Favourite gunwriters

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
mehulkamdar

Favourite gunwriters

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:07 am

The discussion on Corbett and Elmer Keith's guns prompted this post. My favourite gunwriters past and present (in no specific order) are:

Past:

1. Jim Corbett
2. Elmer Keith
3. Ludwig Olson (recently deceased)
4. Robert Ruark
5. John Taylor
6. Skeeter Skelton

Present:

1. Ross Seyfried (he comes top in my list but the rest follow in no specific order)
2. Christopher Austyn
3. Rob Adam
4. Bart Skelton
5. Tom Turpin
6. Chris Bekker (a good friend and a fine gentleman)
7. John Barsness
8. Norbert Klups
9. Steven Dodd Hughes (also a master gunsmith and a photographer of international repute)
10. Jeff Cooper (a surviving character - he does not write much about guns these days and I often disagree with his viewpoints but I shall never stop reading him)

There might be authors whom I have missed. Hopefully, others' posts would help me remember some of them.

Do post about your favourite gunwriters as well,

Cheers!

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
Kshatriya
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kshatriya » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:40 pm

Jim Corbett,Kenneth Anderson,Billy Arjan Singh & Richard Burton are good to read but there are just fleeting references to guns in their books.
If u happen to know the forests that these guys frequented, u are treated to a hunt so real that it appears that u are a part of it.
Of the Gunwriters mentioned by Mehul, I have liked articles & commentaries by Jeff Cooper & John Farnam.
Though I would like to read Gabe Suarez too, especially his books on Handgun handling & tactics.
U.S Army Rifle Cal .30 M1917 Remington Bolt Action
Cal 32 ACP IOF Pistol

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Mehul,
Jeff Cooper is all time fav. But lately have u noticed how he's calling himself "We" . I've been a great fan of cooper's corner but now adays I think the old man is getting senile. Dope bag and Jack Lewis in Lewisly speaking are also great. I personally am a great fan of Frank C Barnes. Man was a marvel. Ken Ramage is good, but nothing in comparision to Amber.... the man who made gun digest the book that it is today. Liked Al Linden and his book about stockmaking, But Ed "red" Harris gave us Ed's Red, if u can't get hoppes or rem oil or anything else .... just mix ed's red formula at home in HDPE cans and mama mia, shotguns rifles revolvers and pistols are all clean and brite. I could go on and on but need 2 get some shut eye. I'm on this great site since last night and visions blurring now .... Oh ya Guys read elgin t gates too... he's mindblowing. oh man I almost forgot the books that got me started in guns and hunting .... John Hunter and Karamojo Bell. ya I feel I was born 100 yrs too late.

Monish
Monish

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Favourite gunwriters

Post by eljefe » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:32 pm

Monty,
Seems we have a great 'joinee' on this forum.Welcome aboard and hope to see more of you.
Most of the guys mentioned are in my all time greats list too
Bell, Amber, Jack Lewis...me too, 100 years late!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:45 pm

eljefe,
thanks for the kind words. More on the writers...... I missed out on the Dean himself, Dean Grennell. The ABC's of reloading by the Dean is my bible. Learnt a lot from just reading this book. Chamfering of cases was an alien concept to me. But it did improve my loads a lot.

Monish
Monish