Mahindra CL 550 (Major)

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Mahindra CL 550 (Major)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:54 pm

Gentlemen,

Has anyone any experience with the Mahindra CL 550 also called Mahindra major.

How is the ride quality on normal roads. What speed can it be driven comfortably. What kind of fuel efficiency can one expect. How bad is it without the Power steering.

Any information / link will be very helpful. I've already searched Jeepthrills.in. Did not help much.

thanks
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

For Advertising mail webmaster
browning
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Mahindra CL 550 (Major)

Post by browning » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:14 pm

My dad also has a mh 4x4.
Its alot of fun to drive. Bought it at a government auction. They need quite a bit of work at first. Its not that bad without the power steering driving off road but you might have a problem driving in the city! Ride is pretty bad! Its an extremely hardy vehicle and is extremely light. Ours had a complete engine overhaul. Its un practical for city use. Is there any special reason you would like to buy this vehicle?
It all depends if ur buying a new vehicle or a used one. You wouldn't want to get stuck wid a over used creeky jeep. Ours reaches maximum maybe 115 kmph.

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:31 am

Hi browning,

Thanks for the reply. I am actually looking at buying a new vehicle. With our Finance Minister giving us some tax relief from next month on, there could be funds to buy a new vehicle.

However found that getting a loan is very difficult for soft tops as they decline in value pretty steeply once out of showroom..

Cheers
Ranjeet
------------------

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:50 am

Ranjeet, the Major gives 12-13 kmpl on rural roads. It is a decent off roader but the ride quality is not all that good.

Buy a used vehicle instead of a new one that way you won't feel bad when doing some hardcore offroading!

Cheers
GG

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks GG,

The bad part about buying a used car is that one never knows when one ends up a with a lemon.
Always wanted to own a jeep- not the pimped up CJs. But a down to earth Mahindra jeep. I see one MM 540 DP (Metal blue, pretty looking) in the parking lot at the office. I'll see if I can get hold of the owner understand if he has a severe back pain coming to office everyday in a MM 540. Does he wish he had a Swift or something :)...
Yesterday had been to India Garage. Those guys don't have a CL 550 for a test drive yet. They do have a 4X4 Invader for display..(its about 6 lakh 12 on the road) and the Mahindra 550 CL 4X4 is about 5.95 on road). I think i'll have to feel it first hand to see who much of a rattle it is and if I can tolerate it ...

Cheers
Ranjeet
------------------

GasramGandu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by GasramGandu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Ranjeet, all the 4X4 from Mahindra come with leaf springs in front instead of coil springs. Due to this the ride comfort is compromised. I went in for a bolero 2WD GLX since the amount of time I spend offroad is limited.

I am on the lookout for a petrol willys with a hurricane engine.

GG

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:08 pm

GG. There is this chap on millers road. Near the masjid opp the start of Nandidurg Road. He has 2 mm540 and one Willys for sale.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 pm

GasramGandu";p="40988 wrote: Ranjeet, all the 4X4 from Mahindra come with leaf springs in front instead of coil springs.
I noticed the leaf spring in the front.. Not sure what exactly it would translate into a ride discomfort.

I drive a Maruti Zen, I am sure there is no way I can imagine what a front leaf spring can do..unless I feel it first hand.

My brother keeps teasing me that I drive a "Chick" car.:)..he drives a Scorpio...

And someone on the jeepthrills mentions that "is its not 4x4 then its a not a jeep but a peep"....I found that offensive :wink: ..chick car is ok but peep or poop not ok..

Well, ofcourse I don't want to end with a bum and a back that I can't walk straight trying to drive a man's car... :mrgreen:

The new Bolero SLX looks very good. Guess that's a good buy...its got A/c and power steering and power windows...and its about 6.95 on road..

Well, I'll try and get a test drive and figure out

Cheers and thanks for the replys

Ranjeet
------------------

Happy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Happy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Hey Ranjeet,
How about trying the Gypsy King. Give it a shot, u might like it. Been using one for a long time and just love it.
Regards.
Happy

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Happy";p="40999 wrote:Hey Ranjeet,
How about trying the Gypsy King. Give it a shot, u might like it. Been using one for a long time and just love it.
Regards.
Happy
He wants to be a 'man' but needs his creature comforts and then some....

Do start a new thread on your Gypsy with as much dope on the subject as possible.

Ranjeet, stick with the Zen or any other city car that takes your fancy as these will suit your needs.

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi Ranjeet,

Several friends of mine have bought second hand Gypsy King's and Mahindra's and modded them for full off roading. They do have the creature comforts that you're looking for (fully modded interiors,GPS,climate control AC) and are good at soft roading too. But the mod does cost a bomb as most of the kits used on these vehicles were sourced from abroad.

I can vouch for their toughness as I've driven them around in impromptu rallies. If you're looking for real hard core offroading, "YOU WILL BE SORE" no matter how well beefed up your vehicle is. Might I add that the vehicles are real "LOOKERS" too.

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

FourByFouraddict
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by FourByFouraddict » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:27 pm

snIPer";p="40991 wrote: GG. There is this chap on millers road. Near the masjid opp the start of Nandidurg Road. He has 2 mm540 and one Willys for sale.
Hi Sniper,

Do you have any detalis of the mm540s for sale? Model? 4x4 ? etc?

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Nope. But might pay that chap a visit this weekend. Shall let you know IF i do.
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

diskaon
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by diskaon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:08 pm

The Bolero is going to be launched with the old Scorpio CRDe engine in May - June.. romours are that the engine will be de-tuned to around 78 BHP as compared to the 115 BHP of the scorpio. This is still higher that the existing DI turbo engine which has around 68 BHP.

The ride quality is much better in the bolero as compared to other M&M vehicles..
klick klack..... diskaon

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:37 pm

The best ride over really broken roads in an Indian vehicle ,I have had so far was in a Tempo Trax.If ridding in a Mahindra jeep is bad for your back,then the gypsy is no better over broken/undulating surfaces.