Fire Arms Proof Testing in India- Some questions

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Fire Arms Proof Testing in India- Some questions

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Ok Gentlemen,

This is more out of morbid curiosity than anything else, and also because I simply don't know.

The issue just suddenly caught my interest and did some reading up on wikipedia.

Anyone clued in on the Indian standards for proof testing of different calibers and arms?
Who sets the standards? What is the procedure...etc.?

Also, is a proof test in the Indian context, meant solely for testing barrel/chamber integrity or the gun as a whole?

Is India a member of the C.I.P?

Is there any non governmental proof house in India?(seeing that the Arms Act provides for just such an expediency)

regards,
cc

For Advertising mail webmaster
Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Fire Arms Proof Testing in India- Some questions

Post by Risala » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:59 am

Am curious too CC.
Have always been intrested in finding out whether the 12 Bore guns made in Jammu & Munger (they claim to be tested by IOF and it is stamped on the guns) are actually sent to the IOF factory for proof testing or not.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:55 pm

Well, what provoked a sudden interest in Indian Proofing is a claim that I heard from an acquaintance who is an SBBL manufacturer. He said he used to send his consignments to Ishapore/Ichapur (Or what ever the present spelling is)- There the so called proofers simply pick up one gun at random- presumably load it with 'proof' loads, fire a couple of rounds, then pass the whole lot!!

So much for standards.

That being said, this acquaintance is also one of those rather 'typical' Indian gun trade guys...so I'm assuming there's something unholy that goes on between the two parties.

The IOF, on that count, should be held responsible for passing substandard and potentially dangerous unproven hardware.
Last edited by cottage cheese on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:13 pm

India is NOT a CIP signatory.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:32 pm

that means that anything made in India would likeable to explode in ur face.Hmmmm ?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:15 pm

nagarifle";p="38906 wrote:that means that anything made in India would likeable to explode in ur face.Hmmmm ?
:)

The 'fortunate' thing is most Indian shooters barely fire enough rounds to bring out such hidden problems. A majority of licenses being 50 shots a year max and not more than 25 at any point of time perhaps even less, most folks simply hoard rounds for a day or reckoning or something.

Manufacturers/proofers both government and private alike know this... I guess most times they expect to get away with lower standards because there is no bench mark or the circumstance for their hardware to be taken to the limits.

I'd certainly not want to be the one to 'discover' unproved 'proofed' guns first hand :)
Last edited by cottage cheese on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:19 pm

Grumpy";p="38904 wrote:India is NOT a CIP signatory.
Thanks Grumpy.

I suppose it suits our work and trade ethics not to do so.... :)