WWI &WWII-The war's independent India has forgotten

Posts that don't fit into any other category. If it's anything to do with guns, it probably doesn't belong here!
penpusher

WWI &WWII-The war's independent India has forgotten

Post by penpusher » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:18 am

After independence,most Indians have forgotten about their countries contribution to an epic struggle,the sacrifices that many Indians made and the heroism and valor of Indian soldiers.Sadly,so has most the world.Interesting link http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/peopl ... ndia.shtml

For Advertising mail webmaster
TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:03 am

Very true.
I know one sports master in a local school who was taken into the Army during WW2. According to him, the Army needed soilders so badly, that anyone with an OK looking personality were enlisted.
He is in touch with several WW 'unknown' heroes who lost their limbs and better part of life for the sake of the country, but were ignored because they were not part of any major operation. I believe people were asked to go over rough terrain without much training even.
I dont know how much is true, but he used to say that there were plans made in a jiffy and several regiments sent out on a mission, without complete information of enemy positions and with very low hope of any backup!
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:04 am

To add -
He says that his loss of health was recognized and his name added to some list, for which he still gets about 380 rupees every month as some Health allowance!
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: WWI &WWII-The war's independent India has forgotten

Post by hamiclar01 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm

penpusher";p="35029 wrote: After independence,most Indians have forgotten about their countries contribution to an epic struggle,the sacrifices that many Indians made and the heroism and valor of Indian soldiers.Sadly,so has most the world.Interesting link http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/peopl ... ndia.shtml
most...........not all (remeber kip the sapper in the english patient? he even got to romance juliet binochet!)

and of course:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/

fantastic site, unbelievable wealth of resource (mpegs, pilots manuals, ORBATS), and very helpful webmasters, specially if you are looking for specific bits of information like IAF camo colours or unit markings.
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:26 pm

Many thanks penpusher for the links as this subject has been very close to my heart.I believe history,native and Western, and we as a nation did a grave injustice to the sepoys who fought in the two World Wars.I still have a few old defence magazines at home where in there are plenty of photographs showing the Indian sepoys in the front.Sitting stoically in snow,horseback with those lances and flaring mustachios etc.

When I was a kid, an old man regularly used to come to our street for alms.Easily over 80,emaciated, bent with age and beaten down by life and clad in ragged khaki knickers.He would stand in attention,give a command in Hindi and salute before he asks for a morsel.I learnt that the man fought in the WW-II and in his old age left to live on streets.I am completely ashamed of my self that I did nothing for that man apart from giving a rupee. :cry: But, that image of that oldman saluting in front of your house still haunts me.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:51 am

penpusher, your avatar. I wanted to ask you. I remember seeing it somewhere but I can't distinguish due to the small size.What is it?Thanks.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:34 am

Bharat Rakshak has great data on Indian armed forces history especially IAF. Their forums once were great place for balanced discussions.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:40 am

Vikram";p="35081 wrote:I remember seeing it somewhere but I can't distinguish due to the small size.What is it?
Does look very familiar. Is it a picture os Subhas Chandra Bose and his INA? I think I saw it when I visited Calcutta and toured his 'home-arrest' dwelling.
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:39 am

Vikram,

It is a photo of Indian troops in France in 1914.The lady in the picture is pinning a flower on one of the soldiers.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:02 am

and of course:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/

fantastic site, unbelievable wealth of resource (mpegs, pilots manuals, ORBATS), and very helpful webmasters, specially if you are looking for specific bits of information like IAF camo colours or unit markings.
Managed to dig out my old mans records,thought would share it with all of you.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Datab ... srnum=4436

cheers

Sanjay

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:30 am

Sanjay,

You certainly must be proud of your father.Must be interesting listening to all the stories.

hellfire_m16
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by hellfire_m16 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi Sanjay,

It was nice going through your dads records.

Is there any site where records of Ex- Indian Army Officers can be sourced.

Regards,

Vinayaka
"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper they lose their worth."
-Chuck Norris

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Hi penpusher

thanks for sharing ur family war history, something like this should be kept for our kids. As many family tend to forget what their grandfathers did duirng wartime.

once upon a time i was a young lad in the scouts, :oops: i met an old timer, who showed me how to tie a fig 8 knot, he said that he had to tie one handed during the tranches in the first war, as he was hanging in a deep tranch , half way down and his mate throw him a rope without a loop so he had to let go with one had to tie a knot, this saved his life. i have never forgoten the old timers story as to me they are priceless story.
so mate keep the story and photoes in good conditons.

nagarifle

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:54 pm

Nagarifle,

Sheesh.Don't you read.It is Sanjay who had posted about his fathers medals/battle experience.These speed readers.... :roll:

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Good stuff penpusher... forget about anything else, how many kids LIVING IN Delhi actually know in whose honour the India Gate memorial was erected? :roll:

BTW - can you imagine how alien a place Europe must have been for those soldiers? Almost akin to one of us suddenly finding himself on Mars! Hats off to all of them, those that came back and were forgotten by their own country and to those who never made it back and now lie somewhere in a foreign land...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein